Computers & Electronics

Samsung Q80T or Sony 950H

• Last Updated:
  • May 31st, 2021 9:21 am
Tags:

Poll: Samsung Q80T or 950H

• Total votes: 7. You have voted on this poll.
Samsung Q80T

0%
Sony 950H

100%

Poll ended at May 27th, 2021 10:57 pm

[OP]
Feb 11, 2013
854 posts
136 upvotes
BC

Samsung Q80T or Sony 950H

Hi All,

Looking to replace our old TV. Cant decide between Samsung Q80T or Sony 950H.

They are both priced the same at $1,799 + tax.

We will only be using it for Netflix, YouTube, and other misc apps. No gaming or anything like that.

Would love for you guys to vote and I'm open to other suggestions
2 replies
Nov 20, 2008
332 posts
82 upvotes
Halifax, N.S.
We just wrapped up a binge watching session with the family of a show we like on Amazon Prime.
Both exact same TV in 65" size, playing same show side by side using native app. We all preferred the Samsung more for relatively similar picture quality, better menus and remote, MUCH better stand and an easy connection with our Galaxy phone.

I wanted the Sony to win since I would much rather have the peace of mind of Costco extended warranty.
Unfortunately, it'll have to go back.

TL;DR - 950H will go back to Costco. Q80T will stay in our living room.
Last edited by ScarySkulls on Jun 1st, 2021 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mar 13, 2006
41 posts
10 upvotes
Mississauga
I just bought the 950H (still haven't hooked it up so can't give impressions and don't have the Q80 to compare). RTINGS rank them pretty similar which is interesting as I believe the Q80 is the upper-mid range while the 950H is the higher end (I think the 900H would be the peer to it). Went with the 950H myself as the local dimming/black levels appear to review better You can read their comparison FWIW here:

Your text to link here...

rtings just posted a comparison of the Q80A vs X90J (next years models of the Q80T and 900H). On the black dimming I could see a difference in the video they posted:
Your text to link here...

I ordered from Telecity in Toronto and they were able to beat the big box price by $100 (see you're in BC so likely not a help, but indicates there could be some wiggle room to negotiate at the store).