Credit Cards

Saskatchewan Pension Plan: Credit Card spend on RRSP Contributions (All Canadians) (Contribute as much as you like!))

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 14th, 2024 5:48 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2014
6580 posts
9086 upvotes
Rankin Inlet, NU

Saskatchewan Pension Plan: Credit Card spend on RRSP Contributions (All Canadians) (Contribute as much as you like!))

Update 21January2023 Returns for 2023 are posted. See below or most recent posts.

Update 24October2023 The variable benefit is now available. This means you can keep your investments at Saskatchewan Pension Plan after you retire and do not require to convert to a pension or transfer out if you would rather stay with the SPP! More options!

**unlocked RRSP funds only

This is not the most well-known investment product, however I believe people that require minimum spends and are planning to invest money in RRSPs can really benefit from this program.

Saskatchewan Pension Plan is a RRSP program based in Saskatchewan that is available to all Canadians with RRSP contribution room. It has a lowish MER of around 1% and has had a 36year average of around 7.73% return annually. It is a balanced fund and can be converted into an RRIF-annuity, transferred to your RRIF at any other bank later on, or you can choose the variable benefit allowing you to stay invested and withdraw as you see fit!

The great attraction is that you can use your VISA^, Mastercard and now AMEX** to contribute into it and it is treated as a purchase. (**Their website and literature refers to VISA and Mastercard only. However, SPP has confirmed with me that AMEX is accepted.). This can be done with pre-authorized payments or one-time contributions on their website. You can also contribute from your bank account as well as transfer-in unlocked RRSP funds from other institutions.
^VISA Debit excluded

There are some drawbacks. This is not the lowest MER fee investment out there. You can definitely save on your fees with ETFs, etc. Your money is also locked-in until retirement. This means you cannot use the RRSP balance toward Life-long Learning Plan (LLP) or the Home Buyer's Plan (HBP). No transfer outs either. You can start transferring or drawing from it once it is converted into an RRIF (starting at age 55) and only at this time.

That being said if you are someone that cannot be bothered to do ETFs on your own, and are planning to sock money away for the future, it isn't a bad plan at all. The credit card spend is nice to boot.

Personally, I only do a small portion of my RRSP to SSP and do my own stocks. However, for anyone that can't be bothered, this is not a bad option.

https://www.saskpension.com/index.php
saskatchewan-pension-plan-985264/

2023 Stats
2023 Return 7.80%
(Cdn. Couch iShares Core Balanced ETF: 12.78%)
2022 MER 0.85%
2021 MER 0.92%
5 year Return (end of 2023) 7.41%(annualized)

(Cdn. Couch iShares Core Balanced ETF: 7.24%(annualized))

38year Historical Return(end of 2023) 7.73%(annualized)

Balanced Investment As of Dec 31, 2023 Comparison

Code: Select all

Fund Name			 1 year 3 year 5 year 10 year
Saskatchewan Pension		 7.80%	4.87%	7.41%	 6.61%    
WealthSimple Balanced	        11.40%  1.10%	4.90%    N/A
WealthSimple Balanced SRI	 10.3%  0.50%   4.50%    N/A
(frmr)CCP Tangerine Balanced	 11.55%  3.36%	6.49%	5.91%
(frmr)CCP TD e-Series Balanced   12.35% 3.95%	7.41%	6.78%
(frmr)CCP ETF Balanced	        12.2%   3.64%   6.98%     N/A
iShares Balanced (XBAL)	        12.78% 3.66%   7.24%    5.52%
Vanguard Balanced (VBAL)	 12.49% 3.21%	6.85%	N/A
BMO Balanced (ZBAL)		 12.48% 3.38%	N/A	N/A
Mawer Balanced Fund		 10.1% 1.8%	6.0%	6.5%	
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I.G. Core Portfolio Balanced 	 8.18% 2.34%  5.01%	4.16%	
RBC Select Balanced Fund	 10.2%	2.0%	5.9%	5.4%
TD Comfort Balanced Gr Fund	11.18% 1.34%	2.31%	4.62%
Sunlife Granite Balanced          8.9%	1.7%	5.4%	5.6%
Scotia Selected Balanced Gr.     9.41% 1.64%    5.35%   4.90%
CIBC Managed Balanced    	 9.31% 2.01%	5.11%	4.37%	
** Note: TD e-Series for some reason has different numbers on their Fund Fact Sheet versus their webpage. For example TD e-Series 2022 return shows -14.50% while their fund fact sheet -20.1%. I have asked for clarification, but haven't received a response.
CIBC website not updated for 2023, used Morningstar instead.

Frequently Asked Questions

Why invest with Saskatchewan Pension Plan?
It is a great and flexible RRSP investment that is safe, flexible, low cost and can earn you tremendous credit card rewards. This is the only, fairly low cost investment you can contribute with a credit card. You can invest as little as 1 cent. All Canadians can join, you do not have to live in Saskatchewan! For those who also want a stable annuity/pension payment upon retirement, SPP provides competitive rates and pension payments that are guaranteed by the Government of Saskatchewan.

Another benefit for those without a pension plan, you can take advantage of the pension tax credit from the CRA (thanks @Gursk !)
The CRA allows you to claim a $2000 Pension Tax Credit each year. Annuitizing the Sask Pension at exactly $2000 per year starting at age 55 allows you to maximize this tax credit. You can simply ask for this amount and have remaining funds transferred to a RRIF of your choice at your choice of bank or financial institution. This tax credit is worth upto $300.
https://www.advisor.ca/columnists_/fran ... ax-credit/

If you were to do this with an insurance company, the annuity costs are much higher than SPP.

Can I withdraw early, transfer-out early?
No. This is one thing to keep in mind before investing. SPP does not allow for withdraws even for the Home Buyer's Plan or Life-Long Learning Plan.

What is the variable benefit?
The variable benefit was originally only allowed for Saskatchewan residents but now available to all members. This allows you to maintain your Sask Pension account investment and withdraw money similar to a RRIF. This is great if you would rather keep your investment with SPP!

I already have a pension. How will this benefit me?
While you can get your money as a pension later in life, you have the ability to keep your money invested with SPP as the variable benefit. SPP Balanced Fund is quite competitive for it's asset class. The SPP investment returns are fairly competitive. Additionally, you also could transfer out after retirement to an RRIF of your choosing.

Aren't credit card contributions treated as cash advances?
Not in this case! So rest assured, your contribution is treated as a purchase!

Do contributions count toward minimum spend requirements (MSRs)?
Yes, it is treated as a purchase so it counts.

Does Saskatchewan Pension Plan Pre-Authorized Contributions count toward reoccurring bill payment bonuses on credit cards?
YMMV. It seems it depends on the issuer. Please post if you can provide a data point.
(Tangerine Mastercard, No) (thanks @jevonb )
(TD Cashback, Yes BUT TD Rewards, No)(Thanks @latebuyer)
(BMO, Yes)(Thanks @hk1989 )
(Scotia, Yes)(Thanks @guilleiguaran
(**if anyone has a credit card with this bonus and starts an automated contribution plan, please post your experience for data points)

There are cheaper investments out there. Why SPP?
Although the MER is higher than say ETFs, the investment return has been very competitive and in some cases have beat some of the equivalent Canadian Couch Potato portfolio returns. Once you factor in credit card rewards, you could be earning much more. Additionally, there are no fees involved other than the MER while many options such as ETFs require an investor to pay commission fees and in some cases management fees. That being said, one should consider the type of investment this is.

So is this the best investment out there?

NO. There is no single best investment plan out there. SPP is one of many investment options available. SPP has limitations such as it is only available as a balanced fund or short term fund. This is a 60% equity, 40% fixed income investment. This may not be appropriate to your risk tolerance nor for your growth requirements. Additionally, there are no early withdrawals. For those that need to save for retirement and are not well disciplined, this may be a good thing though! This might not be great for investors who may need early access to their money. It is important to look at your overall financial situation before deciding to invest. SPP however is a solid, no-frills option that may complement your investment portfolio. For those that need further direction, seeking advice from a financial adviser may be appropriate. RFD Investing Forum is a great community resource for those who would like to learn and starting DIY investments.
Last edited by xgbsSS on Feb 1st, 2024 5:21 pm, edited 74 times in total.
Support your local Credit Union!

RRSP where you can deposit with a Credit Card, earn rewards investing!
RFD Saskatchewan Pension Plan
356 replies
Apr 28, 2012
964 posts
345 upvotes
QC
Do they also offer a TFSA product ?

Any info on the transfer-out fees ?
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2014
6580 posts
9086 upvotes
Rankin Inlet, NU
Flitox wrote: Do they also offer a TFSA product ?

Any info on the transfer-out fees ?
No TFSA unfortunately.

This is a locked retirement product, so no transfer outs allowed

Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2013
6478 posts
3339 upvotes
Kingston, ON
Don't know where you get $6,000 annual spend. Max SPP contribution is $2500/yr/person. So $5,000/couple. You can transfer-in $10,000/year of RRSPs, but that doesn't work for Visa/MC spend.

[Edit]Huh... they just increased it. Nevermind. $6,000/yr/person it is.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2014
6580 posts
9086 upvotes
Rankin Inlet, NU
Mike15 wrote: Don't know where you get $6,000 annual spend. Max SPP contribution is $2500/yr/person. So $5,000/couple. You can transfer-in $10,000/year of RRSPs, but that doesn't work for Visa/MC spend.

[Edit]Huh... they just increased it. Nevermind. $6,000/yr/person it is.
Yeah, they just announced it today. I have always put in $2500 a year to get valuable points/miles. I don't know if I want to go up to $6000, but we'll see!

Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2015
1676 posts
582 upvotes
The OP indicates
You can start transferring or drawing from it once it is converted into an RRIF and only at this time.

So can't you convert to an RRIF
then transfer to your own account
Then convert back to rrsp?

It's a lot of steps but technically possible?
Jul 12, 2005
565 posts
185 upvotes
Peterborough
Another bonus with SPP is the increased creditor protection vs. RRSP. Big bonus for small business/self-employed people.
Freedom Mobile, Simplii, EQ and Wealthsimple, customer
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2014
6580 posts
9086 upvotes
Rankin Inlet, NU
wra45mon wrote: The OP indicates
You can start transferring or drawing from it once it is converted into an RRIF and only at this time.

So can't you convert to an RRIF
then transfer to your own account
Then convert back to rrsp?

It's a lot of steps but technically possible?
Unfortunately no. SPP doesnt actually support accounts as RRIFs, but rather allows you to transfer to one at any institution starting at age 55.

In this way, they reduce costs over the long term. The credit card option costs them quite a bit but attracts investors, so they've decided to make funds loxked to reduce costs.

Jan 4, 2017
366 posts
277 upvotes
Able to fund by cc and available to all Canadians? That's actually pretty cool! I had no idea this existed, thanks for posting.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
zcypher wrote: Able to fund by cc and available to all Canadians? That's actually pretty cool! I had no idea this existed, thanks for posting.
+1

Question about CC payments for contribution...can they be setup as pre-auth payments? Some cards leverage higher CB on PAP.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2014
6580 posts
9086 upvotes
Rankin Inlet, NU
titaniumtux wrote: +1

Question about CC payments for contribution...can they be setup as pre-auth payments? Some cards leverage higher CB on PAP.
Yes you can. You can make PAC contributions on the 1st and 15th of each month using pre-authorized debit or credit card. I personally do not use it, so cannot tell you how it works, but I do know when you sign up, they provide a form and it has credit card as an option.

Also listed on their FAQ
https://www.saskpension.com/faq.php#payments

Jan 4, 2017
366 posts
277 upvotes
xgbsSS wrote: Yes you can. You can make PAC contributions on the 1st and 15th of each month using pre-authorized debit or credit card. I personally do not use it, so cannot tell you how it works, but I do know when you sign up, they provide a form and it has credit card as an option.

Also listed on their FAQ
https://www.saskpension.com/faq.php#payments
That's awesome. So does this not make RRSP loans irrelevant if you can leverage cc cashback + switch it to say 0%-12mo mbna after? Not saying that's necessarily a great idea or anything but for anyone that is considering paying 2% for an RRSP loan, maybe? Am I missing something? lol
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2014
6580 posts
9086 upvotes
Rankin Inlet, NU
zcypher wrote: That's awesome. So does this not make RRSP loans irrelevant if you can leverage cc cashback + switch it to say 0%-12mo mbna after? Not saying that's necessarily a great idea or anything but for anyone that is considering paying 2% for an RRSP loan, maybe? Am I missing something? lol
Yeah pretty much. Although some credit card transfers allow you to transfer directly to your bank account (eg. RBC).
If you were planning to use an RRSP loan, that would be a decent alternative if you can muster it.

Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18923 posts
10494 upvotes
Thanks for sharing - I never knew it existed.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
zcypher wrote: That's awesome. So does this not make RRSP loans irrelevant if you can leverage cc cashback + switch it to say 0%-12mo mbna after? Not saying that's necessarily a great idea or anything but for anyone that is considering paying 2% for an RRSP loan, maybe? Am I missing something? lol
+1

With the MBNA PP, if you have access to a generous CL, you shouldn't resort to an RRSP loan, meaning the Sask Pension is not all bad and shouldn't be overlooked just for not allowing RRSP loans.

The point I brought up is some of us get 2 or 3% cashback on pre-auth payments, so 3% on $6k is $180 back, and that $180 is considered a reward/gift/prize and therefore is not subject to income tax.
xgbsSS wrote: Yeah pretty much. Although some credit card transfers allow you to transfer directly to your bank account (eg. RBC).
If you were planning to use an RRSP loan, that would be a decent alternative if you can muster it.
+1

No need to resort to an RRSP loan.
sonjeffnguyen wrote: 1% MER is horrible....
You mean the 1% on the Sask Pension? What do you suggest that has comparable return with a lower MER?
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Jan 4, 2017
366 posts
277 upvotes
At 0.87%, their MER is actually not that bad. The people buying these are probably not those who will put the time and effort into building out their own basket of super-low funds. So in that light, it's actually a competitive rate. It's cheaper than Tangerine.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2014
6580 posts
9086 upvotes
Rankin Inlet, NU
zcypher wrote: At 0.87%, their MER is actually not that bad. The people buying these are probably not those who will put the time and effort into building out their own basket of super-low funds. So in that light, it's actually a competitive rate. It's cheaper than Tangerine.
Plus the credit card rewards. Here in Iqaluit, Aeroplan miles helps to pay my roundtrip ticket from Ottawa to Iqaluit 15000miles ($2400 roundtrip). So for me, I am getting a big return on this.

Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
xgbsSS wrote: Plus the credit card rewards. Here in Iqaluit, Aeroplan miles helps to pay my roundtrip ticket from Ottawa to Iqaluit 15000miles ($2400 roundtrip). So for me, I am getting a big return on this.
I was reading online that aeroplan points redemption gives best value towards flights to the territories. Since you travel between Ottawa and Iqaluit, then it's a no-brainer.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2014
6580 posts
9086 upvotes
Rankin Inlet, NU
2017 End of year report

9.70% return which is fairly competitive considering the conservative nature of the investment. This is comparable to the Canadian Couch Potato Balanced Portfolio return....
1 year 5 year
SSP = 9.70% 9.42%
CCP balanced= 8.96% 9.64%
**Mind you, CCP will give you more flexibility, lower MER fees so better chances of outperforming in the long run. SSP is less flexible, doesn't give you any early withdrawal options. However, there are no transaction/trading fees, no brokerage account to worry about, no minimum balances and possible credit card rewards!

The MER came to 0.83% which is a good sign. Costs over the last 5 years have been trending down.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)