Expired Hot Deals

[Samsung] Samsung Galaxy S10 up to $400 off w/ trade in (+ additional discounts too)

Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
3618 posts
3130 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote:
Mar 21st, 2019 10:27 am
Engineers can confirm this, but apparently 5G is energy hungry because of the high frequency bands involved in communication.

Other consequences:
- More mini-towers required (higher capital cost)
- Poorer building penetration
- Tot-mom NIMBY-ism (remains to be seen)

5G mini-towers are going up in neighborhoods and commercial areas across the densely populated NE and California.
Actually, this whole '5G' thing is full of confusing elements.

First off: 5G does NOT suggest a particular band. 5G can run on pretty much any band, and in NA it will likely run on the 600MHz spectrum recently vacated by TV broadcasters, which has relatively excellent in building penetration. Also, there is nothing stopping carriers from eventually refarming 3G/4G spectrum for 5G, exactly what was done when 4G/LTE was new. In addition, there is a world wide effort to standardize 5G deployments in the 3.5GHz range (much like B7 LTE is common around much of the world), it looks like that will happen.

The '5G' you are referencing, and which holds out most of the promises that 5G marketing focuses on, is in the 20+ GHz range:
https://medium.com/5g-nr/mobility-with- ... 2085b83d91

For the 5G-NR range, attenuation in our atmosphere becomes a very major factor for some of the range:
Untitled.png

Aside from that, in urban environments anything mm sized will drastically reduce signal.

So, for mmWave, you are basically relying on line of sight.

So are you going to see mmWave towers? Nope. They won't be towers. They'll basically look like the kind of WIFI access points you see in public areas of airports and things like that, a small 'bump' on the ceiling. Outside you MIGHT see little rectangular boxes on light poles or something like that.

But 'cell towers'? Nope. So the NIMBY factor disappears, people won't know anything is 'going up'
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2018
10371 posts
10497 upvotes
repatch wrote:
Mar 21st, 2019 10:42 am
The '5G' you are referencing, and which holds out most of the promises that 5G marketing focuses on, is in the 20+ GHz range:
https://medium.com/5g-nr/mobility-with- ... 2085b83d91

For the 5G-NR range, attenuation in our atmosphere becomes a very major factor for some of the range:

Untitled.png

Aside from that, in urban environments anything mm sized will drastically reduce signal.

So, for mmWave, you are basically relying on line of sight.

So are you going to see mmWave towers? Nope. They won't be towers. They'll basically look like the kind of WIFI access points you see in public areas of airports and things like that, a small 'bump' on the ceiling. Outside you MIGHT see little rectangular boxes on light poles or something like that.

But 'cell towers'? Nope. So the NIMBY factor disappears, people won't know anything is 'going up'
There are already stories about concerned moms voicing distrust of the 5G boxes you mention. It's unclear if it will foment into a bigger movement though.

Otherwise, I can't argue you on your engineering points. Semantics around 'towers' set aside.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
3618 posts
3130 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote:
Mar 21st, 2019 10:51 am
There are already stories about concerned moms voicing distrust of the 5G boxes you mention. It's unclear if it will foment into a bigger movement though.
Granted, there will always be people complaining about stuff they have zero true understanding off, usually fed by FUD that some celebrity with less then half a brain is spouting.

The difference with mmWave, is that a particular 'little box' will simply not affect as many people. It's relatively easy to rally hundreds of misinformed people to be against a huge cell tower proposed at a particular street corner, with a range of 10kms. Accomplishing the same for a box that only has a range of a maybe 30 meters? Fortunately for those not willing to use an outhouse: much more unlikely.

Most deployments won't be noticed at all. Hell, how many people notice the pico cells currently deployed in most large shopping malls? It will be the same.
Aug 29, 2012
110 posts
65 upvotes
Toronto
I'm seeing an up to $200 offer (not logged in) on koodo for trades in for the S10e. Not sure if this is an error or something new. looks like no white or 256/8gb in store though...
Aug 28, 2006
106 posts
16 upvotes
Edmonton
so has anyone gotten ceramic white s10+ 512gb/1tb in canada yet?
I love lamp.
Feb 14, 2007
661 posts
141 upvotes
WMah wrote:
Mar 21st, 2019 11:16 pm
so has anyone gotten ceramic white s10+ 512gb/1tb in canada yet?
nope i'm about to give up on it.. preordered on 20th at 11am when the store opened and 1 month later still no phone no update no nothing.. meanwhile trade in value for my phone have dropped 3 different times already...
Aug 28, 2006
106 posts
16 upvotes
Edmonton
i was never going to do a value trade in. was going to just shave 200 bucks with a useless flip phone that was not value depreciating lol
I love lamp.
Aug 28, 2006
106 posts
16 upvotes
Edmonton
debating whether to wait for the note 10 now. as it'll likely have the shrunken memory modules and ufs 3.0 for even better battery life. However given the s10+ launch price was 2200 cdn, i wonder if the top note 10 model will be 2500-2750. at what point do manufacturers need to take a step back and customers alike start to pass due to the price? 2200 doesn't seem to be the breaking point yet as it seems like there are still many people shelling out that much for the s10+
I love lamp.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17534 posts
1667 upvotes
Woodbridge
Didn't you get offered free Galaxy Buds with the delay?

I was told first week of April for my 512GB Ceramic White. Depending how much I end up selling them for, I love it puts money back in my pockets.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17534 posts
1667 upvotes
Woodbridge
WMah wrote:
Mar 21st, 2019 11:58 pm
debating whether to wait for the note 10 now. as it'll likely have the shrunken memory modules and ufs 3.0 for even better battery life. However given the s10+ launch price was 2200 cdn, i wonder if the top note 10 model will be 2500-2750. at what point do manufacturers need to take a step back and customers alike start to pass due to the price? 2200 doesn't seem to be the breaking point yet as it seems like there are still many people shelling out that much for the s10+
Shelling out and buried in debt? lol

When I picked up my girl's S10. I over heard several applying for No Payments in 6 months. This lady bought two with 2 years to pay off.

As for me. I will be trading in an old Nexus my co-worker gave me and Easter weekend week pay will cover the cost.

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Nov 30, 2018
29 posts
9 upvotes
bembol wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2019 12:02 am
Shelling out and buried in debt? lol

When I picked up my girl's S10. I over heard several applying for No Payments in 6 months. This lady bought two with 2 years to pay off.

As for me. I will be trading in an old Nexus my co-worker gave me and Easter weekend week pay will cover the cost.
What is a No Payment?
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17534 posts
1667 upvotes
Woodbridge
I don't know I think it's those make no payment plans with service fee. I just over heard it. Didn't get the full details.

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Aug 28, 2006
106 posts
16 upvotes
Edmonton
dunno bout other people but if i were gonna finance a phone i'd do it through a carrier tab plan. Buying the phone outright but i usually only upgrade every 3-4 years rather than yearly adopter. Rather have the freedom to jump to a new plan at will rather than being tied down. Although running the numbers I believe if I had a good quebec koodo plan, i would've done the medium tab as it works out to be the lower "end price" for the phone (after factoring in the $200 galaxy buds value). However now with samsung store offering white ceramic pre order free buds on top of the $200 trade in promo, it works out dead slightly ahead as the koodo end price worked out to be something around $1900 but with the buds offer for delay it works out to be around $1800. I signed up for a scotiabank visa infinite card just for this so i get another 10% cash back making my personal end price for the s10+ somewhere around $1600

The only 100% dealbreaker for me would be the phone doesn't get here before april 31st and samsung only offers buds and revokes the $200 trade in offer I would get for an old motorola razr v3
I love lamp.
Feb 14, 2007
661 posts
141 upvotes
WMah wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2019 12:14 am
dunno bout other people but if i were gonna finance a phone i'd do it through a carrier tab plan. Buying the phone outright but i usually only upgrade every 3-4 years rather than yearly adopter. Rather have the freedom to jump to a new plan at will rather than being tied down. Although running the numbers I believe if I had a good quebec koodo plan, i would've done the medium tab as it works out to be the lower "end price" for the phone (after factoring in the $200 galaxy buds value). However now with samsung store offering white ceramic pre order free buds on top of the $200 trade in promo, it works out dead slightly ahead as the koodo end price worked out to be something around $1900 but with the buds offer for delay it works out to be around $1800. I signed up for a scotiabank visa infinite card just for this so i get another 10% cash back making my personal end price for the s10+ somewhere around $1600

The only 100% dealbreaker for me would be the phone doesn't get here before april 31st and samsung only offers buds and revokes the $200 trade in offer I would get for an old motorola razr v3
nah they'll honor the $200 trade in deal i only wanted to trade in my glitchy iphone 7 that i was gonna get like $215+ $200 now it's like $155 + $200 i might as well just keep it and trade in my trash phone i have... the issue i have right now with them is the samsung online store have the phone available for shipping at least that's what i'm told.. yet the SES store never had a phone? so why would you allow preorder on a phone that you won't have at launch? if i knew the phone would not be available at launch i wouldn't have to pay express shipping for the stupid whitedome glass that's just sitting here collecting dust. i asked if i can just get a black one and they still honor me with the galaxy buds they flat out said no. nor are they going to do anything about the continuous drop of the trade in value for something that's not the customer's fault
Jul 27, 2009
354 posts
27 upvotes
If anyone is interested , I have a few broken phones. Can give it to for free , Scarborough area .