Expired Hot Deals

Moto E 2nd Gen XT1527 (LTE+wind) $99 (markham)

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 2nd, 2016 9:58 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2009
3627 posts
832 upvotes
Toronto

Moto E 2nd Gen XT1527 (LTE+wind) $99 (markham)

Price:
looks like samtack will have their first 2016 warehouse sale in markham this weekend

i scanned through their flyer on facebook, and saw some unlocked phone deals, namely a 2nd gen moto-E XT1527 for $99, which can LTE and can also wind according to willmyphonework.net....8GB storage but looks like it has microSD slot. but seems like no camera flash so that's a dealbreaker for me, but for those who want an unlocked cheap phone that can wind with not-too-bad specs, this may be a good option

no idea if it's new or refurb, but they did not say the moto E is refurb but their other phones on sale did.

havent been to the warehouse sale yet so cant confirm yet if the deal is real, but will go take a look tomorrow to see for myself

PS they have motorola nexus 6 for $349 but its refurb, samsung s5 unlocked for $299 but also refurb, according to their facebook flyer
7 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2010
7026 posts
2674 upvotes
Calgary
I got this one from BB on sale for $60. It's a good phone but not very good if you want to install a lot of apps. With only 8G memory the system takes up 5G with only 3G left for new apps. The phone will take a microSD card but the problem is that a lot of apps can't be moved to the external memory and the card is only good for keeping pictures, books, and music etc. The new Marshmallow 6.0 will allow you to make the microSD card as part of the internal memory. It's good when it comes to expanding memory but once you assigned your card as part of the internal memory you can't remove it or your phone will have a lot of issues.

For people who want a simple phone that doesn't hold a lot of apps this one is pretty decent.
Banned
Mar 28, 2016
43 posts
3 upvotes
althetrainer wrote: I got this one from BB on sale for $60. It's a good phone but not very good if you want to install a lot of apps. With only 8G memory the system takes up 5G with only 3G left for new apps. The phone will take a microSD card but the problem is that a lot of apps can't be moved to the external memory and the card is only good for keeping pictures, books, and music etc. The new Marshmallow 6.0 will allow you to make the microSD card as part of the internal memory. It's good when it comes to expanding memory but once you assigned your card as part of the internal memory you can't remove it or your phone will have a lot of issues.

For people who want a simple phone that doesn't hold a lot of apps this one is pretty decent.
Was it unlocked and pre paid ?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2010
7026 posts
2674 upvotes
Calgary
pramodgokhale123456 wrote: Was it unlocked and pre paid ?
Mine was prepaid locked to Telus. Just a few bucks to unlock it. Got an unlock code from one of the RFDers, took just a few minutes, easy peasy.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27792 posts
13392 upvotes
$100 is a bit high for this phone.
It's not that great.

INB4 time machine but this regularly goes on sale in various countries for $50-80CAD brand new.
Best Buy US just had them for $50USD.
Telus had them a while back for $80CAD.
Wind had refurbs for $60CAD I think.

If it's new it's not that bad of a price.
If it's refurb it's pretty bad.

EDIT: They were all XT1527s too.
If you count the XT1528, Verizon had $10 units.
I bought a couple just for parts.
pramodgokhale123456 wrote: Was it unlocked and pre paid ?
Locked but unlock codes are like $2-3. Trivial to unlock.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 25, 2012
5236 posts
4369 upvotes
Toronto
Good for a basic smart phone, but $100 + tax is just a little too much. Got mine for $50-$70 + tax from earlier London Drugs and Best Buy deals at the end of 2015, and then a bit extra to unlock each, 4 phones unlocked without issue. I think the phone is worth at least $80-$90 in value, in my opinion.

Only major downside is camera isn't that good & no flash as mentioned before. But otherwise works great for media & internet related tasks.

Major bonus is that Telus just released Android 6.0 Marshmallow update, working without issue & I'm getting even better battery life out of it using the new battery saving options in Android 6 which limits background apps (battery life was very good already).

Here is the last major thread about this phone, might have more info: best-buy-telus-motorola-moto-e-2nd-gen- ... s-1885829/
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2010
1312 posts
612 upvotes
Somewhere in Ontario
Got this phone for $30 USD a couple weeks ago. Does anyone have the link for marshmallow ROM? I can't get CM13 to detect sim card.