• Mar 30th, 2018 11:04 am
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
1414 posts
590 upvotes
Calgary
matus201 wrote:
Mar 29th, 2018 3:56 am
Samsung pay is incredible. I had so far 0 cases of it not working - I am not exaggerating, and I use it daily. I love the look on cashiers' faces when they tell me "no tap" all annoyed, I tap the phone anyways, and it works! This $20 gift card is great too.
Did that at Walmart the other day and the cashier said "well that was a first!" I just smiled and went on my way. :)
Mar 13, 2017
227 posts
118 upvotes
matus201 wrote:
Mar 29th, 2018 3:56 am
Samsung pay is incredible. I had so far 0 cases of it not working - I am not exaggerating, and I use it daily. I love the look on cashiers' faces when they tell me "no tap" all annoyed, I tap the phone anyways, and it works! This $20 gift card is great too.

It works on no tap machines?
Mar 28, 2018
31 posts
6 upvotes
RoyDavisG wrote:
Mar 29th, 2018 12:17 pm
Yes, Samsung Pay has a special hardware called MST (magnetic secure transmission) that mimics the magnetic strip on your payment card. I found that you need to angle the phone properly and hold it next to the slot where you normally swipe for a few seconds for it to work. Anyone found an easier way?
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2010
3185 posts
1089 upvotes
Mississauga
RoyDavisG wrote:
Mar 29th, 2018 12:17 pm
yes sir, mimics a swipe
watch them look confused when you say you're swiping since there is no tap but all you have out is your phone Face With Tears Of Joy
Aug 15, 2016
51 posts
41 upvotes
Starting with Galaxy s6, Samsung phones can create a magnetic flux that mimics the flux of a swiping credit card stripe. It's super cool, clever, and a completely underrated technology - because, you know, the fruit phone doesn't have it.
Aug 31, 2015
424 posts
87 upvotes
Concord, ON
matus201 wrote:
Mar 29th, 2018 1:02 pm
Starting with Galaxy s6, Samsung phones can create a magnetic flux that mimics the flux of a swiping credit card stripe. It's super cool, clever, and a completely underrated technology - because, you know, the fruit phone doesn't have it.
What the hell...that's wicked! I gotta try that, I don't use Samsung Pay but that's pretty cool
Nov 7, 2017
270 posts
92 upvotes
matus201 wrote:
Mar 29th, 2018 1:02 pm
you know what, in the past that I am using it, this is what I noticed! you don't even need to turn on NFC. at first I am confused because I thought my BT is on even they say the tap is not working. LOL
I think I will be using this as my primary form of payment now, so convenient for me to use as it is interfaced below my screen like a wallet!
Jun 6, 2017
34 posts
9 upvotes
Calgary
GeeCee wrote:
Mar 29th, 2018 12:15 am
Finished at 8:52 PM PT, assuming that the promo ended at midnight ET.. came pretty dang close. Using Amex + Samsung Pay really didn't make it easy, but I found that turning off NFC and forcing the mag stripe helped. Obnoxiously, Safeway takes Amex but not via tap, plus when I tried turning NFC off, it told me that I had to use the chip instead! Bah.
Yeah, it was a mixed bag at Safeway. Samsung Pay + AMEX didn't work for me for the 2 times I used it at the self-checkout, but I was able to get it working at the till (needed to sign the receipt)

Has anyone successfully tried using Samsung Pay at the gas pumps? According to this video it's possible, but I was unsuccessful when I tried it at Shell. You need a non magnetic-striped card to trigger the card reader.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2006
1473 posts
322 upvotes
Richmond, BC
I actually didn't even know about that technology until I read one of the comments in this forum (even though if you look at Samsung Pay there is a picture of the phone as being able to do that) I had quite a few places that were like "there is not tap!" and then watched their face also when it worked...a few people thought it was cool as well. I tried at multiple places and only had issues at two places. I should start by saying that I have my Amex linked to my Samsung Pay. The first place with an issue was Esso - I think that if I had turned of NFC then it might have worked, but it kept defaulting to 'tap' and Esso doesn't except 'tap' (at least at my location). The second place I could not get it to work was at Rogers Arena...I tried two different tills and had no luck. Every other place worked even though it said tap or no tap.

Love this technology and will continue to use.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
2403 posts
381 upvotes
Cambridge, ON/Guelph…
Yes, the promotion was until the 28th
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
2403 posts
381 upvotes
Cambridge, ON/Guelph…
I tried to use mst at jack Astor's the other day and the transaction kept getting declined.

Not sure why that was the case, since all the places I've tried using NFC the transaction went through fine.

Really weird.

This is with the Scotia Amex + Samsung pay.