Expired Hot Deals

Samsung Galaxy S9 or Apple iPhone 8 - $0 on Koodo Medium Tab + $150 GC @ Best Buy + Now Wow Mobile / Wal-Mart / RCSS

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 24th, 2019 4:05 pm
Oct 8, 2015
543 posts
245 upvotes
Thank you so much for the trick. Do I also need to change billing address to pay less tax? I though tax was based on billing address instead of the number we’re using?

By the way, do you know other carrier that also has conevenient ways to port in using web services, or just Bell?

ThanksGrinning Face With Smiling Eyes
MilkyWind wrote:
Dec 26th, 2018 11:08 am
Yes to all your questions. After your number is ported, your service with koodo will automatically be cancelled after a few hours. Then it takes anywhere from 2 days-3 weeks for your final bill to appear in your koodo self serve and mailed to you.

To be also charged less tax, you could also change your number to an Alberta number in koodo before porting. Instructions for changing numbers is:

Login to Koodo
Click Self Serve
Click Track Your Repair

Don't do the callback thing. You can do it urself under Track Your Repair.
May 21, 2015
222 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto, ON
No one knows. Winking Face
I think its 50/50 here on of who supports buy/cancel, or taking advantage of this multiple times or as a reseller.
I understand the 'moral' standpoint or what have you. Regardless, I'm not reselling, just simply want a new phone to keep with my current $60/10GB plan on Telus. I did this once before, last year and it was flawless but just seem to recall hearing that you're flagged in the system, or will be unable to sign up again after. I suppose if their terms are the same it shouldn't be any different in terms of clawback just figured they would have caught on by now and changed it after last year!
Dec 25, 2018
11 posts
I didn't know these kind of Koodo deals has been around for over a year, I dunno why they haven't made any changes yet because there's no way they aren't bleeding money every time someone cancel.
Mar 27, 2016
81 posts
104 upvotes
Vancouver
h2lam wrote:
Dec 26th, 2018 10:56 pm
I am with Fido currently on BYOD plan. They said they can offer me $55/month for 5GB with unlimited calling and S9 for $0 or S9+ for $125. Activation fee is an extra $35 which some agents can waive it (give you credits to cover it) and some agent won't waive it. No Best Buy gift card for Fido deal. So which deal is better for S9+? Koodo for Fido then?

I know that for S9, it sounds like Koodo is better because you only pay $0+ HST for the phone, then $50/month with 4 GB for the actual plan each month and $150 bonus Best Buy Gift card right? I am confused when I read on Telus website when they said this below for S9? hmmmm

What do they mean by you pay $150 for the S9 and put the rest on tab? I am not with Koodo right now so confused when I read this? So how much do you actually pay for the phone and plan in the end? hmmmmm

Tab Medium
Was $600 Save $450!
You'll pay $150 for your phone and put the rest ($360.00) on your Tab
Pay a $15 monthly Tab charge for 24 months, and then you'll only pay your monthly plan charge
Plans start from $45/month
Includes $545 in activation credits
https://www.koodomobile.com/phones/samsung-galaxy-s9
If you try to get on the $55/5gb medium plan at Best Buy, you may be eligible for a $150 Best Buy gift card. The S9 will be $0. (If the deal is still on tmr). My friend was able to get this when he changed from a BYOP plan to this medium plan, at first the sales rep said the deal might not work as this $55 plan is a targeted loyalty plan, but ended up he was able to put it through the system.

If you decide to leave Fido and port your number to Koodo and get a medium plan (for example $45/2gb), you will be paying the $45/month plus $15 tab charge/month, your bill will be $60. Basically you're paying $15 tab charge x 24 months = $360. Right now, the deal (if it's not over) is $0 for the S9 ($150 Best Buy gift card also), so basically the phone is $360 + tax. Koodo's cancellation policy is that as long as you pay off the phone tab ($360) and any usage fees, you can cancel any time. If you stay with Koodo for 2 years, then the phone is paid off and you will continue pay $45 a month for this 2gb plan, as an example.

The difference between Fido and Koodo is you're paying $0 for the phone if you stay 2 years on the $55 plan (cannot cancel early as there will be penalty), whereas for Koodo you're paying $360 for the phone but supposedly you're not stuck on the plan for 2 years.

Edit: $35 activation fees apply for both situations, though some people have posted that Koodo puts this back as bill credit after 2nd or 3rd month.
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2003
2028 posts
149 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
naticom wrote:
Dec 27th, 2018 1:12 am
Thank you so much for the trick. Do I also need to change billing address to pay less tax? I though tax was based on billing address instead of the number we’re using?

By the way, do you know other carrier that also has conevenient ways to port in using web services, or just Bell?

ThanksGrinning Face With Smiling Eyes
As long as you have an Alberta number, it taxes u based on your number. Not your address. What if you are actually from Alberta, and you are traveling or working temporarly in another province? Doesn't make sense that number would use another province's tax system.

I don't know of any other porting besides bell that offers free porting on a prepaid you don't have to activate. The bell porting was what was recommended last year.
Gtaphotog wrote:
Dec 27th, 2018 12:39 am
Freedom?
I'm on the grandfathered 39/month plan that has 5gb LTE in home area & 1gb data in the USA n unlimited text n calls there too so I'm not going anywhere anytime soon

I used to have issues traveling in the areas that are to and from Niagara falls but my recent trip I had Spotify and Gmaps on with proper service the entire way.

Since Shaw stepped in they're Network grew tenfold.

As of now they are the only network provider with service in the TTC subway system.
lol I have a grandfathered 29 a month unlimited everything plus voicemail with freedom. And they added LTE to all the grandfathered plans. I always thought about the long run when smartphones first came out. Go with a cheap plan and stay with it. Then try to find a smartphone for cheap instead of switching to another courier every few years to get a subsidized phone which in the long run, will cost you more cause of the expensive plan.

And yeah, freedom coverage/service has improved by a lot since shaw took over. I think they're the only ones where you can get reception at the skytrains too in Vancouver? And when you travel to the states, you can add a 5 dollar per month addon that allows u unlimited talk/data while roaming.
Dec 19, 2006
403 posts
314 upvotes
Vancouver
dankthetank wrote:
Dec 27th, 2018 1:46 am
I understand the 'moral' standpoint or what have you. Regardless, I'm not reselling, just simply want a new phone to keep with my current $60/10GB plan on Telus. I did this once before, last year and it was flawless but just seem to recall hearing that you're flagged in the system, or will be unable to sign up again after. I suppose if their terms are the same it shouldn't be any different in terms of clawback just figured they would have caught on by now and changed it after last year!
As far as I know, the only drawback is they will deny you the ability to sign a contract and grab a phone. There's nothing for them to claw back really, everything is stated in the contract you signed. The only thing in there mentioning gift cards is if you want to return the phone. You can also try calling Koodo and see if they're willing to offer you their $60/10GB plan, which is medium tab eligible. I think some current customers are receiving that as a targeted offer. Just state your plan with Telus, and say you want to switch if they can offer something comparable.
Dec 19, 2006
403 posts
314 upvotes
Vancouver
ExperaPest wrote:
Dec 27th, 2018 2:07 am
I didn't know these kind of Koodo deals has been around for over a year, I dunno why they haven't made any changes yet because there's no way they aren't bleeding money every time someone cancel.
Some of that probably has to do with numbers reporting to shareholders. It looks good when you can say you have a spike in new activations or upgrades. It's kinda like how Rogers and Fido don't seem interested in offering retentions deals to keep you as a customer anymore, but they're willing to offer you "Winback" deals. They get to claim you as a new activation then.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2006
2286 posts
601 upvotes
Calgary
AndrewW063715 wrote:
Dec 27th, 2018 5:40 am
Any guesses if this deal will still be alive today??
it's still on the best buy website so yes. is there stock? maybe..
Sep 22, 2007
179 posts
165 upvotes
vanwcw wrote:
Dec 26th, 2018 2:43 pm
One more question here, for new activation, does koodo refund the activation fee if the line is kept for more than three months?
They did it in the past and I got the refund after 2 months, but I am not sure if they are still doing it.
I heard there's a boxing week promo where you'll get the $35 activation fee back after 3 months.
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2017
1486 posts
865 upvotes
I thought Virgin Mobile also lets you port in a number during sign up without having to top up aka add funds to the account?
Dec 26, 2018
1 posts
Hey guys, I'm sorry I'm a noob with few questions:
1) I haven't used my credit card that much, would that matter for credit check?
2) What are the monthly plans available for this?
3) How do you port number? what's the benefit?
4) Do I have to stay with Koodo for 90 days? if not, do I pay anything else other than the 360 tab and activation fee, with a 150 gift card?
5) One of the reps in a GTA store told me yesterday that they're not offering new activations on koodo. Was he lying?
6) is it easy to cancel? When is the best time to do so?

I apologize if some of these questions were answered but I could find so many conflicting answers. I appreciate anyone who could help me.
Deal Guru
Jan 6, 2005
10926 posts
2495 upvotes
I am all for the getting phones for half price or less, so there is no moral stand point for me here, I would probably try too, if I had a need for another in market phone, but my kids are young yet, and my wife won't even take my S7, over her P10 (I know, right?).
My question is, for those that want to stay with their current provider and not lose a certain plan whatever, does it make sense, that if Koodo realizes how many phones they are selling for so cheap to people who are not paying them otherwise in the end, would they stop the TAB credits, or promos and recoup money up front?
I know it happens each year, and they haven't stopped doing the $0 up front, etc. but one has to wonder at what point they say, okay, enough giving phones away to people who aren't giving us monthly payments, so the whole program goes by the wayside. I honestly don't know how much profit they make on the phones themselves, probably nothing on these, so their profit is from the end user paying them for service. But as some mentioned, maybe it looks good on the books though that Koodo outsold any other provider etc. in the long run.
In the old way of doing things, you got subsidized phones by remaining locked into 2 or 3 year contracts with Bell, Rogers or Telus. It still sort of works the same way, when I was with Rogers, and went to port to Koodo, I had remaining balance on my phone, which by calculation, I thought was only about $120, based on months left in my contract and how much my plan had increased monthly for the contract length, but it was much more, as Rogers told me, that a portion of the monthly service fee, goes towards phone subsidy as well, on top of what they call their "tab"
The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD.

The second rule of RFD is, you DO NOT talk about RFD.
Deal Guru
Jan 6, 2005
10926 posts
2495 upvotes
For those asking about cases for their S9. This is what I am running currently on mine.
https://www.amazon.ca/Galaxy-Spigen-Tou ... s=s9+cases

I don't have a screen protector, never have used them on my Samsungs (I did on my old iPhone 4s), as I never like the look when they get marked up, some have tacky feel to them, etc.
I did order this one as well from Amazon to try (in black), but haven't installed yet.
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07893H8FJ/ref ... UTF8&psc=1

But for those speaking of the clearplex, is it good? Does it crack, or show scuffs over time, where you have scrolled, etc?
My S7 screen is still immaculate, and has never had a screen protector on it, and it has been in my pocket, dropped, laid on it's face, etc. I am assuming the glass on the S9 should be just as scratch resistant.
I clean the screen regularly with a microfibre cloth, or the type used for glasses... and use Whoosh screen cleaner, when the fingerprints, etc get annoying, or it just needs a refresh.
The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD.

The second rule of RFD is, you DO NOT talk about RFD.
Dec 25, 2018
11 posts
jackass_ca wrote:
Dec 27th, 2018 7:47 am
For those asking about cases for their S9. This is what I am running currently on mine.
https://www.amazon.ca/Galaxy-Spigen-Tou ... s=s9+cases

I don't have a screen protector, never have used them on my Samsungs (I did on my old iPhone 4s), as I never like the look when they get marked up, some have tacky feel to them, etc.
I did order this one as well from Amazon to try (in black), but haven't installed yet.
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07893H8FJ/ref ... UTF8&psc=1

But for those speaking of the clearplex, is it good? Does it crack, or show scuffs over time, where you have scrolled, etc?
My S7 screen is still immaculate, and has never had a screen protector on it, and it has been in my pocket, dropped, laid on it's face, etc. I am assuming the glass on the S9 should be just as scratch resistant.
I clean the screen regularly with a microfibre cloth, or the type used for glasses... and use Whoosh screen cleaner, when the fingerprints, etc get annoying, or it just needs a refresh.
It's good in the sense that you get unlimited replacement and someone install it for you. It isn't glass so it's possible for it to get scratched and beat up after a while but it can often self-heal from small micro-scratches. It also doesn't feel like plastic which is a big plus. Replacement is so hassle-free, just need to bring your device with the clearplex and show receipt.