Personal Finance

Save 3c / litre at Petro Canada when you link your RBC Credit/Debit card (+ 20% more Petro Points)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 22nd, 2018 8:41 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2009
1116 posts
450 upvotes
Toronto
djino wrote: You should ignore the fuel savings card because that can be used with any method of payment, so its not relevant to your comparison.

Average Gas price for your area right now (Gloucester) is 117.9 / litre.

4% Cashback = 4.72 c cashback per litre as is what you would receive by paying with your CIBC. Note that you are also paying a $99 annual fee for the CIBC Dividend Infinite Visa

RBC Rewards+ Visa (1% back in RBC Rewards points no annual fee). This translates into a 3c / litre Instant savings + 1.18c / litre savings in RBC Rewards Points (=4.18c / litre total + 20% more Petro Points - with no credit card annual fee)

djino
Nice breakdown! I think the RBC offering is better for most because the $99 takes a long time to claw back and with the RBC you get the 20% bonus Petro. I wonder what amount of spending you need to make the 99$ worth it
Oct 17, 2017
8 posts
1 upvote
The 20% partner bonuses do stack. I have my CAA and HBC linked and get 40%.
Jan 15, 2010
554 posts
371 upvotes
Very badly designed website.

It kept telling me my petro points number is invalid, even though I directly copied the number from petro points account page.

Now it no longer allows me to input petro points, instead, it asks me to go petro point website to confirm the number.

I did, and I got forward back to RBC website, which asks me go back to petro point again to confirm the number.

So it bounces me between two websites for nothing.

EDIT: It works on PC with Firefox, but not on Android with Chrome.
Deal Guru
Jan 19, 2017
10058 posts
6149 upvotes
2017PD wrote: The 20% partner bonuses do stack. I have my CAA and HBC linked and get 40%.
I link all 3 cards More Rewards®, CAA Ontario, BCAA or Hudson’s Bay Rewards™ card and I only get 40% more. I called Petro Can and they said you don't get the 20% bonus for More Rewards card.
Mar 23, 2004
47726 posts
13898 upvotes
Markham
djino wrote: You should ignore the fuel savings card because that can be used with any method of payment, so its not relevant to your comparison.

4% Cashback = 4.72 c cashback per litre as is what you would receive by paying with your CIBC. Note that you are also paying a $99 annual fee for the CIBC Dividend Infinite Visa

RBC Rewards+ Visa (1% back in RBC Rewards points no annual fee). This translates into a 3c / litre Instant savings + 1.18c / litre savings in RBC Rewards Points (=4.18c / litre total + 20% more Petro Points - with no credit card annual fee)

djino
Good breakdown, but I think i will stick with my TD Infinite CB FYF @ 3% for now as I dont use RBC rewards points at all.
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2009
1116 posts
450 upvotes
Toronto
IMO this thread is in the wrong the location. There is no cobranded card and this works with any credit or debit card so should be moved to the ongoing deal discussion.
Mar 2, 2011
458 posts
95 upvotes
Gloucester

djino
Thanks for the breakdown djino but I dont pay the $99 annual fee, it was waived off for me so at the end of the day, it looks like theres barely any difference on which way i go, 4.72 cashback vs 4.18 savings plus 20% more petro points so basically the extra .54 cents i save with cibc, is it at the end of the day worth the 20% additional petro points? lol meh dont see one jump out as the card to go with
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2013
3158 posts
3525 upvotes
Montreal
P0rkchop wrote: IMO this thread is in the wrong the location. There is no cobranded card and this works with any credit or debit card so should be moved to the ongoing deal discussion.
It got moved by the moderator.
<no self promotion>
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2008
15587 posts
7027 upvotes
Gatineau
pardesi_bhai wrote: Thanks for the breakdown djino but I dont pay the $99 annual fee, it was waived off for me so at the end of the day, it looks like theres barely any difference on which way i go, 4.72 cashback vs 4.18 savings plus 20% more petro points so basically the extra .54 cents i save with cibc, is it at the end of the day worth the 20% additional petro points? lol meh dont see one jump out as the card to go with
Note that the 54 cent difference is only when gas prices are at 117.9 / litre. The cheaper the gas price is, the smaller the savings difference is between these two Credit cards. As soon as you hit $1 / litre, the amount you receive is the same. And if gas prices are under $1, then it favours the RBC card over your CIBC card.

djino
Last edited by djino on Oct 31st, 2017 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mar 2, 2011
458 posts
95 upvotes
Gloucester
djino wrote: Note that the 54 cent difference is only when gas prices are at 117.9 / litre. The cheaper the gas price is, thesmaller the savings difference is. As soon as you hit $1 / litre, the amount you receive is the same. And if gas prices are under $1, then it favours the RBC card over your CIBC card.

djino
agreed, thanks for the breakdown
Deal Fanatic
Dec 16, 2005
6907 posts
5592 upvotes
So I could use RBC westjet card?

Get 3c off and 1.5% westjet dollars...

Was only using westjet card for companion ticket but this makes the $99 annual fee even better
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2015
1678 posts
585 upvotes
mech9t5 wrote: So I could use RBC westjet card?

Get 3c off and 1.5% westjet dollars...

Was only using westjet card for companion ticket but this makes the $99 annual fee even better
Soon to be $119Grinning Face AF
Jun 25, 2012
123 posts
47 upvotes
Vancouver
pardesi_bhai wrote: Thanks for the breakdown djino but I dont pay the $99 annual fee, it was waived off for me so at the end of the day, it looks like theres barely any difference on which way i go, 4.72 cashback vs 4.18 savings plus 20% more petro points so basically the extra .54 cents i save with cibc, is it at the end of the day worth the 20% additional petro points? lol meh dont see one jump out as the card to go with
Well a big part of it is also if you value the cashback or RBC rewards points? If you can't accumulate enough RBC rewards points for a redemption there's not much value there!
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
4104 posts
2980 upvotes
Kitchener
Nice, I already got a 5¢ discount card, plus 3¢ with my RBC Visa with this link and at typically 30 litres per week, so $2.40 is money in my pocket.
Why can't we all just get along?
Banned
Mar 9, 2012
815 posts
430 upvotes
Drummondville, QC
Can someone explain how much the Fuel Savings reward cost? Thank you
Current credit card set up:
CIBC Dividend Visa Infinite: 4% groceries, 4% gas, 2% transit, 2% restaurants, 2% recurring bills
Tangerine MC World: 2% drugstore, 2% home improvement, 2% hotel-motel
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2014
1739 posts
960 upvotes
Newton Brook, ON
ml88888888 wrote: I link all 3 cards More Rewards®, CAA Ontario, BCAA or Hudson’s Bay Rewards™ card and I only get 40% more. I called Petro Can and they said you don't get the 20% bonus for More Rewards card.
I wonder if that's true or it's just a 40% cap. Does anyone have only More Rewards linked to confirm they get 0%? I vaguely remember them even advertising the bonus back when the partner was added.

I went back to the page I quoted yesterday, and it was actually just changed... from:

"Earn 20% more points when you register your More Rewards®, CAA Ontario, BCAA or Hudson’s Bay Rewards™ card."

To:

"Earn more points when you register your More Rewards®, CAA Ontario, BCAA or Hudson’s Bay Rewards™ card."
You need someone with an umbrella not a fork
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2014
1739 posts
960 upvotes
Newton Brook, ON
djino wrote: Note that the 54 cent difference is only when gas prices are at 117.9 / litre. The cheaper the gas price is, the smaller the savings difference is between these two Credit cards. As soon as you hit $1 / litre, the amount you receive is the same. And if gas prices are under $1, then it favours the RBC card over your CIBC card.

djino
That isn't counting the extra 20% in RBC rewards. The break-even point between RBC and CIBC (or any 4% card) is $1.05/L. Including the 20% bonus Petro-Points, break-even becomes $1.13/L. Full breakdown in this post.

stockboy88 wrote: Well a big part of it is also if you value the cashback or RBC rewards points? If you can't accumulate enough RBC rewards points for a redemption there's not much value there!
Basically you're going to have to spend about $2100 on gas to get the value out of RBC ($25 gift card every 2500 points). The first year will be easier because you can easily get 1500 to 3500 bonus points up front (link). The extra 20% of Petro-Points is basically as good as cash because it's adding to your existing pool and minimum redemption is only 1000 points ($1).
You need someone with an umbrella not a fork
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2005
6905 posts
417 upvotes
Ottawa
djino wrote: Note that the 54 cent difference is only when gas prices are at 117.9 / litre. The cheaper the gas price is, the smaller the savings difference is between these two Credit cards. As soon as you hit $1 / litre, the amount you receive is the same. And if gas prices are under $1, then it favours the RBC card over your CIBC card.

djino
The good thing with the CIBC card that a lot of us got that's $0 annual fee during the switch is we're getting 4% on gas ANYWHERE and not restricted to Petro Can. I really like the flexibility I have now.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2008
15587 posts
7027 upvotes
Gatineau
nmclean wrote: That isn't counting the extra 20% in RBC rewards. The break-even point between RBC and CIBC (or any 4% card) is $1.05/L. Including the 20% bonus Petro-Points, break-even becomes $1.13/L. Full breakdown in this post.
This is true. I totally skipped over the fact that you also get an extra 20% in RBC Rewards Points in addition to the extra 20% in Petro Points.

djino
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
9135 posts
7092 upvotes
West GTEH!
Bit the bullet and applied for the RBC Cash Back MC. Best of the worst for me. I prefer cashback cc.
I don't travel a lot and the Rewards card didn't interest me. :rolleyes:
😎

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)