Expired Hot Deals

Samsung Galaxy S9 or Apple iPhone 8 - $0 on Koodo Medium Tab + $150 GC @ Best Buy + Now Wow Mobile / Wal-Mart / RCSS

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 24th, 2019 4:05 pm
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2007
8535 posts
2748 upvotes
Toronto
dZoolander wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2018 2:54 pm
I upgraded & paid my tab 4 times on each of the 2 lines in my account since Black Friday and never cancelled any services, just upgraded > paid tab > repeated. Went to Best Buy this morning with 0 balance & 0 tab on my account to get the S9 but upgrade won't go through even though I did not have a tab, not even on a new line activation. Best Buy agent calls Koodo to find out what was going on and was told there had been a restriction placed on my account which prevents me from buying new phones.

So I call Koodo when I got home and after being placed on hold, I was told that there was a 90-day policy on upgrades & since I had just recently made upgrades on both lines in the last 10 days, my account is currently under investigation with their credit department. Investigate what I asked? I don't even owe them anything, I upgraded and paid my tabs each time & my account balance is zero. I said if their policy is 90 days, then their system should not allow upgrades in their website that does not meet that criteria to begin with?

I know I may have gone overboard a bit with 8 phones in a span of a month (4 on each line), but I thought I read somewhere here that you're allowed to buy 8 phones per line or something? Has this happen to anyone else? If so, is this a permanent restriction or will the restriction get lifted after 90 days or something?
Lmao...
Koodo $40/8GB
Nov 24, 2016
641 posts
576 upvotes
Inno wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2018 3:25 pm
On the phone now with Koodo to cancel, and still not done after 30 minutes.

First CSR took all my info then referred me to Cancellation Dept. where I had to repeat everything, my reasons for leaving, etc.

They must be snowed under today with cancellation requests from BestBuy churners, so want to make it harder to cancel new lines.

I also asked them very nicely to return my $35 Activation fee since I never activated the line. After some back and forth he agreed. I'm a long-time Koodo customer with a bunch of lines, so maybe that helped.

I'm happy!
wow that's ballsy if you technically never activated the line then you don't qualify for the activation credits. If they have a recording of that you would have to pay more than just the tab, but i doubt it.
Mar 11, 2013
212 posts
251 upvotes
Brampton
It could be their policy to open the box. But, make sure they do not switch on the device. As soon as they switch on, the the setup process consumes more than 50MB data which voids your return without charge condition. The rep did that in a hurry even before I could say something. I switched on the device after coming home and saw it has already consumed 92 MB. Now, I'm pissed...
Apr 29, 2011
58 posts
18 upvotes
JIB9022 wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2018 3:09 pm
lol, 8 phones in a month, lol

You do realize, koodo was giving you "activation credit"; you obviously didn't pay full price for the phone... I can't understand what you were trying to say, by saying u have 0 balance, lol..
you abused their discount system and you got banned. it has nothing to do with the 0 balance, lol
0 balance means I don't owe them anything. I paid off the tab on the phone & monthly services so when I check my bill, it's zero. Obviously we all know the phones are discounted, that's why we are all here in this thread. What I'm saying is if it is not allowed in the first place, why is their website allowing such upgrades? There are tons people here buying these "discounted" phones and cancelling the next day and don't even plan on staying with Koodo.
Aug 1, 2012
14 posts
VICTORIA
MastaOogway wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2018 3:24 pm
There is no way you are allowed 8 phones per line in a span of a month, When you get 1, pay off the tab and get another plus pay off the tab you are risking getting flagged already. If they restore your ability to buy phones 3 months later I would be fine with that. You are supposed to be locked for 3 months on 1 sign up. Its a loophole that allows you to pay before the 3 month period. I would not have bothered letting the reps call in etc. Just risking something big. I doubt there could be any real problems but I wouldn't push it until the 3 months are up.
So bestbuy rep said I can't pay of the tab within 90 days and my online account doesn't let me. I haven't upgraded for three years before getting my S9. How are people paying off their tabs within a day?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
5844 posts
1632 upvotes
Montreal
Yay was able to upgrade with Fido to S9 at BestBuy Dix30! Thx op

Was even able to keep my bonus 1gb on my previous plan.
Last edited by Madevilz on Dec 23rd, 2018 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2016
1097 posts
442 upvotes
dZoolander wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2018 3:31 pm
0 balance means I don't owe them anything. I paid off the tab on the phone & monthly services so when I check my bill, it's zero. Obviously we all know the phones are discounted, that's why we are all here in this thread. What I'm saying is if it is not allowed in the first place, why is their website allowing such upgrades? There are tons people here buying these "discounted" phones and cancelling the next day and don't even plan on staying with Koodo.
seriously, man..
your balance has nothing to do with you getting banned.
you got banned because you abused koodo's discount system.
its not your "right" to get discounted phones from koodo, it's your "privilege", which you dont have anymore;
If anything koodo was doing you a favour, by selling you phones at discounted price, not you not owing 0 balance to koodo
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2010
1987 posts
912 upvotes
Montreal
duraikmurugan wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2018 3:29 pm
It could be their policy to open the box. But, make sure they do not switch on the device. As soon as they switch on, the the setup process consumes more than 50MB data which voids your return without charge condition. The rep did that in a hurry even before I could say something. I switched on the device after coming home and saw it has already consumed 92 MB. Now, I'm pissed...
What's this 50MB data limit? I was told 14 days and new condition for returns. I specifically asked if there are any other conditions (in the past there used to a max # of call minutes) and they said no.
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2008
3962 posts
1536 upvotes
Toronto
JIB9022 wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2018 3:35 pm
seriously, man..
your balance has nothing to do with you getting banned.
you got banned because you abused koodo's discount system.
its not your "right" to get discounted phones from koodo, it's your "privilege", which you dont have anymore;
If anything koodo was doing you a favour, by selling you phones at discounted price, not you not owing 0 balance to koodo
Yeah honestly why the f is this guy even complaining? You made your thousands of profits, you earned more money off Koodo than they will earn off yku. Be happy with what you have and move on :facepalm:
Current KOODO and FIDO customer😎
Nov 24, 2016
641 posts
576 upvotes
insomniac123 wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2018 3:34 pm
So bestbuy rep said I can't pay of the tab within 90 days and my online account doesn't let me. I haven't upgraded for three years before getting my S9. How are people paying off their tabs within a day?
glitch in the system. Its not supposed to happen. I don't know the exact conditions.
Apr 29, 2011
58 posts
18 upvotes
MastaOogway wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2018 3:24 pm
There is no way you are allowed 8 phones per line in a span of a month, When you get 1, pay off the tab and get another plus pay off the tab you are risking getting flagged already. If they restore your ability to buy phones 3 months later I would be fine with that. You are supposed to be locked for 3 months on 1 sign up. Its a loophole that allows you to pay before the 3 month period. I would not have bothered letting the reps call in etc. Just risking something big. I doubt there could be any real problems but I wouldn't push it until the 3 months are up.
Alrighty then, I didn't know that. I'm pretty sure I read that somewhere here in one of the Black Friday threads but I suppose I was misinformed. Thank you for your helpful response.
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2009
1961 posts
661 upvotes
dZoolander wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2018 2:54 pm
I upgraded & paid my tab 4 times on each of the 2 lines in my account since Black Friday and never cancelled any services, just upgraded > paid tab > repeated. Went to Best Buy this morning with 0 balance & 0 tab on my account to get the S9 but upgrade won't go through even though I did not have a tab, not even on a new line activation. Best Buy agent calls Koodo to find out what was going on and was told there had been a restriction placed on my account which prevents me from buying new phones.

So I call Koodo when I got home and after being placed on hold, I was told that there was a 90-day policy on upgrades & since I had just recently made upgrades on both lines in the last 10 days, my account is currently under investigation with their credit department. Investigate what I asked? I don't even owe them anything, I upgraded and paid my tabs each time & my account balance is zero. I said if their policy is 90 days, then their system should not allow upgrades in their website that does not meet that criteria to begin with?

I know I may have gone overboard a bit with 8 phones in a span of a month (4 on each line), but I thought I read somewhere here that you're allowed to buy 8 phones per line or something? Has this happen to anyone else? If so, is this a permanent restriction or will the restriction get lifted after 90 days or something?
Lmaooo. You went back for a ninth serving within 5 weeks?

You are the king.
Dec 19, 2006
365 posts
254 upvotes
Vancouver
dZoolander wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2018 3:31 pm
Because they aren't doing it 8 times in a month. Pretty sure they would get flagged as well if they did. What you've done amounts to the same thing as cancelling anyway at least 6 of those times.
Apr 29, 2011
58 posts
18 upvotes
randomkidx wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2018 3:37 pm
Yeah honestly why the f is this guy even complaining? You made your thousands of profits, you earned more money off Koodo than they will earn off yku. Be happy with what you have and move on :facepalm:
Not complaining, just asking. Got my answer so moving on...