Expired Hot Deals

[The Source] Samsung UV Sanitizer With Wireless Charging (Back in Stock!) $34.99

[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2008
9449 posts
498 upvotes

[The Source] Samsung UV Sanitizer with Wireless Charging $34.99

Samsung sells this for $70
https://www.samsung.com/ca/mobile-acces ... u020sacwd/
and same price at BB but OOS
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/sa ... lsrc=aw.ds

UV is good for bacteria but unknown effects for Covid
Last edited by TomRFD on Nov 20th, 2020 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added price to title
178 replies
Mar 16, 2008
44 posts
68 upvotes
Toronto
its $28 if you have perkopolis on samsung partner program site
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2011
1178 posts
466 upvotes
Brandon
Does this actually work or is it just a gimmick? I am wary of products making such claims...
May 16, 2010
328 posts
206 upvotes
Vancouver
thanks OP, was looking for something like this for my son who is a little OCD in the Covid times..
Dec 22, 2017
366 posts
633 upvotes
dboyman5 wrote: Does this actually work or is it just a gimmick? I am wary of products making such claims...
The sterilization effect of UV-c light is proven by research. It is used in hospital settings to sterilize patient rooms and utility rooms regularly.

In terms of whether there would be an actual health benefit for you from regular sterilization of electronics for an average healthy adult can be debatable. Regular hand washing would be the most important factor.
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2011
1417 posts
4346 upvotes
79628116-7DAA-41EB-B2CD-2E9B80353BDC.jpeg
Bought mine from Samsung directly. Design is great and it seems to live up to its claim. However, we need to understand the limitation.

Summary:
1. It seems to give out enough UVC to kill bacteria and get rid of virus for 90% (1 log) to 99% (2 log ) reduction under ideal condition.
2. But the intensity of UVC seems weak according to the dosimeter card test.
3. The raised ridges on the bottom does not raise the object high enough to let UVC shine through. I.e. only the side facing upwards is effectively sanitized.
4. Using a disinfecting wipe probably more effective and can be done in seconds

Disclaimer:
I am no expert in UV sanitization, but i still want to share my experience testing the device with a dosimeter can which changes color depending on the intensity of the UVC light.

To test the samsung uv sanitizer, i used UVC dosimeter cards. The original color is yellow, when exposed to UVC , it changes to orange, indicating a UVC dose of 50mJ/cm2, when it changes to Pink, it means a dose of 100mJ/cm2. (50, and 100 are the guidelines used in medical facilities).

Test card facing upwards:
1 cycle (10 minutes): no color change
5 cycles( 50 minutes): orange (i.e. 50mJ/cm2)
10 cycles (100 minutes) :Pink (i.e. 100mJ/cm2)

(I could be wrong) Based on the above, i.e. 5 cycles for a dose of 50mJ/cm2 , I estimated that 1 cycle (10 minutes) gives a dose of about 10mJ/cm2 of UVC.

From what i searched online, many common bacteria and viruses can be reduced by up to 2 log (99%) at about 5‐10mJ/cm2 dose. When you have 50mJ/cm2 - 100 mJ/cm2 dose , the sanitization can get to 3 or 4 log reduction (i.e. 99.9% - 99.99%) for most bacteria and viruses.

So samsung's claim of eliminating up to 99% bacteria seems to be correct. However, this is only under ideal condition, i.e. if your item is free of dust/lint or other debris that might block uvc light.

That is why the higher 50mJ/cm2 or 100mJ/cm2 are the guideline used in medical facilities.

The issue is on the bottom side. There are a few ridges bottom to raise the object so that uvc can shine through (theoretically).
When testing the dosimeter test card facing down:
No color change even after 10 cycles (100minutes). I have yet to run enough cycles to change the color when facing down.
As mentioned, the sanitizer has a few small ridges to lift the item by 1 or 2 mm . But this is probably not high enough to allow UVC light to shine through the bottom side.
So i cannot estimate the dose it gives per cycle facing down. but for sure it is very low compared to facing upwards.

Overall, i am satisfied with the product. For the relatively weak UVC but at an affordable price, I would have given it 4 stars out of 5.

Another star is taken off because only the upward facing side is effectively sanitized. So you have to flip the phone at least once (The sanitized side could be re-contaminated since you might touch both sides of the phone when flipping it over. ). Assuming you did everything carefully, it still take at least 2 cycles (20 minutes) to sanitize both sides of a phone.

Keep in mind that sanitizing wipes can do a 99.9% reduction (3 log reduction) and can be done in a few seconds.

Wireless charging is a nice feature. Small objects like earbuds , keys etc will work fine. But the container is too shallow, most sunglasses are too thick (e.g. curved oakley) to fit inside limiting its use.

Overall, it is a cool gadget to have but it can only be a supplementary sanitization and i would still use sanitizing wipes as the primary sanitizing method.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/review/B08 ... dctrvw_srp
Dec 25, 2005
22 posts
29 upvotes
techno87 wrote: its $28 if you have perkopolis on samsung partner program site
Geez... This perkopolis has a mind of it's own. The other day it was $30, yesterday it was $55, now it's $28... Anyways thanks for the head up! Picked one up!
Aug 30, 2020
24 posts
6 upvotes
Got one also , now im just missing the wireless battery pack.
May 6, 2006
63 posts
18 upvotes
Vancouver
Thank you! ordered 5 units for xmas gifts!
Apr 8, 2013
75 posts
36 upvotes
Ontario
Does the source CAA discount only work on regular priced items?
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2005
1503 posts
346 upvotes
GTA
This or a box of alcohol wipes that I can clean in 10 seconds?
----------------------------------------------------
Koodo $60/10GB plan - Medium Tab
Lucky Mobile $25 plan
Speakout + $10 unlimited text
May 31, 2019
112 posts
558 upvotes
Coppertone2005 wrote: This or a box of alcohol wipes that I can clean in 10 seconds?
Where did you find wireless Qi charging alcohol wipes? I can only find regular ones around here
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2005
3710 posts
1529 upvotes
Pointe-Claire
Ordered! Thanks OP!

Saw that review too... my guess is that if they could confirm that it does destroy the Covid-19 virus, it would cost more than $34.99 Winking Face. Let's hope the 99% works! 🤞
I can't afford to save that much!
Aug 31, 2007
430 posts
122 upvotes
Toronto
Coppertone2005 wrote: This or a box of alcohol wipes that I can clean in 10 seconds?
I've been using alcohol wipes but I think I have to switch to a UV light system ... I think the wet alcohol wipes have damaged mic and speaker on our phones...
Freedom $50 - 17GB
Koodo Mobile $35 - 10GB
>>> Message Me <<<
Dec 25, 2012
546 posts
628 upvotes
Ontario
ali88 wrote: I've been using alcohol wipes but I think I have to switch to a UV light system ... I think the wet alcohol wipes have damaged mic and speaker on our phones...
If your phone is water resistant it shouldn't have. And alcohol is the preferred method to clean off electronics as it evaporates and drys fast.