• Last Updated:
  • Sep 14th, 2021 11:30 pm
[OP]
Jan 13, 2016
567 posts
298 upvotes
Vancouver, BC

San Francisco hotel recommendations

Does anyone have any recommendations for reasonably priced hotels in san francisco that aren’t scummy? I’m interested in going but i hear its expensive.
9 replies
Banned
Dec 1, 2020
862 posts
339 upvotes
Moderators lick khun…
Orchard Garden. Decent location clean and not too much compared with others. Just have a look. And some advice, never call the city san fran. I had a very memorable meal at LihoLiho and also State Bird Provisons. Mister Jiu is also solid.
Mar 6, 2011
62 posts
39 upvotes
Ajax, ON
If you're looking for value, might consider staying near the airport or the outlying suburbs (South San Francisco, Daly City, San Bruno, etc) and take BART to go into the city. Parking at the BART station is $3/day.

And yes, locals cringe when they hear "San Fran". I know I do. It's safe to call it "the city".
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
1350 posts
794 upvotes
Toronto
I stayed in Hotel Kabuki in Japantown the last time I was there. Wasn’t terribly pricey but was a lovely hotel. Granted that was 10 years ago.
Sep 30, 2001
28803 posts
8003 upvotes
Toronto
I can recommend not staying at Hotel Epik. The place itself is good and not the problem. The problem is the area. Lots of homeless, tent cities, disturbances at night, etc. Ante up and get a place in a better area.
We're all in this together. Be kind and civil with one another
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2012
1599 posts
1252 upvotes
Toronto
It's hard to find a reasonably priced hotel in SF that's not in a terrible area
Mar 3, 2009
927 posts
403 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
It really depends on what the OP considers a reasonable price. I may consider it reasonable to pay $200US per night in a good area where somebody else may call me crazy.

It also depends on which month. Summer will be more expensive but you should see some savings into fall and winter.

Marriott had some really good deals for December in my opinion ($140US for the Marquis at Union Square) but now that things are returning to normal (for now?) the price has jumped up quite a bit.

As some other posters have said, you will find much better value the further away you are from the city and you can use BART to commute in if you want.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 1, 2006
6938 posts
6482 upvotes
Toronto
OP, if you just need a convenient place to sleep, and you're not going to be spending a lot of time in your room... consider The Herbert Hotel

Budget priced, clean and very well located. Small rooms, though... and some rooms have shared bathrooms, but you can choose one with your own private bathroom.
I swear to drunk I'm not God 😝
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4511 posts
470 upvotes
Stay in Oakland and take the train in.
SF is expensive!