• Last Updated:
  • Sep 9th, 2021 11:45 am
83 replies
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
3584 posts
2575 upvotes
toronto
I have a thin piece of metal in my case on the back, I use it to attach to my car mount. Would my s20FE still charge through that piece of metal or no?
Got that FIDO account!
Got that ZOOMER account!
Dec 14, 2020
179 posts
411 upvotes
riseagainstthemachine wrote: I have a thin piece of metal in my case on the back, I use it to attach to my car mount. Would my s20FE still charge through that piece of metal or no?
No. It won't work. I used to have a magnet for my car holder too but I switch to a regular car holder now because I got a new S21 Ultra and didn't want to pass on the wireless charging.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
3584 posts
2575 upvotes
toronto
BobotteSentie wrote: No. It won't work. I used to have a magnet for my car holder too but I switch to a regular car holder now because I got a new S21 Ultra and didn't want to pass on the wireless charging.
ok thanks. Just so easy to throw the phone at the magnet. might have to get rid of it though.
Got that FIDO account!
Got that ZOOMER account!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2013
6075 posts
1860 upvotes
Manila, Philippines
riseagainstthemachine wrote: I have a thin piece of metal in my case on the back, I use it to attach to my car mount. Would my s20FE still charge through that piece of metal or no?
It will not work.
FreedomMobile 35% Friends & Family
Dec 14, 2020
179 posts
411 upvotes
riseagainstthemachine wrote: ok thanks. Just so easy to throw the phone at the magnet. might have to get rid of it though.
Oh trust me. I know. I actually miss it. It's was not bulky either. Now my car has this big plastic thing on top of my air vent. Can't have everything I guess.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2011
1158 posts
1443 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks OP, I ordered and received 2 of these last week. It's pretty good quality. It even includes the USB wall charger - even the more expensive $30 Anker that I picked up previously didn't come with it. Heck even the Airpods Pro or iPhone didn't come with it.. blah
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2006
3637 posts
1090 upvotes
GTA
I am able to charge with a metal plate on my S21. I suppose it's all about positioning. We would normally stick the plate dead center on the back of the phone (or case) but as we soon found out, it would not wirelessly charge. Had to drop the plate lower (closer to charging port) so theres no interference. Works again.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2013
6075 posts
1860 upvotes
Manila, Philippines
jaszy wrote: I am able to charge with a metal plate on my S21. I suppose it's all about positioning. We would normally stick the plate dead center on the back of the phone (or case) but as we soon found out, it would not wirelessly charge. Had to drop the plate lower (closer to charging port) so theres no interference. Works again.
Depends where is your plate is.
FreedomMobile 35% Friends & Family
Feb 17, 2018
146 posts
160 upvotes
Thanks! Missed it last time. Now for the 60W car charger to be back in stock....
Feb 6, 2019
298 posts
417 upvotes
Niagara Region
Wahoo, got one this time! Thanks OP!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5508 posts
3627 upvotes
Toronto
My dad has one of these. The actual convertible function is too clunky to switch back and forth regularly but it's nice to have both options.
Jan 5, 2006
381 posts
704 upvotes
Hamilton
Thanks OP! I had just ordered an Anker wireless charger but cancelled it to get this. Since this comes with the wall charger and a usb c cable it was a no brainer. Don't forget your favourite cashback site and airmiles.
Dec 26, 2016
81 posts
52 upvotes
You can still make it work. I have the same setup and I moved the metal plate to the bottom of my phone.
Deal Guru
Jun 20, 2020
12069 posts
14553 upvotes
Toronto
barcathegreat wrote: I couldn't find the watts.. Is it 7.5?
9W for Samsung phones

"Get back to your work or playtime quickly with the Fast Wireless Charging capability. Harnessing a maximum of 9W of power, it helps ensure you don't have to wait too long to get back to 100% battery."

"Compatible with Apple devices with wireless charging support up to 7.5W fast charging."
Destiny is all
Jun 19, 2016
31 posts
12 upvotes
vancouver
it all depends on where that piece of metal is located, if it away from the wireless charging coil, it will work. I do have cellphone ring on on my phones and they still wireless charge, just make sure you figure out where the coil is, can simply move the metal to different parts of the phone and leave on the charger to see if it charges.