• Last Updated:
  • Aug 8th, 2020 12:10 am
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2005
7443 posts
394 upvotes
Toronto
Dynatos wrote: I got the S10 3 weeks ago for $13.33/month over 24 month with Virgin on a retention deal (plan is $37/month for 5GB). The phone was regular $30/month at the time.

It's now $20/month, so I'm kicking myself a bit. My retention deal would have brought it down to $3.33/month over 24 months.

Edit: 24 months, not years.
Damn the price went up to $25 a month, I was going to pull the trigger today because $480 over 24 months is a steal for the S10
<no colour in signatures>
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2014
1094 posts
1324 upvotes
Are phone prices just getting worse in general these days? In Nov. 2019 on the old Fido subsidy program I got the S10 at just ~$60 total one-time cost (after bill credits) on a $40 5GB plan. The S10 was a current-gen phone at the time.

I dread the day I have to upgrade to a new phone since the current Fido payment plan seems to be inferior to the old subsidy system I was used to, and outright phone purchases seem to be going way north of $1000 these days.
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
10984 posts
2798 upvotes
Victoria
3express wrote: Are phone prices just getting worse in general these days? In Nov. 2019 on the old Fido subsidy program I got the S10 at just ~$60 total one-time cost (after bill credits) on a $40 5GB plan. The S10 was a current-gen phone at the time.

I dread the day I have to upgrade to a new phone since the current Fido payment plan seems to be inferior to the old subsidy system I was used to, and outright phone purchases seem to be going way north of $1000 these days.
It's tough. I think there's two things going on. I think phone prices have skyrocketed the last number of years. I don't know if it's because the cost of the tech went up, or because profit margins got bigger. When I got my first smartphone (s2) it was brand new and top of the line. I think it was $500. Now a top of the line, current phone, is $1400.

The subsidy programs have been revamped and don't seem as good. Koodo's gotten horrible. If you're on a good plan, they won't let you get a phone at a discounted price. DQ'd all their good grandfathered plans from Medium/Large tabs.

Prices have gone up, subsidies have gone down. The other tough part is with subsidies reduces or non-existent, plans don't seem to have dropped to compensate. So now you're paying larger freight on the phones, and the same plan prices... meh.
Sep 16, 2015
664 posts
1329 upvotes
Calgary, AB
zod wrote: I would prefer the s10, but the s10 (unsubsidized) is a few hundred bucks more.

What I'm trying to figure out is if there was a sale on a regular pixel 4, what would I choose? With today's announcement that Samsung is extended Android Updates an extra year, the s10 is looking a while lot more attractive.
The S10 is currently $25/month on a Vente Tab. That's a total of $600 over 2 years; a fair price for a very good phone. My son has a Pixel 4 and is less than impressed with the battery life.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2001
9094 posts
10556 upvotes
Toronto
jaybeeg wrote: The S10 is currently $25/month on a Vente Tab. That's a total of $600 over 2 years; a fair price for a very good phone. My son has a Pixel 4 and is less than impressed with the battery life.
I went from a Pixel 4 XL to S10+ and the battery life is night and day. I do miss the Pixel software experience though.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2008
1375 posts
265 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
3express wrote: Are phone prices just getting worse in general these days? In Nov. 2019 on the old Fido subsidy program I got the S10 at just ~$60 total one-time cost (after bill credits) on a $40 5GB plan. The S10 was a current-gen phone at the time.

Last Black Friday or Boxing Day my wife got the S10 for free on a $50 4GB plan. Also got $100 credit card. That was with Fido.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)