• Nov 24th, 2022 4:23 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
3870 posts
1461 upvotes
Toronto

Samsung QLED (QN90B) OR LG Oled (C1)

2022 Samsung QN90B or LG C1 - 65”

Which Tv would you go for and why If you got either option at the same $2200 price point
14 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2008
2356 posts
1558 upvotes
Toronto
The first question is how bright is the room that you're watching the TV in?
If you watch TV in a room that gets a lot of light, get the Samsung.

The Samsung is 2-3 times brighter than the LG and is better for brighter rooms.

How long do you usually hold on to a TV for?
OLED TV's have an issue with longevity and possible screen burn-in. If you like to keep your TV till it dies a decade later, get the Samsung.

If you want the blackest blacks the LG is rated better than the Samsung. If you follow the above link to rtings you can see the comparisons. Take the pictures shown with a big grain of salt as your monitors colour may be off and therefore that may accidentally influence you decision.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2009
2249 posts
1274 upvotes
My mom bought the 55” C1 OLED and I personally love the picture. It does sit in our living room and will mention that the screen does get a glare from lamps in the room or certain angles of the sun through the window. I don’t find it that bad, no burn-in yet since October purchase. Should try the VRR feature with my PS5/XSX to see how that is one day, as my tv/projector aren’t capable of VRR
[external link removed]
Feb 5, 2007
613 posts
99 upvotes
I have my old oled c8 next to a big bay window that gets plenty of sunlight...it has never been an issue for me. Or when i have pot lights on full blast.

But when comparing oled to lcd/led PQ...its not even fair.

Colors, deeeeeeep blacks, and insane viewing angles, which is great for entertaining areas.

Prices being equal, OLED all day.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2009
6237 posts
4777 upvotes
Ontario
Qn9da and QN90A are same set at Costco but last year's model (A) at $2600 for $65in. Where you can get 2022 model (B) for $400 less?

You should be able to see the 9DA together with LG OLED C1/C2 at Costco but again LG OLEDs are currently more than your stated price point for $65in.
Last edited by Bevatron on Jun 8th, 2022 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2009
6237 posts
4777 upvotes
Ontario
Canuck_TO wrote: The first question is how bright is the room that you're watching the TV in?
If you watch TV in a room that gets a lot of light, get the Samsung.

The Samsung is 2-3 times brighter than the LG and is better for brighter rooms.

How long do you usually hold on to a TV for?
OLED TV's have an issue with longevity and possible screen burn-in. If you like to keep your TV till it dies a decade later, get the Samsung.

If you want the blackest blacks the LG is rated better than the Samsung. If you follow the above link to rtings you can see the comparisons. Take the pictures shown with a big grain of salt as your monitors colour may be off and therefore that may accidentally influence you decision.
This is why I decided to go with QN80B - plus was able to get bigger screen for the money than with OLED.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2008
2356 posts
1558 upvotes
Toronto
Bevatron wrote: This is why I decided to go with QN80B - plus was able to get bigger screen for the money than with OLED.
I've wanted to buy a 4K TV for a year or two but the quality of my HD still holds up, plus, most of the content that I watch is available in HD and not always 4K.

I want to buy a TV based on the latest and greatest tech, which means the 8K panels. Then again, every year you wait, the pricing gets cheaper and the specs get better. (When does it end?)
I'd like to see what the next CES brings.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2009
6237 posts
4777 upvotes
Ontario
Canuck_TO wrote: I've wanted to buy a 4K TV for a year or two but the quality of my HD still holds up, plus, most of the content that I watch is available in HD and not always 4K.

I want to buy a TV based on the latest and greatest tech, which means the 8K panels. Then again, every year you wait, the pricing gets cheaper and the specs get better. (When does it end?)
I'd like to see what the next CES brings.
I was in the same position but in the meantime you could be enjoying something better (if it is comfortably in budget).

I was looking at OLED last 2 years but was put off by worry of burn in /longetivity plus cost of course.

Things changed when I saw QN9DA (QN90A) at Costco and I decided I would get a neo-QLED next time there was a good deal.

There is always something better around the corner. I don't think 8k is worth paying more for as performance over 4k is marginal unless screen is supersized (over 85in). Industry is still catching up with 4k content.

Micro LED will be a further improvement over mini-LED but it will be years before they are affordable in large screen sizes imo.

For me the justification was much bigger screen and picture quality that would give an excellent experience at that screen size.

You only live once and all things being equal its best not to wait too long to treat yourself.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2008
2356 posts
1558 upvotes
Toronto
Bevatron wrote: I was in the same position but in the meantime you could be enjoying something better (if it is comfortably in budget).

I was looking at OLED last 2 years but was put off by worry of burn in /longetivity plus cost of course.

Things changed when I saw QN9DA (QN90A) at Costco and I decided I would get a neo-QLED next time there was a good deal.

There is always something better around the corner. I don't think 8k is worth paying more for as performance over 4k is marginal unless screen is supersized (over 85in). Industry is still catching up with 4k content.

Micro LED will be a further improvement over mini-LED but it will be years before they are affordable in large screen sizes imo.

For me the justification was much bigger screen and picture quality that would give an excellent experience at that screen size.

You only live once and all things being equal its best not to wait too long to treat yourself.
Hey, if I was going to ask for common sense I would have consulted you already. Smiling Face With Open Mouth

I want to get a 65" but my wife wants a 75".
She always brings up Arnold's Total Recall where he's sitting there watching TV and the TV is the size of the wall. She wants that.

I think that Samsung's 8K TV's are a One connect setup. So, going this router allows you to just replace the Oneconnect box to upgrade, without replacing the screen.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2009
6237 posts
4777 upvotes
Ontario
Canuck_TO wrote: Hey, if I was going to ask for common sense I would have consulted you already. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
You responded to my post.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2009
6237 posts
4777 upvotes
Ontario
Price of 85QN85B just went up $500
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2016
1266 posts
683 upvotes
Sorry to bring up an old thread - but whats the difference between QN85B and QN90B? I am seeing the QN85B more expensive that the QN90B? (eg. 65')
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
8428 posts
4673 upvotes
Durham
wmahmud wrote: 2022 Samsung QN90B or LG C1 - 65”

Which Tv would you go for and why If you got either option at the same $2200 price point
Check on rtings.com/tv .... see which one is better
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Jun 10, 2008
67 posts
2 upvotes
yydd4567 wrote: Sorry to bring up an old thread - but whats the difference between QN85B and QN90B? I am seeing the QN85B more expensive that the QN90B? (eg. 65')
I believe the main difference is that the QN85b uses an ADS panel for the lower sized tv's; while the QN90B uses a VA panel. (ADS is not as bright as the VA)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)