[OP]
Deal Guru
Oct 3, 2006
10393 posts
742 upvotes
Toronto

Samsung paid people to attend its S6 press conference in China

http://www.gsmarena.com/did_samsung_pay ... -11793.php

[QUOTE]Nearly half of the fans who attended Samsung's recent press conference in China were hired, according to a report from Shanghai-based news outlet The Paper. The event, which was held a couple of days ago to show off the Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge smartphones, was attended by around 1,000 people.

The report said that Samsung wanted recruiters to hire people under 30 who look like students, adding that those who spent more than an hour at the event were paid $4.80 per person, while recruiters were paid $3.20 for each person they recruited.
Those hired were told to tell reporters that they're Samsung's fans or are interested in the South Korean company's new phones. However, interestingly, majority of the people taking photos of the Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge were using iPhones
, the report noted.
Via
[/QUOTE]

Hahaha, last time it was hiring students to write fake reviews about HTC, Apple, Motorola, Asus and Sony. Now it's hiring students to fill seats and pretend they're Samsung fans. Shamesung is always Shamesung.
20 replies
Sep 15, 2010
753 posts
264 upvotes
Kawartha Lakes
The Paper is a state owned media outlet. Might as well be a tabloid.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2014
1255 posts
241 upvotes
Burrowborough
No big deal; this is just good marketing.

If Samsung can help make people believe their new phones are popular for just $4000 (500 hired students @ $4.80 each + $3.20 recruitment); then that's just a drop in the bucket in the overall $12 billion they spend to market their phones ("Samsung now spends more on marketing its mobile devices than Apple, HP, Dell, Microsoft, and Coca Cola combined spend on all their products.").
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2005
4302 posts
211 upvotes
Farm
Jimboski wrote: Were you denied a job working at Samsung for one of their entry level positions or something? A news outlet, very reputable source..
lol you're mad.

people pay thousands to watch godly keynotes by apple, whereas samsung needs to spend money to get people to attend.

can't wait for this company to burn to the ground.
Banned
Nov 1, 2014
4317 posts
558 upvotes
Toronto, ON
whistlepig wrote: No big deal; this is just good marketing.

If Samsung can help make people believe their new phones are popular for just $4000 (500 hired students @ $4.80 each + $3.20 recruitment); then that's just a drop in the bucket in the overall $12 billion they spend to market their phones ("Samsung now spends more on marketing its mobile devices than Apple, HP, Dell, Microsoft, and Coca Cola combined spend on all their products.").
Apple does something...my cousin is a parts supplier to Apple and tells me how they purposely limit shipment from warehouses full of iPhones in China to build up hype and make it appear like there's more demand than supply
Banned
Nov 1, 2014
4317 posts
558 upvotes
Toronto, ON
al3x89 wrote: lol you're mad.

people pay thousands to watch godly keynotes by apple, whereas samsung needs to spend money to get people to attend.

can't wait for this company to burn to the ground.
Then Apple would die since apple sells rebranded Samsung parts in their phones ...no Samsung..no apple
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
18861 posts
2544 upvotes
Woodbridge
^ Then again no iPhone to Smart Phones. Said it many time RIM would still be king and we'll all be using QWERTY keyboard phones.

You don't have to like Apple but you need to respect what they did.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2014
1255 posts
241 upvotes
Burrowborough
LandKing wrote: Apple does something...my cousin is a parts supplier to Apple and tells me how they purposely limit shipment from warehouses full of iPhones in China to build up hype and make it appear like there's more demand than supply
Wow I didn't realize that!

Apple sold 74.5 million iPhones last quarter, I wonder how many they would have sold if they didn't purposely limit shipment? :-0
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10825 posts
3032 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
LandKing wrote: Apple does something...my cousin is a parts supplier to Apple and tells me how they purposely limit shipment from warehouses full of iPhones in China to build up hype and make it appear like there's more demand than supply
gilboman, as you were so often told before the ban, no reason to make up stories.

"I know a guy, my cousin's sister's husband's wife's uncle told me...."

The actual fact, is that Apple's suppliers, Samsung included, cannot meet demand, especially at launch. Apple injects billions into their suppliers in order to produce more. Sitting all of that on a shelf to generate "hype" would be pretty asinine.

Apple is the largest and most profitable company in the world and they didn't get they by using highschool marketing ideas like the one you mention.
2015 wins: Trip for 2 to NYC with airfare, limo, hotel and insurance ($3700); Maple Leafs tickets($250); 32GB HTC One M9 ($700), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1($200), Samsung Galaxy Note 5($850), Aukey 2 port fast car charger($23), Fitbit Flex ($120), Blue Piston Bluetooth Speaker ($30). 2016 wins: nada
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10825 posts
3032 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
LandKing wrote: Then Apple would die since apple sells rebranded Samsung parts in their phones ...no Samsung..no apple
Well, no Samsung means no Samsung. Many other companies would grow to fill the void. That's the nice thing about parts suppliers. They can be replaced. Right now, Samsung just happens to be the biggest and most able to meet Apple's needs. But aside from sheer volume, there is not much they make that can't be sourced elsewhere, just in lower volume for now.
2015 wins: Trip for 2 to NYC with airfare, limo, hotel and insurance ($3700); Maple Leafs tickets($250); 32GB HTC One M9 ($700), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1($200), Samsung Galaxy Note 5($850), Aukey 2 port fast car charger($23), Fitbit Flex ($120), Blue Piston Bluetooth Speaker ($30). 2016 wins: nada
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10825 posts
3032 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
Aznsilvrboy wrote: http://www.gsmarena.com/did_samsung_pay ... -11793.php

Hahaha, last time it was hiring students to write fake reviews about HTC, Apple, Motorola, Asus and Sony. Now it's hiring students to fill seats and pretend they're Samsung fans. Shamesung is always Shamesung.
At least they are paying them this time. A couple years ago Samsung flew some Indian bloggers out to Germany to cover Samsung's offerings at an electronics show. Once they arrived, Samsung demanded that they wear Samsung uniforms basically write PR pieces for them. None of this was agreed prior to arrival. When the journalists protested that they were there to give unbiased coverage, Samsung basically said "you are on Team Samsung or good luck getting back to India on your own and go find another hotel cuz your kicked out of this one".

There's a reason their own former execs call them the slimiest and dirtiest company in the world.
Banned
Nov 1, 2014
4317 posts
558 upvotes
Toronto, ON
ceredon wrote: Well, no Samsung means no Samsung. Many other companies would grow to fill the void. That's the nice thing about parts suppliers. They can be replaced. Right now, Samsung just happens to be the biggest and most able to meet Apple's needs. But aside from sheer volume, there is not much they make that can't be sourced elsewhere, just in lower volume for now.
Nope..Samsung is only one doing 14nm processors...as well as their storage and display tech is miles ahead of everybody else

From ufs 2.0 storage to their displays to their 14nm processors... Nobody else has the tech or ability of Samsung...

Just look at amoled and how it's so much more advance than stagnant LCD in smartphones in such short period of time

Samsung is the mobile industry..apple and others just use Samsung parts or lower quality outdated parts otherwise in their smart phones

LCD used to be so much brighter and better than amoled in sunlight visibility and color accuracy but now it can't even compare to amoled ..and it's all Samsung...
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2006
4635 posts
1274 upvotes
ceredon wrote: A couple years ago Samsung flew some Indian bloggers out to Germany to cover Samsung's offerings at a electronics show. Once they arrived, Samsung demanded that they were Samsung uniforms basically write PR pieces for them. None of this was discussed prior to arrival. When the journalists protested that they were there to give unbiased coverage, Samsung basically said "you are on Team Samsung or good luck getting back to India on your own and go find another hotel cuz your kicked out of this one".
I missed this one back in 2012.

http://thenextweb.com/insider/2012/09/0 ... ned-leave/

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/others/news/sam ... ogy-262586

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2 ... h-bloggers
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10825 posts
3032 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
LandKing wrote: Nope..Samsung is only one doing 14nm processors...as well as their storage and display tech is miles ahead of everybody else

From ufs 2.0 storage to their displays to their 14nm processors... Nobody else has the tech or ability of Samsung...

Just look at amoled and how it's so much more advance than stagnant LCD in smartphones in such short period of time

Samsung is the mobile industry..apple and others just use Samsung parts or lower quality outdated parts otherwise in their smart phones

LCD used to be so much brighter and better than amoled in sunlight visibility and color accuracy but now it can't even compare to amoled ..and it's all Samsung...
Not quite. Intel was shipping 14nm before Samsung. Intel has the ability to produce the volume for Apple but for likely mostly political reasons, they don't do large volume of ARM processors. They could. They have, like Apple and Qualcomm, had an ARM architectural licenses for many years while Samsung only received theirs last year and still has yet to make use of it in a a shipping product.

And AMOLED? After so many years of foisting that crap on their customers it's about time they finally are usable. Pentile was a joke that their loyal users happily swallowed and even tried to claim wasn't a problem. Glad they have engineered around that pile.

Samsung is the mobile industry? Well, they are certainly a big part of it and an important parts supplier. Which, given how badly their handset profits have cratered, is a good thing for them to have left.
Deal Addict
May 1, 2006
3855 posts
363 upvotes
Toronto
ceredon wrote: gilboman, as you were so often told before the ban, no reason to make up stories.

"I know a guy, my cousin's sister's husband's wife's uncle told me...."

The actual fact, is that Apple's suppliers, Samsung included, cannot meet demand, especially at launch. Apple injects billions into their suppliers in order to produce more. Sitting all of that on a shelf to generate "hype" would be pretty asinine.

Apple is the largest and most profitable company in the world and they didn't get they by using highschool marketing ideas like the one you mention.
wow. that guy is GILBOMAN? absolutely hilarious and pathetic!!!
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
18861 posts
2544 upvotes
Woodbridge
It's no secret. It's marketing.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10825 posts
3032 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
stevelam wrote: wow. that guy is GILBOMAN? absolutely hilarious and pathetic!!!
I don't see it that way, tbh. He likes to post here and once he was banned it's not like he had a choice but to create another account.

What I found funny was when he used to have alternate accounts and would reply to himself and otherwise engage in conversation with himself. Never understood that mindset but I guess it meant there was always someone to agree with him.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)