Cell Phones

Samsung Galaxy S8 slower than the Google Pixel 2 XL?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 11th, 2021 10:03 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
20707 posts
1063 upvotes
Shanghai, China

Samsung Galaxy S8 slower than the Google Pixel 2 XL?

I think the specs on these two phones are fairly similar. Yet, my s8 is noticeably slower than my P2 XL. They both have the same amount of apps installed. Both phones are using the same OS version and have the latest security updates. The S8 isn't really aging well. Anyone here noticed this? My P2XL is about as fast as it was brand new.
8 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
17404 posts
3863 upvotes
Toronto
Is the S8 running a stock Android OS like the Pixel 2 XL?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
20707 posts
1063 upvotes
Shanghai, China
audit13 wrote: Is the S8 running a stock Android OS like the Pixel 2 XL?
No, but I remember it was much faster and responsive. Now it's noticeably slower. Both phones were acquired at roughly the same time.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
4796 posts
2159 upvotes
GTA
Stock android on Pixels is generally known for being snappy feeling whereas the Samsung skin has been perceived as heavy for years. This is sometimes why specs don't always tell the whole story.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
20707 posts
1063 upvotes
Shanghai, China
Dave98 wrote: Stock android on Pixels is generally known for being snappy feeling whereas the Samsung skin has been perceived as heavy for years. This is sometimes why specs don't always tell the whole story.
I know that, but the S8 was noticeably faster when I first bought it. It's almost like with each new update I install, it gets even slower.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
17404 posts
3863 upvotes
Toronto
Sgt_Strider wrote: No, but I remember it was much faster and responsive. Now it's noticeably slower. Both phones were acquired at roughly the same time.
Maybe it just felt snappier at the beginning and slowly became bogged down with Samsung bloatware? I'm not sure because I have not had an Android phone for many years.
Aug 18, 2019
289 posts
212 upvotes
DON'T. EVER. BUY. SAMSUNG! as they're only fast on first year and after software update they become much slower with bloatwares. Had that with my s4. I switched to google nexus and pixel after that and never ever look back. I suspect not only it's because of the bloatwares, Samsung could be deliberately slowing down the phones to entice buyer to change to new phone.
~ 👍teslanaire2bitcoinaireButStillCheapLurking@RFDForDeals✌️~
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2009
1583 posts
1259 upvotes
Montreal
Factory reset.

I have a S8+ and sometimes feels like it's slowing down but manageable. I'm on Android 9. 8 and 7 were faster.

Still holding. Need a dual phone with a good camera (with telephoto). Hopefully Pixel 6 thicks those 2.

Edit. Pixel phones has vanilla Android OS. Samsung has there own custom UI baked in Android OS. This unfortunately can slow down your phone with the Samsung bloatware.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
20707 posts
1063 upvotes
Shanghai, China
audit13 wrote: Maybe it just felt snappier at the beginning and slowly became bogged down with Samsung bloatware? I'm not sure because I have not had an Android phone for many years.
elpaso wrote: Factory reset.

I have a S8+ and sometimes feels like it's slowing down but manageable. I'm on Android 9. 8 and 7 were faster.

Still holding. Need a dual phone with a good camera (with telephoto). Hopefully Pixel 6 thicks those 2.

Edit. Pixel phones has vanilla Android OS. Samsung has there own custom UI baked in Android OS. This unfortunately can slow down your phone with the Samsung bloatware.
I just bought the S21 Ultra to replace both, but I guess I can't expect too much in 3 years' time if this is how Samsung does things. My P2XL is surprisingly snappy for such an old phone. Good job Google!