• Dec 4th, 2020 4:36 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jun 28, 2003
10434 posts
3494 upvotes
Ottawa

Samsung Smart TV Tizen Operating System and Android Apps

Good morning folks: I recently purchased a new Samsung Smart TV for my Dad because I thought I could download an Android App called VTV Go to allow him to watch all the Vietnamese news channels.

I mistakenly thought that since all Samsung phones and tablets run on Android, Samsung Smart TVs would run on Android as well. I only found out after the fact that is not the case. Samsung Smart TVs run on Tizen.

I have done some research and it looks like I might be able to *side-load* Android-based apps onto Tizen but it does require some technical work on my part and it may possibly void warranty. I am also unsure if it will work well or if it will be buggy.

Could you please let me know if I should attempt to do so or if it is better for me to return this Samsung TV and simply get one that runs on Android instead (Sony for example, as I understand LG Smart TVs use WebOS). I don't know much about the other brands (RCA, HiSense, Insignia, Bolva etc) so I prefer to stick to well-known TV brands.

Thank you very much.
2 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
17239 posts
3493 upvotes
Toronto
I would Google the app and Android TV to make sure it's bug-free before making a purchase.

It may be easier to buy a Google Chromecast with Android TV and remote.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
2282 posts
446 upvotes
If you really like the TV I wouldn't worry about running apps on Tizen because of their limitations. You can buy a Firestick and be done with it, side load everything onto it.