Expired Hot Deals

[Samsung] Samsung Galaxy S10 up to $400 off w/ trade in (+ additional discounts too)

Sep 28, 2010
789 posts
188 upvotes
Surrey
redflagdealsguy wrote:
Mar 15th, 2019 1:58 pm
There's a growing movement against the S10. The S10+ I get it because of the size, but I don't see the fascination with the S10 when the S10e is a vicious rival and lower cost.

FYI, the side fingerprint sensor also allows you to scroll the screen, something the S10 does not offer.

I've convinced a few business colleagues to go with the 10e already, saving them coin and providing added convenience.

For business and working professionals, this seems like the sensible choice.
Isn't the camera in the s10 better than the s10e?
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2018
10783 posts
10887 upvotes
purplekush604 wrote:
Mar 15th, 2019 3:04 pm
Isn't the camera in the s10 better than the s10e?
They're the same two cameras. The third camera, a telephoto optical zoom camera, is not included on the 10e. This last camera won't be particularly useful for business and working professionals.

The S10e is oddly better than the S10, it seems Samsung didn't gimp it enough.
Sep 22, 2009
80 posts
23 upvotes
Waterloo
My original intention was to get the s10 but after comparing the size and the specs at the Samsung store, I ended up with S10e. I don't care much about the telephoto as I'm a photographer. Although my initial reaction was S10 because I thought visually S10 looks alot bigger but when I size it up , it is only slightly longer than the S10e. So far it has been 2 weeks and the side sensor is good. The phone is good for one hand swipe. It is fast much better than my old LG4 which was lagging in wifi and I can't make any calls in the basement. Glad that I made that decision and save some money towards a new protective cover. The only thing I didn't like is the Samsung notification which I find it annoying.
That can be silent.
Dec 9, 2013
46 posts
13 upvotes
Looks like the $200 trade in promo is over?

Can no longer get it applied online. Instead they just say "Get up to $400 off a trade in"

Edit: Nevermind, still works
Dec 29, 2015
6 posts
2 upvotes
Personally haven't had any issues at all with the S10 fingerprint scanner. Loving the immersive display on this thing
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2006
1609 posts
142 upvotes
North York
Would love a new S10, but wallet empty.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
50604 posts
15374 upvotes
The $200 credit is after tax and case with kickstand is $38+ after 30% discount. I thought it would be cheaper than the Spigen Tough Armor a friend bought for herself.

At least RBC Visa extended warranty will kick in Year 2.

Driving to NY to ship the ebay bought s10+ tomorrow morning and pick up a few packages. :). Can't wait for the refund.
Last edited by alanbrenton on Mar 15th, 2019 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
50604 posts
15374 upvotes
coffeebean wrote:
Mar 15th, 2019 11:35 am
Someone's got it working.
Wife probably doesn't care. Her sense of direction is much better than mine but not as good as Google Maps of course.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2018
10783 posts
10887 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote:
Mar 14th, 2019 4:20 pm
So I did some math here.

Amazon.com USA for the Samsung S10e 8GB / 256GB:

$849 USD (10e List Price)
- $500 USD (Amazon Credit)
+ $120.65 USD (Cross Border Fees)
+ $XX USD (Case)
+ $10.13 USD (Shipping)
==========================
$520.76 USD
- 50% (Billed to Corporate)
==========================
$260.38 USD Net

This isn't quite free, should I jump on it?
Roughly speaking, when do you folks think the next price drop will be? Let's spitball here.

TIA.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
3752 posts
3287 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote:
Mar 15th, 2019 3:07 pm
This last camera won't be particularly useful for business and working professionals.
Why?

The photography world has considered a ~50mm eq lens the go to 'first lens' for every photographer for nearly a century.

What has changed?
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2018
10783 posts
10887 upvotes
repatch wrote:
Mar 15th, 2019 7:22 pm
Why?

The photography world has considered a ~50mm eq lens the go to 'first lens' for every photographer for nearly a century.

What has changed?
My circle. For the folks I interact with, the first two cameras are more than sufficient, especially the convenient wide angle cam.

I'm not a professional photographer or photography expert, but that's kinda my point.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2018
10783 posts
10887 upvotes
Gentlemen, the world is a strange place.

The Galaxy S10 can't tell when it's in your pocket, keeps waking the screen

Source 1: https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/03/1 ... he-screen/
Source 2: https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/commen ... ur_pocket/
Redditor A [S10 Owner]:
Yep I've noticed this on mine too. Definitely an issue that needs looking into.

Reditor B [S10 Owner]:
I've experienced this too. It happens when the phone is upright in a wireless charger, and when laying flat (face up) on the table and not charging.

I've turned off all the gestures, as well as the on-body detection. The only thing I haven't tried is turning off the AOD completely. That's the next step for me. This is another big issue for me, along with the poor in screen fingerprint performance.
Redditor 1:
Anyone with the s10e also see this as an issue? I recommended that phone to a friend, so I sure hope not.

Redditor 2 [S10e Owner]:
No. My S10e never wakes up.
In fact, it is better than my Note8 (I have had OneUI on it since December). I used Lift to Wake on it and it woke up by moving it a certain way most of the time.

My S10e almost never wakes up unless it sees my face, at which point it is immediately unlocked.
So folks, the case against the S10 and for the S10e is mounting, by my count:

- Better fingerprint sensing
- Better fingerprint reader positioning (thumb-reading for right-handed folks)
- Fingerprint sensor allows thumb scrolling up and down a page
- Lower screen resolution is still beyond retina PPI, offering faster performance for the same applications without noticeable fidelity loss
- Flat screen allows for the flush placement of tempered glass screen covers, which don't work properly on curved screens
- Phone is $50 to $150 USD cheaper than the S10
- S10e does not wake up when it's sleeping in your pocket, but it wakes when it sees you

Watch the primary and secondary phone markets adjust their demand towards the 10e, the rockstar business/professional/value phone from Samsung.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2017
1533 posts
1063 upvotes
Waterloo
redflagdealsguy wrote:
Mar 16th, 2019 12:15 am
Gentlemen, the world is a strange place.

The Galaxy S10 can't tell when it's in your pocket, keeps waking the screen

Source 1: https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/03/1 ... he-screen/
Source 2: https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/commen ... ur_pocket/

So folks, the case against the S10 and for the S10e is mounting, by my count:

- Better fingerprint sensing
- Better fingerprint reader positioning (thumb-reading for right-handed folks)
- Fingerprint sensor allows thumb scrolling up and down a page
- Lower screen resolution is still beyond retina PPI, offering faster performance for the same applications without noticeable fidelity loss
- Flat screen allows for the flush placement of tempered glass screen covers, which don't work properly on curved screens
- Phone is $50 to $150 USD cheaper than the S10
- S10e does not wake up when it's sleeping in your pocket, but it wakes when it sees you

Watch the primary and secondary phone markets adjust their demand towards the 10e, the rockstar business/professional/value phone from Samsung.
one person claiming the s10e isn't waking up is hardly evidence.
they're all using the same amoled display, same software, same technology for active display + tap for wake. i don't see a reason why s10 would wake with accidental touch while the s10e doesnt.
further investigation is needed to claim the s10e never would do it.

and even if they all do, this is a software issue that can be remedied, like the ultrasonic reader with day one update.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2018
10783 posts
10887 upvotes
Sicklyslick wrote:
Mar 16th, 2019 12:23 am
one person claiming the s10e isn't waking up is hardly evidence.
they're all using the same amoled display, same software, same technology for active display + tap for wake. i don't see a reason why s10 would wake with accidental touch while the s10e doesnt.
further investigation is needed to claim the s10e never would do it.

and even if they all do, this is a software issue that can be remedied, like the ultrasonic reader with day one update.
I've gone to a couple of forums looking into this problem, and invariably the vast majority are 10 and 10+ users complaining. Most of the 10e users so far claim not to suffer from the problem, though a small percentage claim otherwise (this is easily explained below).

On the 10e, folks pulling the phone out of one's pocket can accidentally unlock the screen as they contact the side sensor... giving the appearance that it was on the whole time. Truthfully, this isn't a problem, but may explain why a small percentage of 10e folks are confused and think they have the same issue.

Afraid your theory isn't holding water based on the preliminary anecdotes thus far.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)