Expired Hot Deals

Samsung Galaxy S9 or Apple iPhone 8 - $0 on Koodo Medium Tab + $150 GC @ Best Buy + Now Wow Mobile / Wal-Mart / RCSS

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 24th, 2019 4:05 pm
Nov 30, 2018
29 posts
117 upvotes
Gtaphotog wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2018 12:42 am
Has anyone CONFIRMED that the S9's are coming unlocked from Koodo?
Phones theoretically come unlocked ever since the CRTC ruling but I can confidently tell you right now that the S9s coming from Koodo are CONFIRMED unlocked.

Source: bought an S9 from Koodo no more than a month ago, was already unlocked.

Edit: I was cautious as well prior to getting a phone from Koodo but if it's any consolation, they also have this handy link on their self-serve page that allows you to immediately request your phone to be unlocked. Unlock code they gave me was UNLOCK_NOT_SENT and I verified with a Koodo rep later on what that meant. That meant that the phone was already unlocked even though I didn't do anything with that code.
Last edited by theastromechdroid on Dec 23rd, 2018 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
97 posts
9 upvotes
theastromechdroid wrote: Sorry for the wording there - you can definitely return the phone once it's been shipped to you. See more info here.

You won't get any charges since the phone / SIM obviously wasn't used (or even delivered yet). That way, you effectively get the S9 without paying a cent for the S8 since you returned it.

To sum it all up, if you cancel the S8, you will end up cancelling the plan but paying the tab balance (and any applicable charges) for the S8.
If you return the S8, you will return the phone and plan with no harm/charges done.

I wouldn't advise adding a line since you'll take a credit hit, I'd rather return the phone altogether and just get the the S9.
Thx. It’s actually the iPhone I am getting. I will talk to their customer service. I called them to cancel and pay off my tab but decided to board this one.
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2018
1831 posts
1309 upvotes
theastromechdroid wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2018 12:51 am
Phones theoretically come unlocked ever since the CRTC ruling but I can confidently tell you right now that the S9s coming from Koodo are CONFIRMED unlocked.

Source: bought an S9 from Koodo no more than a month ago, was already unlocked.
Ok good that's all I was asking, I'm very well aware of the CRTC and all the news and laws yet that's literally the same thing everyone here keeps repeating yet not provided actual evidence. Thank you.
Sep 6, 2011
775 posts
1184 upvotes
Thatdealguy wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2018 10:34 pm
That's not very nice and you are pretty lucky. The rep did all the work and couldn't get the bonus.

Rep activation 30 activations and was about to get a $500 bonus but you canceled on the same day.

They just lost $500 because of you. Anyway, for those who are planning to cancel, just do it after 90 days.
Safer and better for everyone.
Unless the rep is giving me some of that $500 bonus to pay for the 3 months, yeah, I'm porting out as soon as I can.
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2018
1831 posts
1309 upvotes
isgaard wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2018 12:58 am

Unless the rep is giving me some of that $500 bonus to pay for the 3 months, yeah, I'm porting out as soon as I can.
Lol

I wouldn't exactly say the rep is "loosing" $500, they're just not gaining $500 because of said person.
Last edited by Gtaphotog on Dec 23rd, 2018 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 30, 2018
29 posts
117 upvotes
supermaster wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2018 12:53 am
Thx. It’s actually the iPhone I am getting. I will talk to their customer service. I called them to cancel and pay off my tab but decided to board this one.
Oh wow, no clue how I mixed that up but whenever I say S8 I was referring to your CPO iPhone 8 and whenever I say S9, I'm referring to the Best Buy iPhone 8 Boxing Day offer!
Same thing with the returns and cancellations. Return the CPO iPhone 8 if you want the Boxing Day iPhone 8 deal only, cancel the CPO iPhone 8 if you want to keep the CPO and pay off the tab (plus applicable charges).

Sorry about that Face With Tears Of Joy.
7 posts
1 upvote
Quick question. Let's say I cancel after 90 days, do I get a credit hit?

Reason I ask is I'm actually interested in joining with Koodo, but if I change my mind, I don't want to suffer a credit hit.
Last edited by normaxon on Dec 23rd, 2018 1:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Apr 23, 2008
9 posts
1 upvote
i just upgraded 2 lines yesterday thru TMS, will they match this deal or i should cancel it and go to best buy... lol
Sep 27, 2016
63 posts
3 upvotes
Hoping that there's still some stock tomorrow morning and the RFD effect hasn't hit too soon...
Dec 4, 2013
452 posts
177 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
normaxon wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2018 1:10 am
Quick question. Let's say I cancel after 90 days, do I get a credit hit?
They do a soft credit check when you go to get the phone. However, unlike a hard credit check it doesn't have much of an impact on your credit score. Regardless if you cancel or don't cancel after 90 days, the soft credit check happens at the beginning when you sign up, and there are no more credit hits afterwards.

Edit: My mistake, it is a hard credit check. However, from what I've read on another thread: "when a lender (or mortgage provider in your case) sees an inquiry from a cell phone provider, they'll know you're not applying for a line of credit or credit card, it's a cell phone contract, and it'll be overlooked."

Link to Thread: do-mobile-carriers-do-hard-soft-credit-checks-2176591/
Last edited by pistoche on Dec 23rd, 2018 1:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dec 14, 2018
39 posts
1 upvote
Does anyone know if any other phones are eligible for this deal? Like S8+ or LG G7?
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2012
2572 posts
683 upvotes
West
pistoche wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2018 1:13 am
They do a soft credit check when you go to get the phone. However, unlike a hard credit check it doesn't have much of an impact on your credit score. Regardless if you cancel or don't cancel after 90 days, the soft credit check happens at the beginning when you sign up, and there are no more credit hits afterwards.
Almost positive it's a hard credit check.
On the Koodo $40 for 6GB Plan 😉
Nov 27, 2016
97 posts
9 upvotes
theastromechdroid wrote: Oh wow, no clue how I mixed that up but whenever I say S8 I was referring to your CPO iPhone 8 and whenever I say S9, I'm referring to the Best Buy iPhone 8 Boxing Day offer!
Same thing with the returns and cancellations. Return the CPO iPhone 8 if you want the Boxing Day iPhone 8 deal only, cancel the CPO iPhone 8 if you want to keep the CPO and pay off the tab (plus applicable charges).

Sorry about that Face With Tears Of Joy.
LoL it’s fine. Face With Tears Of Joy Thanks for the information anyway.
Dec 4, 2013
452 posts
177 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
WhatsTheRush wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2018 1:19 am
Almost positive it's a hard credit check.
My apologies, you're right, it's a hard credit check. I will edit my comment to reflect that.