• Sep 17th, 2022 3:30 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 4, 2011
5623 posts
6921 upvotes
Montreal

Samsung Galaxy S20 5G -- eSIM capable?

Does anyone know if the Galaxy S20 5G sold in Canada is eSIM capable?
17 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
2906 posts
968 upvotes
I just got the phone and wasn't offered it...not sure that answers your question though
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 4, 2011
5623 posts
6921 upvotes
Montreal
redsfan wrote: I just got the phone and wasn't offered it...not sure that answers your question though
Thanks. Yeah, I haven't figured it out yet. I have the phone as well, but I bought it directly from Samsung and just put my SIM in it. Now I'm thinking I may want to have two lines on my phone, and I'm trying to figure out if it supports eSIM. I'm seeing a lot of inconsistent information, including: 1) "no", 2) "yes, but will only be enabled in a future firmware update", and 3) "yes". Looking outside Canada, it seems like some of the models in the U.S. show two IMEIs on the box, while others don't. (I'll have to dig out my box to see what mine shows.) Not sure what that means though.
Jun 2, 2010
694 posts
380 upvotes
Toronto
TELUS: Unlimited 25 $37.50/25GB x 2 (50 GB pooled data)
AT&T Prepaid Unlimited MAX: Unlimited talk & text in and between the U.S., Canada, & Mexico, ?? GB data
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 4, 2011
5623 posts
6921 upvotes
Montreal
Thanks. Yeah, I had already seen that, but to me, it's just people speculating.

Based on your statement, are you saying the the Canadian variants do not have the hardware for it, or they have the hardware but is just disabled?
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2016
1754 posts
1198 upvotes
GTA
efrant wrote: Thanks. Yeah, I haven't figured it out yet. I have the phone as well, but I bought it directly from Samsung and just put my SIM in it. Now I'm thinking I may want to have two lines on my phone, and I'm trying to figure out if it supports eSIM. I'm seeing a lot of inconsistent information, including: 1) "no", 2) "yes, but will only be enabled in a future firmware update", and 3) "yes". Looking outside Canada, it seems like some of the models in the U.S. show two IMEIs on the box, while others don't. (I'll have to dig out my box to see what mine shows.) Not sure what that means though.
Check your box if it has 2 IMEIs that means it has esim support.

On a related note, my 3a XL box shows 2 IMEIs - one for the physical sim slot and the other for the esim
++ $8 talk text data plan + $0 3GB data only plan + Pixel 3a XL
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 4, 2011
5623 posts
6921 upvotes
Montreal
ryanrudolf wrote: Check your box if it has 2 IMEIs that means it has esim support.

On a related note, my 3a XL box shows 2 IMEIs - one for the physical sim slot and the other for the esim
I'll check my box when at home tonight, but based on some additional reading I've done, it seems like it will only show two IMEIs when the eSIM is enabled.

That being said, it seems like all S20s have the hardware requirements, but it's just disabled via software, and can be enabled by changing the CSC. I need to do some more reading before attempting.
Jun 2, 2010
694 posts
380 upvotes
Toronto
efrant wrote: Thanks. Yeah, I had already seen that, but to me, it's just people speculating.

Based on your statement, are you saying the the Canadian variants do not have the hardware for it, or they have the hardware but is just disabled?
You don’t know who @CHMultimedia is? He is the foremost expert at Samsung Members in Canada. He tells the Samsung moderators what Samsung is doing before Samsung Canada tells them! LOL

I quoted his post with my link.

There is lots of talk over at Reddit. Samsung Canada does not allow eSIM:
Directly from Samsung Canada customer care:

Please be advised that currently there are no Samsung Canada released Mobile phones supporting ESim
It looks to me that the S20 series have the hardware to support eSIM, but Samsung Canada deliberately blocks it.

Apple and Google stand up to the North American carriers. I don’t understand why Samsung lets the carriers tell them how things are supposed to work.
AT&T Prepaid Unlimited MAX: Unlimited talk & text in and between the U.S., Canada, & Mexico, ?? GB data
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2001
7526 posts
1475 upvotes
Alberta
Is there a dual sim S20 5G? Another phone under consideration is the LG V60 5G dual screen...single sim I think....better value?

Dave
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2016
1445 posts
2015 upvotes
Waterloo Region
This∆

Unfortunately Samsung Canada phones are the most useless of all the Samsung released phones. I remember when I was active in my XDA with a galaxy S4 and after that an S6. It was always frustrating waiting almost 6 months for a software update, when the rest of the world has moved on.
That mobile hotspot thingy though, that was just some cold $h!t
Jun 2, 2010
694 posts
380 upvotes
Toronto
DavidY wrote: Is there a dual sim S20 5G?
It looks like most markets in the world sell dual SIM S20 5G series (Canada and the USA do not):

‘The Galaxy S20 is Samsung’s second smartphone (series) to feature an eSIM, after the Galaxy Fold. The new flagship also has dual SIM slots, one of which is a hybrid, in addition to an eSIM in most markets. Technically, this allows you to have three SIMs running on your phone, or two SIMs and one microSD card at the same time ...’

Source:
SamMobile
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2001
7526 posts
1475 upvotes
Alberta
TheNightOwl wrote: It looks like most markets in the world sell dual SIM S20 5G series (Canada and the USA do not):

‘The Galaxy S20 is Samsung’s second smartphone (series) to feature an eSIM, after the Galaxy Fold. The new flagship also has dual SIM slots, one of which is a hybrid, in addition to an eSIM in most markets. Technically, this allows you to have three SIMs running on your phone, or two SIMs and one microSD card at the same time ...’

Source:
SamMobile
While talking to my employer's cell phone provider here in Alberta, he said that Samsung S10 and S20 have dual sims. My work plan is Telus.

I am considering these two models as well as the LG V60 5G dual screen single sim.

Dual sim is a want, not a need. LG V60 5G and S20 5G are neck and neck. Decisions....

Dave
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 4, 2011
5623 posts
6921 upvotes
Montreal
DavidY wrote: While talking to my employer's cell phone provider here in Alberta, he said that Samsung S10 and S20 have dual sims. My work plan is Telus.

I am considering these two models as well as the LG V60 5G dual screen single sim.

Dual sim is a want, not a need. LG V60 5G and S20 5G are neck and neck. Decisions....

Dave
I'm switching back to the Pixel line as soon as Google releases a phone that supports 5G. At least I know the Pixel devices in Canada support eSIM. The Galaxy S20 was my first non-Google device in years, and I don't see the benefit of it over a Pixel, other than 5G (and mircoSD support, which isn't all that important). I got it because I wanted a device with 5G and Android mirroring (which I haven't been able to get working yet), but my needs have changed, and I'd rather have 5G and eSIM.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2001
7526 posts
1475 upvotes
Alberta
efrant wrote: I'm switching back to the Pixel line as soon as Google releases a phone that supports 5G. At least I know the Pixel devices in Canada support eSIM. The Galaxy S20 was my first non-Google device in years, and I don't see the benefit of it over a Pixel, other than 5G (and mircoSD support, which isn't all that important). I got it because I wanted a device with 5G and Android mirroring (which I haven't been able to get working yet), but my needs have changed, and I'd rather have 5G and eSIM.
My provider does not carry Pixel in their lineup. Was looking at the Pixel 4XL. If i had to pay out of my own pocket, i would be considering the 4a or if discounted, the 3a as a mid range,

What is scary is that they can drop the esim feature at any time (see Pixel 3).

Dave
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 4, 2011
5623 posts
6921 upvotes
Montreal
DavidY wrote: My provider does not carry Pixel in their lineup. Was looking at the Pixel 4XL. If i had to pay out of my own pocket, i would be considering the 4a or if discounted, the 3a as a mid range,

What is scary is that they can drop the esim feature at any time (see Pixel 3).

Dave
Ideally they'd start selling dual-SIM phones in Canada, but I that's wishful thinking.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2009
2682 posts
304 upvotes
Mississauga
I believe some phone here in Canada most Providers support for phone for eSim are iPhone Xr, Xs, Xs Max, Google Pixel 3a or Pixel 3a XL ... [Maybe Pixel 4 also but I can be wrong on this one]
Jun 2, 2010
694 posts
380 upvotes
Toronto
efrant wrote: Ideally they'd start selling dual-SIM phones in Canada, but I that's wishful thinking.
OnePlus phones in Canada all have a dual nano-SIM slot. The OnePlus 8 and OnePlus 8 Pro have 5G: OnePlus Phones
Aug 4, 2019
562 posts
281 upvotes
ONTARIO
TheNightOwl wrote: You don’t know who @CHMultimedia is? He is the foremost expert at Samsung Members in Canada. He tells the Samsung moderators what Samsung is doing before Samsung Canada tells them! LOL

I quoted his post with my link.

There is lots of talk over at Reddit. Samsung Canada does not allow eSIM:

It looks to me that the S20 series have the hardware to support eSIM, but Samsung Canada deliberately blocks it.

Apple and Google stand up to the North American carriers. I don’t understand why Samsung lets the carriers tell them how things are supposed to work.
Apples market share is too big carriers have to listen.
Googles market share is too small they don't care.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)