Expired Hot Deals

Samsung

Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 WiFi 32 GB for $197.99. Warm?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 24th, 2022 5:47 pm
Apr 28, 2019
183 posts
157 upvotes
I have the Samsung Galaxy Tab A 32GB Wi-Fi with 2GB of RAM and it is the slowest tablet I've ever had and will never purchase any device with less than 4GB of RAM, ever.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2014
1726 posts
1478 upvotes
brung wrote: lol funny enough, for Phone trade in, RIM was an option
I didn't pay for the playbook. It was part of the testing at work. Rogers (aka robbers) gave us one to test back then. I still have it and it's basically a place holder now. At the time, it was a nice tablet with some power.I still have a z10 and q10 as well. Again devices that I was given for free at the time. I was fortunate to attend the last BB conference in Florida. BB rented the theme park for the evening. Alicia Keys was the keynote speaker at Universal Studios. She even performed a small concert dedicated to RIM participants. Was a blast. :)
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28453 posts
14006 upvotes
jmc111 wrote: Costco only sells the 8.7" lite version and it comes with a cover for $179.99
I could swear they had the A7 (regular) in store too. I don't remember the price since I had no interest.
I did have interest in the S7 FE but it came with a stupid French keyboard.
deals1112 wrote: I have the Samsung Galaxy Tab A 32GB Wi-Fi with 2GB of RAM and it is the slowest tablet I've ever had and will never purchase any device with less than 4GB of RAM, ever.
Since Samsung is stupid with tablet naming, if it's the same tablet I'm thinking of (and have) yeah it is slow.
But it's also like 5 years old. Also it was a budget tablet.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Dec 24, 2011
629 posts
454 upvotes
toronto
jmc111 wrote: I didn't pay for the playbook. It was part of the testing at work. Rogers (aka robbers) gave us one to test back then. I still have it and it's basically a place holder now. At the time, it was a nice tablet with some power.I still have a z10 and q10 as well. Again devices that I was given for free at the time. I was fortunate to attend the last BB conference in Florida. BB rented the theme park for the evening. Alicia Keys was the keynote speaker at Universal Studios. She even performed a small concert dedicated to RIM participants. Was a blast. :)
I got one for like $100, 8 or 9 years back. Was amazing at that time. Sold it off last year for $50 some guy uses it on field to track their work data and said its sturdy as ever. God knows but it held the value pretty well. :-P
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2006
2109 posts
1253 upvotes
Toronto
If only this had a bit more memory I'd jump on it.
32GB will get eaten up fast with those big apps/games.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2014
1726 posts
1478 upvotes
animeshw wrote: I got one for like $100, 8 or 9 years back. Was amazing at that time. Sold it off last year for $50 some guy uses it on field to track their work data and said its sturdy as ever. God knows but it held the value pretty well. :-P
The playbook was similar to the Z10/Q10 in terms of toughness. You didn't really need a case, other than the screen protector. Built way better than the new smartphones on the market. I ended up using the playbook to load movies and some kid shows for the kids. Plugged into HDMI and voila.....Perfect on a large tv screen. :)

Not sure how it would compare to this Samsung budget tablet. Reminds of the old Apple days. Great internals but crappy software.
May 30, 2017
629 posts
237 upvotes
Brampton, Mount Plea…
BertL67369 wrote: The good about the A7 is good for entertainment consumption, atmos quad stereo speakers and wide aspect ratio.
Plus SD card!!! Disney, netflix on the go.

Used IPAD suck at the 3:4 ratio , but might be good for productivity and longevity like you said. No expending memory.... forget netflix/disney+ on the go.

I have a tab s4 (premium tablet back then), it runs still very strong, love the speakers and colors of the OLED (not the A7...
Sure, but it will age badly. That's my issue with these cheap/low to midrange tablets. Even Samsung's high-end tablets age badly, I have a Tab S2 and wow is it slow and crappy these days compared to even 2013 iPads...

Part of the reason is Samsung's software which is really quite heavy even these days. It slows down anything that isn't a top-end device. So you are stuck with badly-optimized software on low-level specs, which may be perfectly usable and a good value with better software, but is really slow with Samsung's TouchUI/whatever it's called.

Usually I recommend switching to LineageOS/a custom ROM for these devices but Netflix and other media apps are doing their kernel-level checks for Widevine and such now making this an ineffective option for most. A custom ROM would make this thing fly and would add longevity too. Samsung has been improving on the update front but just 3 years of updates isn't enough these days.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2008
2551 posts
2325 upvotes
cellnerd wrote: Sure, but it will age badly. That's my issue with these cheap/low to midrange tablets. Even Samsung's high-end tablets age badly, I have a Tab S2 and wow is it slow and crappy these days compared to even 2013 iPads...
I think ipads do last longer in the past but I don't think that is always the case as samsung tablets did come a long way in recent years. We got about 4 years with our first gen ipad air (which was pretty good) but then started having random issues with just regular single-tab browsing shortly after. It's probably hit or miss, but I don't think we can really say for certain that ipads will last longer anymore.

Having said that though, we still traded in the old ipad air with a newer ipad...
Nov 9, 2021
491 posts
916 upvotes
cellnerd wrote: Sure, but it will age badly. That's my issue with these cheap/low to midrange tablets. Even Samsung's high-end tablets age badly, I have a Tab S2 and wow is it slow and crappy these days compared to even 2013 iPads...

Part of the reason is Samsung's software which is really quite heavy even these days. It slows down anything that isn't a top-end device. So you are stuck with badly-optimized software on low-level specs, which may be perfectly usable and a good value with better software, but is really slow with Samsung's TouchUI/whatever it's called.

Usually I recommend switching to LineageOS/a custom ROM for these devices but Netflix and other media apps are doing their kernel-level checks for Widevine and such now making this an ineffective option for most. A custom ROM would make this thing fly and would add longevity too. Samsung has been improving on the update front but just 3 years of updates isn't enough these days.
This is 100% true even in 2021 and not just limited to tablets but phones too.

But I am sure next time Samsung will fix their bloat and make things snappy again :)

If only I had a dime for each time I heard that over the past decade.

That said, luckily there is an unofficial lineageOS build for this one and I am hoping it will eventually gain full lineageOS support like the S6 lite. THAT will be awesome and make the tablet worth it for sure.
Mar 10, 2010
263 posts
722 upvotes
Calgary
jmc111 wrote: I didn't pay for the playbook. It was part of the testing at work. Rogers (aka robbers) gave us one to test back then. I still have it and it's basically a place holder now. At the time, it was a nice tablet with some power.I still have a z10 and q10 as well. Again devices that I was given for free at the time. I was fortunate to attend the last BB conference in Florida. BB rented the theme park for the evening. Alicia Keys was the keynote speaker at Universal Studios. She even performed a small concert dedicated to RIM participants. Was a blast. :)
That sounds awesome. BB/RIM was really ahead of their time when they came out but everyone else(Apple, Samsung, etc) quickly caught up and surpassed them and BB just got left in the dust.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
23108 posts
28616 upvotes
This deal isn't bad, but it's pretty uncontroversial, perhaps an absolute truth, that the Amazon Fire HD 10 is a better value.

Still a great tablet, the A7.

God bless, gents.
Nov 24, 2018
753 posts
949 upvotes
Montreal, Quebec

I guess my point was, A7 is a not bad entertainment tablet. And some advantages over iPads. iPads never have the luxury to sideload or expandable memory. But yes, each has their advantage and disadvantages.
===========
Zoomer 22.5$ unlimited calls/ text + Fido 5$ 4GB; Dual sim P30 Lite.
On Waitlist for QC coverage for Freedom mobile 99$/yr.
Mar 10, 2010
263 posts
722 upvotes
Calgary
Surprised it took until 31 posts in for redflagdealsguy to come in and talk about the Amazon Fire HD 10
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2007
2326 posts
929 upvotes
Ended up getting one. This will be my first ever tablet.

What's a good screen protector that's on amz.ca based on your guys experience?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 26, 2014
6506 posts
6795 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
Bah too bad they only accept Samsung/Microsoft/Apple tablets, I'd for sure take this if they gave me anything for my ASUS.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2008
8728 posts
2145 upvotes
Mont-Royal
cellnerd wrote: Personally... I would rather pick up a used iPad for this price, or a sealed iPad for $300 off eBay. Or even Kijiji/FB Marketplace, just make sure you carefully inspect the iPad before buying. The iPad will last you longer and even if it's the 2018 model it still has way better specs than this 2020 tablet and it will last you longer. Plus more accessories and better apps and support overall
the problem is ipad doesn't have android in it. Have you tried to install android in ipad?
"Every marathon you run, your heart scars and you will die faster. If you think running a marathon is fitness, then you know NOTHING ABOUT HEALTH & FITNESS."
- Training 101
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
6561 posts
6870 upvotes
Vancouver
wing0 wrote: IIRC you can't move apps to SD card?
Android 11 no longer permits apps to be moved to SD card because of all the past screwups.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
6561 posts
6870 upvotes
Vancouver
deals1112 wrote: I have the Samsung Galaxy Tab A 32GB Wi-Fi with 2GB of RAM and it is the slowest tablet I've ever had and will never purchase any device with less than 4GB of RAM, ever.
That's an older model.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)