Expired Hot Deals

Samsung Galaxy S9 or Apple iPhone 8 - $0 on Koodo Medium Tab + $150 GC @ Best Buy + Now Wow Mobile / Wal-Mart / RCSS

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 24th, 2019 4:05 pm
Nov 30, 2018
29 posts
117 upvotes
starbuckscoffee wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2018 9:52 pm
Thanks OP! Just got my S9 phone.

a question for those experts out there. I noticed that there is an unlock phone function on Koodo's self serve page. Phone is still sealed in box. Do I need to insert sim and activate phone and then do the unlock function before cancelling my service?

Phones should now be sold unlocked according to the December CRTC ruling but it's better to give that a try rather than nothing.

If the unlock code they give is UNLOCK_NOT_SENT, that means that the phone is already unlocked. If you're still wary, you should ask Koodo if your phone is now unlocked right before cancelling.

Keep in mind that your Samsung Galaxy S9 will erase itself once you put in your SIM for the first time.
If you set it up without a SIM and are planning to put a SIM into it later on, your phone will reset and restore since it is installing the carrier's apps (and bloatware) onto your device (CSC).
Therefore, it's important to put in the SIM card before setting anything up (so that you don't have to set things up twice), and it's important to put in the SIM card of the carrier you will end up using if you want the carrier-associated apps e.g. MyRogers, My Telus, MyBell/Bell TV apps, VoLTE settings only available on certain CSCs.
This sort of "SIM activation" and carrier app installation only occurs on the first SIM you put in.

Side note: there is a way to change your CSCs if you want the other carrier's apps/settings but I can't guarantee it'll work on all models of the Samsung S9.
Feb 5, 2006
6297 posts
750 upvotes
Toronto
Gtaphotog wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2018 9:10 pm
You just 'buy' a prepaid card with the BB GC.
Just walk over the main cashier counter and buy a Visa $150 card before you leave the store. Fee is about $7 per card.
Dec 19, 2006
389 posts
299 upvotes
Vancouver
kgrear wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2018 10:49 pm
Question if you have 30$ left on your tab say with Virgin mobile and you want to transfer to Koodo to get this deal do you have to pay off your tab first or will they bill you later?
Isn't this promo also available with Virgin? Or are gold plans significantly more expensive than the plan you'd pick with Koodo? In any case this sounds like the perfect opportunity to negotiate with Virgin for a better deal since you're willing to leave Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Jul 20, 2003
833 posts
33 upvotes
Toronto
theastromechdroid wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2018 10:53 pm
Phones should now be sold unlocked according to the December CRTC ruling but it's better to give that a try rather than nothing.

If the unlock code they give is UNLOCK_NOT_SENT, that means that the phone is already unlocked. If you're still wary, you should ask Koodo if your phone is now unlocked right before cancelling.

Keep in mind that your Samsung Galaxy S9 will erase itself once you put in your SIM for the first time.
If you set it up without a SIM and are planning to put a SIM into it later on, your phone will reset and restore since it is installing the carrier's apps (and bloatware) onto your device (CSC).
Therefore, it's important to put in the SIM card before setting anything up (so that you don't have to set things up twice), and it's important to put in the SIM card of the carrier you will end up using if you want the carrier-associated apps e.g. MyRogers, My Telus, MyBell/Bell TV apps, VoLTE settings only available on certain CSCs.
This sort of "SIM activation" and carrier app installation only occurs on the first SIM you put in.

Side note: there is a way to change your CSCs if you want the other carrier's apps/settings but I can't guarantee it'll work on all models of the Samsung S9.
On the first SIM use, I wouldn't use any of these carriers. All of them contain bloatware, isn't it better to use one of those Petro gas sim's that doesn't contain any bloaware?
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2003
2027 posts
148 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
jadoogar wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2018 9:51 pm
If you are going on an extended vacation overseas you can suspend the phone
So far sure we won't get added to a ban list if we cancel after 90 days if we do it this way with a suspension?
Jun 13, 2012
90 posts
121 upvotes
Calgary
Just got a grey S9, $150 Best Buy gift card and changed my plan to $45/8GB, SK number. Thanks OP!

$269.50 all in with SK tax. Might go back to get the iPhone 8...
Last edited by Opacac on Dec 22nd, 2018 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sep 13, 2016
314 posts
457 upvotes
Mississauga
Anybody get this on Black Friday and cancel Koodo and get this today for the iPhone 8? I’m looking to get a 2nd one but hope I’m not blacklisted at Best Buy.
Oct 13, 2008
396 posts
172 upvotes
Toronto
MilkyWind wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2018 11:09 pm
So far sure we won't get added to a ban list if we cancel after 90 days if we do it this way with a suspension?
Others can chime in who have done this but they allow you to pay off the tab after 3 months, so what is stopping you from porting your no. after the tab is paid off.
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2018
1816 posts
1289 upvotes
Is there any other type of service suspension aside for the "Seasonal Hold Plan" that costs $15/month and can only be used if account has been open for at least 90 days?
Nov 30, 2018
29 posts
117 upvotes
xjune9x wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2018 11:08 pm
On the first SIM use, I wouldn't use any of these carriers. All of them contain bloatware, isn't it better to use one of those Petro gas sim's that doesn't contain any bloaware?
That would be a great idea and I think Koodo may have no bloatware as well (they removed their apps a while back in favour of web apps)!

If you're using a carrier such as Telus and require VOLTE calling however, you'll definitely need to put in their SIM first or else the settings will simply not exist on your device (from what I've gathered) This may be the case with other carrier specific CSCs so definitely do research on carrier features that you absolutely need.
5889 posts
1660 upvotes
Montreal
hey, I got a referral from a friend for Koodo. I received an email with a link to enter a koodo number.
Do I just sign up via Best Buy, and enter my number later, or do I need to mention it to the rep before hand?
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2006
1893 posts
436 upvotes
theastromechdroid wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2018 10:53 pm

Cant you just factory reset?
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2018
1816 posts
1289 upvotes
If I want to get another phone tomorrow from Walmart (assuming the deal is still on & in stock) would there be any issues as I just signed up and got one today (from BB)?
Nov 24, 2016
666 posts
647 upvotes
Madevilz wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2018 11:31 pm
hey, I got a referral from a friend for Koodo. I received an email with a link to enter a koodo number.
Do I just sign up via Best Buy, and enter my number later, or do I need to mention it to the rep before hand?
The first one.
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2018
1816 posts
1289 upvotes
J_u_n_i_o_r_3 wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2018 11:33 pm
Cant you just factory reset?
It'll still restart when you put the sim card in, it needs to restart to be able to apply the carrier specific settings for various features to work. Phones and sim cards are much more sophisticated these days, they carry more data (information).