Expired Hot Deals

Samsung Galaxy S9 or Apple iPhone 8 - $0 on Koodo Medium Tab + $150 GC @ Best Buy + Now Wow Mobile / Wal-Mart / RCSS

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 25th, 2019 7:35 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2009
2002 posts
710 upvotes
doctorgonzo wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2018 1:30 pm
Is this a legit concern? Are there actual instances of this happening or just a rumor?
I actually don't know whether it has happened before.

All I know was that there were unverified reports 1-2 years ago, and the trend was to put your line on "holiday/vacation" mode (so you only get billed 1/2 the monthly plan cost), and cancel right after 90 days. Apparently there was something in the contract that specified promotions could be clawed back or the value of the promotion could be added to your bill if cancelled within 90 days.
Last edited by goodguy90 on Dec 23rd, 2018 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apr 23, 2008
24 posts
4 upvotes
kyw3040 wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2018 1:26 pm
Anybody in GVRD find iPhone 8 in stock this morning? Why don’t these guys pick up their phones...
Marine and cambie have less than 10 iPhone 8 and 1 s9 purple left after I got it... This is what I can see in thr cabinet...
Nov 10, 2016
280 posts
142 upvotes
Upgrade koodo and got a s9 in Mississauga + 150 Gift Card, but had to pay $35 fee
Jul 27, 2014
250 posts
129 upvotes
Montreal, QC
tntdeal wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2018 1:34 pm
If $34 doesn't work then you can just go for $1 more for 1GB more.

The $25 should be combinable with the promo, but in case BB system has difficulty, tell them to call in to Koodo and they'll do it for you. The only way to know for sure is to come to BB and ask for it.
Cool thanks. I was planning on doing the 35 plan regardless but figured I would wait until getting the phone in case it requires a plan upgrade.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
6030 posts
1787 upvotes
Montreal
Anyone in south shore of Montreal was able to get the giftcard with an upgrade? If so what location?
Oct 12, 2012
782 posts
1034 upvotes
DPyro wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2018 11:06 am
Get a free sim and port out https://www.distribu-sim.ca/
What's the purpose of porting out instead of cancelling? And how does it work?

I get a Virgin SIM and port my number to them as a prepaid customer? So all I will have to pay is essentially the tab balance + however many days of service I was signed up for?
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2006
3235 posts
285 upvotes
i dont see wow mobile ofering gift card on s9 through koodo.
====================================
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2004
1602 posts
558 upvotes
goodguy90 wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2018 1:36 pm
I actually don't know whether it has happened before.

All I know was that there were unverified reports 1-2 years ago, and the trend was to put your line on "holiday/vacation" mode (so you only get billed 1/2 the monthly plan cost), and cancel right after 90 days. Apparently there was something in the contract that specified promotions could be clawed back or the value of the promotion could be added to your bill if cancelled within 90 days.
Clawbacks haven't been a thing for a LONG time.

What you're referring to is seasonal hold.

People did this to avoid being blacklisted by the retailer. 90 days of service means the retailer gets their kickback from Koodo.
:arrowu: :arrowu: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowl: :arrow: :arrowl: :arrow: B A
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2009
2002 posts
710 upvotes
doctorgonzo wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2018 1:39 pm
Clawbacks haven't been a thing for a LONG time.

What you're referring to is seasonal hold.

People did this to avoid being blacklisted by the retailer. 90 days of service means the retailer gets their kickback from Koodo.
Thanks for the clarification. Is there any point to converting my BB gift card to a prepaid visa/mastercard prior to cancelling my line then?
Deal Guru
Jan 6, 2005
11169 posts
2644 upvotes
Rep at BB in London last night that I dealt with, said that the deal was going great, and had lots of momentum, as it was featured on "red flags" as he said. Lol.
BTW, someone had mentioned before too, if for some reason they are having an issue getting approval for the various plans, etc., my rep had to remove Int' roaming in order to make the Medium tab go through. He said I can just add it back via self help or CSR. I think he said he had to remove US roaming on mine too.
The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD.

The second rule of RFD is, you DO NOT talk about RFD.
Feb 28, 2008
840 posts
333 upvotes
Canada
fearex wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2018 1:37 pm
Cool thanks. I was planning on doing the 35 plan regardless but figured I would wait until getting the phone in case it requires a plan upgrade.
If plan upgrade is required, getting that plan before or after getting the phone makes no difference.

In this promo, the GC is available for hardware upgrade on the same plan. This is convenient since you can keep your phone number. If it wasn't available, you'd have to activate a new line then cancel it, or find a way to port your phone number around a couple of times in order to keep the same number.
Sep 27, 2005
734 posts
89 upvotes
What's the approx total cost for a non-koodo customer to walk in and get this today? (Incl cancellation / port)

I'm on voip.ms and the fido $15 3gb sim so would just like to upgrade from my Axon 7 to an S9
Nov 9, 2013
470 posts
115 upvotes
Anyone know when this deal expires and if Walmart is matching or has something similar?
Deal Guru
Jan 6, 2005
11169 posts
2644 upvotes
So, also, the BB phones, do they come completely fresh, like no Koodo, Telus, etc branding or stuff, factory fresh? I updated everything on my S9 last night, smart transferred everything over, then put my SIM card in this morning and it reset the phone. Got reading online (afterwards of course) that when you put an active SIM into a new phone (unless provider branded), it resets the phone and then installs the necessary files, etc for your SIM's service provider. All good now, but a waste to do the transfer twice!
The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD.

The second rule of RFD is, you DO NOT talk about RFD.
Nov 19, 2005
983 posts
392 upvotes
Bay and Dundas still has stock, Just picked up one
[Mod's fried brains]