Expired Hot Deals

Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 Lite, 64 GB $279.98 / 128 GB $329.99 (or less with trade-in or coupons) back in stock

Deal Expert
Jan 12, 2017
18642 posts
5442 upvotes
Scarberia
My only worry is the weak cpu.. Reading it lags when u have split screen apps going.. Bench marks don't look good either! 2018 iPad is still probably way faster than this
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to [email protected] stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
20885 posts
5463 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
.EE. wrote: I wanted to follow up with a post for anyone having questions regarding replacing the stock OS with LineageOS. The steps are:
My concern with installing an alternative ROM is this: How hard is it to go back to 100% stock? I tried this a few years ago on a Nexus phone, and found all the hassle trolling the XDA developers forum wasn't worth my time.
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2020
1917 posts
1656 upvotes
mikka2017 wrote: My only worry is the weak cpu.. Reading it lags when u have split screen apps going.. Bench marks don't look good either! 2018 iPad is still probably way faster than this
It is, the slow soc is a deal breaker for me.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
23102 posts
28611 upvotes
Kevcorm wrote: It is, the slow soc is a deal breaker for me.
Slow is a relative term.

The iPads are simply too expensive in their current form.

We have access to last gen iPads at fire sale prices occasionally, otherwise I don't touch them.
Last edited by redflagdealsguy on Jan 14th, 2022 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2008
1054 posts
306 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Just got mine yesterday for my son, and this is great. I would have ordered the entry level ipad, but my entire family is in the android ecosystem, and have google rewards money to spend.

The tablet itself is fine for our usage, nothing intense. Minecraft seems to run perfectly fine lol

I'll be ordering another one today for my mom as she's been wanting a tablet with a pen to sketch on, and this seems to fit the bill perfectly.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2003
1067 posts
344 upvotes
I wish Google still made their own tablets.
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2020
1917 posts
1656 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote: Slow is a relative term.

The iPads are simply too expensive in their current form.

We have access to last gen iPads at fire sale prices occasionally, otherwise I don't touch them.
$430 for several times better performance and will last several years longer. Seems worth the extra $150 to me even at full price, on sale its not even up for debate.
Last edited by Kevcorm on Jan 14th, 2022 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 12, 2003
813 posts
614 upvotes
Toronto
nochill wrote: I get why some folks might want to do this, but I also want to point out a lot of the value in Samsung devices are in the form of software. OneUI (Samsung's own version of Android) is packed with features (multitasking and DeX, for example), and many improvements over stock or stock-like Android in my opinion.

The other often overlooked fact of using custom ROMs is that you could lose the ability to stream Netflix, Prime Video, Disney+ etc in FHD / 4K on some devices. This is because of the DRM security level is lowered when you unlock the bootloader to install custom ROMs, and effectively you ended up being stuck on 720p at best whichever ROM you use.
I'll gladly acknowledge Samsung makes great software for Android and I would normally advise not to replace it. However there is a very logical reason for installing LineageOS on this device: The CPU bottleneck. I have tried it with the stock Samsung OS and even scrolling text is not smooth. While the tablet build is premium, the speed is not due to the CPU. I read reviews before installing LineageOS on this device on how much of a difference it makes. The LineageOS UI is silky smooth. The tablet just runs better and feels premium now. Yes I miss those Samsung apps.

Also, I don't have to worry about my tablet being obsolete in 2 years as all the latest Android versions will come to this through LineageOS for many years to come.
Jan 5, 2017
303 posts
202 upvotes
montreal
.EE. wrote: I'll gladly acknowledge Samsung makes great software for Android and I would normally advise not to replace it. However there is a very logical reason for installing LineageOS on this device: The CPU bottleneck. I have tried it with the stock Samsung OS and even scrolling text is not smooth. While the tablet build is premium, the speed is not due to the CPU. I read reviews before installing LineageOS on this device on how much of a difference it makes. The LineageOS UI is silky smooth. The tablet just runs better and feels premium now. Yes I miss those Samsung apps.

Also, I don't have to worry about my tablet being obsolete in 2 years as all the latest Android versions will come to this through LineageOS for many years to come.
Do you confirm that Netflix and others video quality is reduced to 720p due to the DRM issue mentioned above? Was about to buy this tablet and throw on LineageOS, but concerned by the restriction on video quality.

Thanks in advance!
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
15218 posts
6233 upvotes
.EE. wrote: I'll gladly acknowledge Samsung makes great software for Android and I would normally advise not to replace it. However there is a very logical reason for installing LineageOS on this device: The CPU bottleneck. I have tried it with the stock Samsung OS and even scrolling text is not smooth. While the tablet build is premium, the speed is not due to the CPU. I read reviews before installing LineageOS on this device on how much of a difference it makes. The LineageOS UI is silky smooth. The tablet just runs better and feels premium now. Yes I miss those Samsung apps.

I have yet to experience *any* custom ROM that is as stable and bug free as stock, on any device.

Try the Nova Launcher on Samsung if you want a better experience, and simply uninstall and disable all the stock bloat. Set the transition animation to 0.5 in the developer options and it will make a big difference.

Lineage isn't going to magically give you more CPU power. Samsung is known for making excellent kernels and they have some of the best performance of any android device. The most bug free and stable software aside from Google, also.
I am a Zoomer customer.
Dec 12, 2003
813 posts
614 upvotes
Toronto
SickBeast wrote: I have yet to experience *any* custom ROM that is as stable and bug free as stock, on any device.

Try the Nova Launcher on Samsung if you want a better experience, and simply uninstall and disable all the stock bloat. Set the transition animation to 0.5 in the developer options and it will make a big difference.

Lineage isn't going to magically give you more CPU power. Samsung is known for making excellent kernels and they have some of the best performance of any android device. The most bug free and stable software aside from Google, also.
I don't think you understood my post. Your experience with custom ROMs does not agree with my experience. I know about all of that already - Nova Launcher, disable apps, animations in developer options. I've been doing this for many years so I'm experienced. No one is claiming CPU power is generated "magically" - it's about improving the hardware resource availability. I also have a Tab S7+ that runs stock Samsung OS wonderfully. However for the S6 Lite, LineageOS 18.1 definitely runs better than stock.
Jan 12, 2017
684 posts
642 upvotes
Constellation wrote: This is my favourite travel tablet. Perfect compact size for reading and watching media, SD card storage to store movies
have it docked I'm my car for movies and navigation/music
Nov 9, 2021
491 posts
916 upvotes
Kevcorm wrote: It is, the slow soc is a deal breaker for me.
Much better than my fire HD 10 once lineage is installed. Zippy and worth the premium over it. That is the only reason I wanted it since I want one simple android tablet but all low end tablets suck including samsung; lineageOS allows this to run much nicer.

Totally agree with iPads being much better. There is a reason I don't find the S7 FE worth the $400 price at all when a 2021 iPad 10.2 will last much better and work amazingly well.
mintchoco wrote: I wish Google still made their own tablets.
Yep, wish that too but they seem to favor chromeOS now. I might just transition to every tablet being an iPad at this rate since low-end / midrange android tablets run and age terrible but cost the same as a base iPad which runs circles around them.
Last edited by darknebulae on Jan 14th, 2022 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
15218 posts
6233 upvotes
.EE. wrote: I don't think you understood my post. Your experience with custom ROMs does not agree with my experience. I know about all of that already - Nova Launcher, disable apps, animations in developer options. I've been doing this for many years so I'm experienced. No one is claiming CPU power is generated "magically" - it's about improving the hardware resource availability. I also have a Tab S7+ that runs stock Samsung OS wonderfully. However for the S6 Lite, LineageOS 18.1 definitely runs better than stock.
If you disable and uninstall all the Samsung bloat, it will get you 90% of the way there, with less hassle, less bugs, and less problems.
I am a Zoomer customer.
Nov 9, 2021
491 posts
916 upvotes
SickBeast wrote: If you disable and uninstall all the Samsung bloat, it will get you 90% of the way there, with less hassle, less bugs, and less problems.
Done this on almost every samsung phone, its not true.

In my experience as long as there was an official lineageOS support, I had no issues at all.
.EE. wrote: I don't think you understood my post. Your experience with custom ROMs does not agree with my experience. I know about all of that already - Nova Launcher, disable apps, animations in developer options. I've been doing this for many years so I'm experienced. No one is claiming CPU power is generated "magically" - it's about improving the hardware resource availability. I also have a Tab S7+ that runs stock Samsung OS wonderfully. However for the S6 Lite, LineageOS 18.1 definitely runs better than stock.
Exactly, lineageOS IS the only reason I got this. Otherwise I would just bite the bullet, spent $130 extra and buy the base iPad. But I wanted at least one android tablet that did not suck lol.

May be a lost cause in the future though.
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
15218 posts
6233 upvotes
zdpz wrote: *
I love android as much as the next guy but I fully admit that android has completely failed as a tablet platform. Lack of quality apps compared to Apple. Plus the iPad is shockingly a good value (most Apple products aren't).

You guys crying about the CPU performance on this thing should just buy an iPad. Or wait a bit for a cheaper Snapdragon 888 based tablet or something.
Last edited by MrDisco on Jan 17th, 2022 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: quoted post was removed
I am a Zoomer customer.
Nov 9, 2021
491 posts
916 upvotes
SickBeast wrote: I love android as much as the next guy but I fully admit that android has completely failed as a tablet platform. Lack of quality apps compared to Apple. Plus the iPad is shockingly a good value (most Apple products aren't).

You guys crying about the CPU performance on this thing should just buy an iPad. Or wait a bit for a cheaper Snapdragon 888 based tablet or something.
Every time I see a non flagship android tablet with a price tag of $350+ I just shake my head. The base iPad is far better from my experience for almost the same price.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
23102 posts
28611 upvotes
darknebulae wrote: Every time I see a non flagship android tablet with a price tag of $350+ I just shake my head. The base iPad is far better from my experience for almost the same price.
Unfortunately true, Apple is generally disappointing, but their iPad stands head and shoulders above Android tablets even years into it's life.

The Samsung S6 Lite remains a reasonable value at this sale price, but past the price you mentioned ($350), you might as well consider an iPad if the use-case fits.

God bless.
Jul 27, 2017
383 posts
511 upvotes
seanns32 wrote:
Do you confirm that Netflix and others video quality is reduced to 720p due to the DRM issue mentioned above? Was about to buy this tablet and throw on LineageOS, but concerned by the restriction on video quality.

Thanks in advance!
I don't have this tablet with LOS so I can't confirm, but basically what you want to know is if the tablet is "downgraded" to WildVine L3 as a result of install custom ROM.

And I think I was incorrect in one aspect - WildVine L3 gets you only 480p on Netflix, not 720p.

If you want FHD/4K, the device needs to be on WildVine L1 which is certified as part of the stock OS. Changing to custom ROM affects that.

Edit: here are a couple of ways to check it on any Android device, including using the Netflix app: https://www.xda-developers.com/check-wi ... s-android/
Last edited by nochill on Jan 14th, 2022 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)