Travel

Saudi Arabia is open for travel (i mean after covid)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 2nd, 2021 12:30 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2005
3230 posts
912 upvotes
Mars

Saudi Arabia is open for travel (i mean after covid)

a country which has been closed for tourism in the past opened its door actually in 2019. Now Canadians can apply evisa online (pretty expensive) and stay up to 90 days in the country.
21 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2015
1045 posts
523 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Nice to see. Would be interesting to go there, especially if I could arrange some proper desert trips. That said, Oman is higher up on my list and far more friendly to westerners.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2012
2257 posts
3561 upvotes
Toronto
Can't wait to visit the famous Deera Square (colloquially known as "Chop Chop Square").

Seriously speaking though I'd be interested in going one day, but have a few others in the region I'd rather check off first. Oman is one, which is mentioned above.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
8694 posts
1575 upvotes
Vancouver
Google reviews says avoid picking up visa at their istanbul location not sure why.

There’s an old joke. MBS plan for Saudi 2030 titled “enjoy” nobody is sure if that’s an order or suggestion.
Last edited by GangStarr on Jan 22nd, 2021 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2004
1735 posts
223 upvotes
Mississauga
Worked there for 2 years. 1980+.
Not a chance.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2005
3230 posts
912 upvotes
Mars
ozzie16 wrote: Can't wait to visit the famous Deera Square (colloquially known as "Chop Chop Square").

Seriously speaking though I'd be interested in going one day, but have a few others in the region I'd rather check off first. Oman is one, which is mentioned above.
Andy34 wrote: Nice to see. Would be interesting to go there, especially if I could arrange some proper desert trips. That said, Oman is higher up on my list and far more friendly to westerners.
i went to Oman in 2019, better rent a car if you plan a desert trip. too bad could not go to Yemen then. UAE is the most friendly country to westerners in the region, from my personal experience. I wonder if I could visit Mecca.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2015
1045 posts
523 upvotes
Calgary, AB
forgetpwd wrote: i went to Oman in 2019, better rent a car if you plan a desert trip. too bad could not go to Yemen then. UAE is the most friendly country to westerners in the region, from my personal experience. I wonder if I could visit Mecca.
Of course, although more specifically a Hilux or LC. The plan would be a self drive trip for a couple of weeks. Almost went a couple of years ago, but went elsewhere instead.
Aug 1, 2007
706 posts
67 upvotes
forgetpwd wrote: i went to Oman in 2019, better rent a car if you plan a desert trip. too bad could not go to Yemen then. UAE is the most friendly country to westerners in the region, from my personal experience. I wonder if I could visit Mecca.
You would not be able to visit Mecca unless Muslim. That being said they rarely check every car or everyone coming in from the few times I have been. You can go anywhere else in the country. Also, it won't be officially open till March 31 from what I read. Like others have said so many other places to go also that would be first.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
8707 posts
5634 upvotes
Kootenays
I wouldn't reward a country with such an abysmal human rights record with my tourist dollars.
Aug 21, 2010
892 posts
343 upvotes
toronto
would not go, even if it was free..middle east
no thankyou
im sure there are isis want to bees there
Dec 13, 2016
367 posts
213 upvotes
GTA
forgetpwd wrote: a country which has been closed for tourism in the past opened its door actually in 2019. Now Canadians can apply evisa online (pretty expensive) and stay up to 90 days in the country.
Nothing to do there visit other Arab country like UAE.
FreedomMobile
DakilangMangingibig
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2005
3230 posts
912 upvotes
Mars
smgksa wrote: Nothing to do there visit other Arab country like UAE.
i have been UAE couple of times, Saudi is pretty much the only country left in the region except the war zone countries Iraq, Syria. always want to visit Iran but...you know...don't know if i could one day visit Iran as a backpacker in my lifetime.
Dec 13, 2016
367 posts
213 upvotes
GTA
forgetpwd wrote: i have been UAE couple of times, Saudi is pretty much the only country left in the region except the war zone countries Iraq, Syria. always want to visit Iran but...you know...don't know if i could one day visit Iran as a backpacker in my lifetime.
Just be careful when you visit KSA.
FreedomMobile
DakilangMangingibig
Deal Addict
May 10, 2011
1420 posts
469 upvotes
Ottawa
Do you have to pick up your visa from the Saudi consulate? I heard someone went to pick up some documents and it didn't end well....
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2015
1045 posts
523 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Killer_Saves wrote: You would not be able to visit Mecca unless Muslim. That being said they rarely check every car or everyone coming in from the few times I have been. You can go anywhere else in the country. Also, it won't be officially open till March 31 from what I read. Like others have said so many other places to go also that would be first.
Out of interest, I’ve always wondered how they check you’re a Muslim. It’s not like you can flash your “Muslim card”.
smgksa wrote: Nothing to do there visit other Arab country like UAE.
What’s there to do in the UAE?!
Dec 1, 2020
427 posts
247 upvotes
The places I'd love to visit are not open to people who are not muslim. I can shop in many places in the world.
I likely do not care.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2007
3503 posts
644 upvotes
GTA
No thanks, don't want my head chopped off.
Aug 1, 2007
706 posts
67 upvotes
Andy34 wrote: Out of interest, I’ve always wondered how they check you’re a Muslim. It’s not like you can flash your “Muslim card”.

What’s there to do in the UAE?!
The few times I been I never been checked nor have I seen anyone being checked. They normally check your passport when they do stops. UAE has Dubai and Abu Dhabi. Just more activities to do. Dubai has nice places to eat. Desert activities and can find something to do. Abu Dhabi was more of a place to relax, at least to me.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2012
2257 posts
3561 upvotes
Toronto
flamez1000 wrote: No thanks, don't want my head chopped off.
You can watch one though at scenic Deera Square - they actually call it "Chop Chop Square".