Expired Hot Deals

[Samsung] Samsung Galaxy S10 up to $400 off w/ trade in (+ additional discounts too)

Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
5570 posts
5202 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote: For Rogers MC, it is, so I will likely just use my RBC cc.
Honestly Rogers, isn't that a little ironic, that your card won't warranty extend products you yourself sell!? :)
Oct 9, 2007
137 posts
24 upvotes
Canada
AtifM10644 wrote: Got some screenshots from Rogers website after a weekend website shutdown for maintenance!
It looks like you can get the S10e for $0 after eligible trade in on any 2 years plan.
And the discount for S10 and S10+ is $300 after eligible trade in of minimum $25 value.
The new thing is they say on ANY 2 years plan, while before it was on premium plans only, that means if you select the cheapest plan you still get the discount.
So based on this, they should be offering the phone on the $85/10GB plan.
Dec 7, 2012
35 posts
13 upvotes
Currently on a 35$/month BYOD plan with Fido.
On the website they're offering 300$ off + phone value trade-in credit when you reserve online. Called them and they offered me a 50$/month Medium plan and 50$ off on a new phone (S10 on a Medium plan is 870$).

So if I stick with Fido, I'll be paying 870$ - 300$ - 50$ - 60$ (my Galaxy S6 value) = 460$ + tax outright.
On a 55$/month 3 GB plan, which is 15$ more than what I pay now.
so over 24 months i'll be paying 360$(15*24) + 460$
for a total of 820$ for the device.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2008
5088 posts
1884 upvotes
Toronto
raul7 wrote: Good thing i did! you are right.
Always best to inform yourself than rely on others.

Hopefully this will help others in the thread.
Oct 9, 2007
137 posts
24 upvotes
Canada
rebel_rfd wrote: Always best to inform yourself than rely on others.

Hopefully this will help others in the thread.
For anyone interested, looks like TD First Class Visa *DOES* cover cellphone and SmartPhones (feel free to check yourself here: https://www.tdcanadatrust.com/document/ ... ite%20Card)
However, keep in mind, they ONLY cover what you Pay for the phone, meaning, if the S10+ is lets say 1400$, but you get it on a contract for $500 (so $500 is what you pay upfront) you are ONLY covered up to $500 and NOT full phone price.

Since I need WiFi calling,i be getting the phone from Rogers, anyone has any experience with the insurance they offer? I got it for my Note 3 years ago for a year, but never used it to know how good it is. Also from what I read (if understand correctly) the Credit Card protection is NOT valid if you get Extended coverage from 3rd party? so if we get Rogers Protection, we can NO longer use Credit Card protection, however, I assume Rogers cover the ENTIRE phone value as oppose to what you pay upfront.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2008
5088 posts
1884 upvotes
Toronto
raul7 wrote: For anyone interested, looks like TD First Class Visa *DOES* cover cellphone and SmartPhones (feel free to check yourself here: https://www.tdcanadatrust.com/document/ ... ite%20Card)
However, keep in mind, they ONLY cover what you Pay for the phone, meaning, if the S10+ is lets say 1400$, but you get it on a contract for $500 (so $500 is what you pay upfront) you are ONLY covered up to $500 and NOT full phone price.

Since I need WiFi calling,i be getting the phone from Rogers, anyone has any experience with the insurance they offer? I got it for my Note 3 years ago for a year, but never used it to know how good it is. Also from what I read (if understand correctly) the Credit Card protection is NOT valid if you get Extended coverage from 3rd party? so if we get Rogers Protection, we can NO longer use Credit Card protection, however, I assume Rogers cover the ENTIRE phone value as oppose to what you pay upfront.
Your Credit Card wouldn't know you have Roger's Device Protection unless you show them your bills.

Roger's Device Protection is handled by Brightstar. They provide one free screen repair. Accidental/Lost/Stolen is only covered twice during the term your contract. Deductible is $226 in Ontario. They ship you replacement phone that usually is refurbished. They also blacklist the phone that cant be repaired or was stolen/lost.

Monthly is around $11.
Dec 22, 2012
91 posts
99 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
alanbrenton wrote: Any known credit card that effectively doubles the warranty on smartphones? Rogers WE is a non-starter.

I'm going to check my RBC gold rewards card but I doubt it will have the coverage.

Update:

I don't see "phone" in RBC's insurance certificate:

https://www.rbcroyalbank.com/credit-car ... urance.pdf
CIBC Aventura Gold/Infinite. Doubles the warranty plus mobile device insurance for accidental/theft/lost for two years.
Feb 26, 2012
140 posts
25 upvotes
Edmonton
Sirocco wrote: Currently on a 35$/month BYOD plan with Fido.
On the website they're offering 300$ off + phone value trade-in credit when you reserve online. Called them and they offered me a 50$/month Medium plan and 50$ off on a new phone (S10 on a Medium plan is 870$).

So if I stick with Fido, I'll be paying 870$ - 300$ - 50$ - 60$ (my Galaxy S6 value) = 460$ + tax outright.
On a 55$/month 3 GB plan, which is 15$ more than what I pay now.
so over 24 months i'll be paying 360$(15*24) + 460$
for a total of 820$ for the device.
That sounds really good.

Hmmm I'm with Bell and they don't want to give me anything for upgrading. How is Fido? I'd save a lot by switching over
Banned
Nov 22, 2018
91 posts
135 upvotes
lardiop1 wrote: That's completely incorrect. It's very easy to change the CSC codes on a Samsung phone so it will work with your carriers advanced features like wifi calling and volte.

Converting an American phone to a Canadian phone is a bit more involved, but still completely doable.
Rogers uses IMEI to authorize WiFi calling on their network, not CSC. At least for Samsung devices, but not iPhones.

Other providers may not.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
5570 posts
5202 upvotes
DietCokeSquad wrote: Rogers uses IMEI to authorize WiFi calling on their network, not CSC. At least for Samsung devices, but not iPhones.

Other providers may not.
What's funny is WIFI calling was working on my Xiaomi Note 4 for a few months later last year on the Rogers network. And then it stopped working. Shame really. Never saw VoLTE though.
Feb 14, 2007
737 posts
198 upvotes
elemenope wrote: I was at the Eaton Center Samsung store and the Samsung rep mentioned that if you pre order you can also get the Galaxy buds for 50% off while supplies last.

Pre-order discount:
  • $100 / $200 off purchase discount when trading in a phone (s10e / s10 s10+)
  • $xx off trade in phone value discount
  • 50% off on Galaxy buds (retails for $199)
can you confirm the 50% off galaxy buds? i went to the SES store in richmond they have no clue what i'm talking about
Feb 26, 2018
117 posts
230 upvotes
wai_lai416 wrote: can you confirm the 50% off galaxy buds? i went to the SES store in richmond they have no clue what i'm talking about
I believe this is very YMMV. Their sales reps typically have the ability to discount accessories as a back pocket offer for their accessory attach rate. This happened to me last year with the S9 when the rep was trying to sell me on extended warranties and additional accessories. Basically gave me $100 off under the contingency that I buy a couple other things too, so as not to give him a $0 attach value if I had just gotten $100 worth of stuff for free. So offering "50% off the Galaxy buds" looks like a great way for them to get an attach of $100 worth and giving you $100 off.

so... yeah, super YMMV