Expired Hot Deals

Samsung Galaxy S9 or Apple iPhone 8 - $0 on Koodo Medium Tab + $150 GC @ Best Buy + Now Wow Mobile / Wal-Mart / RCSS

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 13th, 2019 4:49 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2014
1826 posts
678 upvotes
Toronto
How do you guys pay off your tab right away without cancelling? I just tried and said I have to wait 90 days to pay off the tab.
Dec 4, 2013
452 posts
177 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
Vincent9688 wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2018 7:02 pm
Hey do i need to activate the prepaid visa online? or is it already activated by the cashier at BB, and ready to use online with the numbers at the back? Sorry for the noob question.
You pay $6.50 + tax when you buy it as an activation fee, it'll be active after that and you could use it any time.
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2017
1248 posts
640 upvotes
Calgary
yo2boy wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2018 5:14 pm
New activations
Just went and tried. Got $150 for renewal.
They also gave me $50 in accessories and 30% off on those $50 worth.

Not bad. $240+$35 activation. Plus tax.
Minus $150 in cards and $50 in accessories.
Mar 11, 2013
204 posts
250 upvotes
Brampton
mtl-D wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2018 7:01 pm
Below is the text from agreement. It seems pretty clear to me that limits only relate to service charges (and if they will be waived). Phone can be refunded (and agreement cancelled) within 15 days if in near new condition with original packaging. Best Buy may try to use the clause to reject a return, but it won't hold up with savvy consumers as wording is clear enough.

Is there a trial period?
If you're not satisfied with your phone or the service, you can
return the phone for a full refund and cancel the service within
15 days of the start of your service. You won't be charged for
the service unless you've used more than 30 voice minutes or
50 text messages or 50 MB of data. Over those limits, we'll
only charge for the number of days before cancellation, based
on your monthly plan, plus any pay-per-use services used. If
you're a person with a disability, this trial period is extended to 30
days and the usage limits before charges apply are doubled. The
phone must be returned in near new condition with the original
packaging.
I am in the same perception as you. The wording states that it is only the service charge that will be applicable and will be applied by Koodo. This should not affect the returns.
However, earlier this year, a friend of mine was rejected the return stating this clause(he used around 45 min talk time). Guess, he must have taken it up to the manager.
Mar 11, 2011
53 posts
5 upvotes
Surrey
dgnr8 wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2018 6:16 pm
Both times I went they said it wasn’t possible and I said just try to submit. It worked both times.

Tell them now to worry about the plan and to start the transaction.

I have the same plan as yours.
I went to a different Best Buy and didn't mention the problem I had at the first store. Success, the whole process to no more than 10 minutes! Thanks, OP and have a Merry Christmas.
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2003
2026 posts
148 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
goodguy90 wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2018 1:36 pm
I actually don't know whether it has happened before.

All I know was that there were unverified reports 1-2 years ago, and the trend was to put your line on "holiday/vacation" mode (so you only get billed 1/2 the monthly plan cost), and cancel right after 90 days. Apparently there was something in the contract that specified promotions could be clawed back or the value of the promotion could be added to your bill if cancelled within 90 days.
I cancelled 6 days after I got the s8 last year, and never got the gc clawed back or the value of it added to my bill. I didn't use the GC until 3 weeks later.
Oct 24, 2008
819 posts
427 upvotes
I'm in Ontario and looking to get my wife (new activation) on a qc plan. I was originally going to order the s8 online but this bestbuy one is a much better deal. Is there any reason I couldn't do the qc trick with this?
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2003
2026 posts
148 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
cursayer wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2018 1:38 pm
What's the purpose of porting out instead of cancelling? And how does it work?

I get a Virgin SIM and port my number to them as a prepaid customer? So all I will have to pay is essentially the tab balance + however many days of service I was signed up for?
The consensus last year was the less human interaction you had, the less likely you'd get flagged and banned in the future from doing this again. There were a couple people who were flagged, because they called in to cancel. And especially since it's busy season, if a rep didn't like your tone of voice, I bet they can do just that and flag you not to be able to get tabs in the future.

Also, because it's Christmas, it can take hours to get through to talk to a rep, whereas the porting is just clicking a few buttons. Some reps will also try to prevent you from cancelling and can give you fake information of penalties if you cancel.

A bell prepaid sim card is only 99 cents on ebay, and they can e-mail you the sim number to port. You don't even need the physical card.

So basically if you port out with another carrier, your account at koodo will automatically be canceled. Your online account with koodo will still be active for several months. The amount you owe will appear in 2-4 weeks in your account (which is basically just the tab balance + the 35 activation fee if you haven't paid it yet + prorated charges)

Example for prorated charges - if you cancel 5 days later after you got the phone, you will be charged 5 days of service. For some reason, some of us were being charged an extra 5-10 days of service on our account after we did the automatic cancellation. I'm pretty sure it was in error. You can call koodo to dispute it, but that's what we're trying to avoid (no human interaction), so we didn't. It came to an extra 10 dollars or something at the end, which is fine. You're already getting the phone for cheap. Think of paying an extra 10 bucks so you can do this again in the future.

So it should come around to 360 tab balance + 35 activation fee + $10-$20. Like I said, it will show up 2-4 weeks in your account as the amount you owe. You then pay it like any other utility bill.

Koodo will also send you a letter of your account balance of how much you owe.

I suggest reading through the entire thread from last year. It's informative. There's more step to step instructions in the 2nd post under thread summary of that thread.

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/samsung- ... d-2156923/
Mar 3, 2006
122 posts
67 upvotes
Toronto
dZoolander wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2018 2:54 pm
I upgraded & paid my tab 4 times on each of the 2 lines in my account since Black Friday and never cancelled any services, just upgraded > paid tab > repeated. Went to Best Buy this morning with 0 balance & 0 tab on my account to get the S9 but upgrade won't go through even though I did not have a tab, not even on a new line activation. Best Buy agent calls Koodo to find out what was going on and was told there had been a restriction placed on my account which prevents me from buying new phones.

So I call Koodo when I got home and after being placed on hold, I was told that there was a 90-day policy on upgrades & since I had just recently made upgrades on both lines in the last 10 days, my account is currently under investigation with their credit department. Investigate what I asked? I don't even owe them anything, I upgraded and paid my tabs each time & my account balance is zero. I said if their policy is 90 days, then their system should not allow upgrades in their website that does not meet that criteria to begin with?

I know I may have gone overboard a bit with 8 phones in a span of a month (4 on each line), but I thought I read somewhere here that you're allowed to buy 8 phones per line or something? Has this happen to anyone else? If so, is this a permanent restriction or will the restriction get lifted after 90 days or something?
And this is why we can't have nice things.

houston
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2013
1227 posts
627 upvotes
Ottawa
Thatdealguy wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2018 10:34 pm
That's not very nice and you are pretty lucky. The rep did all the work and couldn't get the bonus.

Rep activation 30 activations and was about to get a $500 bonus but you canceled on the same day.

They just lost $500 because of you. Anyway, for those who are planning to cancel, just do it after 90 days.
Safer and better for everyone.
Do you receive the $10/m referral bonus during the seasonal hold off?
In that case, paying $15 for 3 months isn't that bad
Gtaphotog wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2018 12:42 am
Has anyone CONFIRMED that the S9's are coming unlocked from Koodo?
They either come unlocked or with the unlock code
rivet wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2018 11:43 am
So you will not be banned/backlisted by bestbuy if you port out instead of canceling right away?
Porting out and cancelling should be the same things, in both cases BB won't get its commission. Not sure who's paying for the $150GC and who's receiving the $35 activation fees in this case
goodguy90 wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2018 1:22 pm
Also.. I'm surprised to see people aren't worried about the gift card being cancelled. I remember last year this was a concern and people were staying with Koodo for 90 days. What changed?
They can't cancel the gift card, what people used to be afraid of couple years ago (not sure if confirmed or not) is that Koodo would charge them for the value of the gift card when they cancel.
goodguy90 wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2018 1:41 pm
Thanks for the clarification. Is there any point to converting my BB gift card to a prepaid visa/mastercard prior to cancelling my line then?
No, if you're planning to use the BB GC, keep it that way and save those $7 fees
JIB9022 wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2018 3:08 pm
Unfortunately, iphone 8 seems to hold better resale value
S9 is way way better phone, its even better phone than Iphone xs or whatever the new iphone is
Also, the latest reports point to bad sales of the new iPhones generation and Apple asked its manufacturer to build more of the 8 and X instead.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2008
4426 posts
529 upvotes
FYI, currently there are no good deals on iPhone 8+ & Galaxy S9+, as I know several posters have asked in this thread. Don't know if that will change for Boxing Day, but I believe on Black Friday, the + lines were not nearly as good a deal as the base 8 & S9.
I am a Koodo customer
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
5860 posts
2411 upvotes
Canada
Suthek wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2018 7:08 pm
Just went and tried. Got $150 for renewal.
They also gave me $50 in accessories and 30% off on those $50 worth.

Not bad. $240+$35 activation. Plus tax.
Minus $150 in cards and $50 in accessories.
Which store in calgary?
Public Mobile and Koodo customer
Aug 2, 2015
86 posts
119 upvotes
North York, ON
Rich3rd wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2018 6:56 pm
thanks op ! was able to get iphone 8 gold with my 40$ (6g plan migration) with med tab. he told me to call koodo for 35$ activation fee.. they may do something about it. will try my luck tomorow
Plz let me know how it goes..