Expired Hot Deals

[Save On Foods] Western Canada Only - Save on Foods: Redeem 12K Pts for $50 off Groceries - Dec 3-6

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 7th, 2020 3:42 am
[OP]
Jan 5, 2010
317 posts
173 upvotes
Edmonton, AB

[Save On Foods] Western Canada Only - Save on Foods: Redeem 12K Pts for $50 off Groceries - Dec 3-6

Received an email from Save on Foods with this offer:

Redeem 12000 points this weekend and get $50 off your grocery bill. As far as I remember that is the more generous they have been with points for in store cash.

Edit: Also realized this is stated in their new flyer at the bottom of pg 1.

Enjoy!
Images
  • SaveOn.jpg
Last edited by DiscountRaja on Dec 3rd, 2020 6:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
65 replies
Mar 25, 2006
691 posts
434 upvotes
Thanks OP, no "generous" offer for me. Please put YMMV.
[OP]
Jan 5, 2010
317 posts
173 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Actually, I just realized that it is shown in their new flyer at the bottom of Page 1.
starscreamX wrote: Thanks OP, no "generous" offer for me. Please put YMMV.
May 6, 2006
172 posts
83 upvotes
Victoria
This is pretty good deal. I usually redeem 30k points for free car and driver voucher for bcferries.
I'd be more apathetic if I weren't so lethargic
Nov 18, 2006
460 posts
175 upvotes
Can the points be used to redeem for gift cards if I buy a pack of gum? I think normally if you straight up redeem points for gift cards they cost 30k points per $50.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2005
3857 posts
4830 upvotes
somewhere in B.C.
I've never thought too much of Save-on's points. I've shopped there exclusively for years and have maybe 3000 points (I did redeem for milk once)

how do you guys earn so many points?
[OP]
Jan 5, 2010
317 posts
173 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Starfield1009 wrote: Can the points be used to redeem for gift cards if I buy a pack of gum? I think normally if you straight up redeem points for gift cards they cost 30k points per $50.
Yah, typically you can't you can't redeem offers like this for gift cards as you suggest. I was thinking the same thing, as I didn't notice any specific "amazing" deal I want to buy, and my wife just did our grocery shopping! But I was thinking about perhaps getting a few packs of their boneless, skinless, fresh chicken breast - even though I prefer paying $10/pkg and then getting 15% off (1st Tuesday of the month). Face With Tears Of Joy
Nov 18, 2006
460 posts
175 upvotes
raskal wrote: I've never thought too much of Save-on's points. I've shopped there exclusively for years and have maybe 3000 points (I did redeem for milk once)

Like you've said it does take awhile to accumulate points, but usually in the app/flyer there's a coupon barcode where if you spend x amount of dollars you get like 500-2000 points Without the bonus I think you only get 1 point per dollar spent.
[OP]
Jan 5, 2010
317 posts
173 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Starfield1009 wrote: Like you've said it does take awhile to accumulate points, but usually in the app/flyer there's a coupon barcode where if you spend x amount of dollars you get like 500-2000 points Without the bonus I think you only get 1 point per dollar spent.
And last week they had a super doooper special promotion where if you only spent $20 or $25 you get a bonus of 5K pts. That put me over this threshold so I can take advantage of all this free, fresh, boneless, skinless chicken breast!
Sep 5, 2005
946 posts
1622 upvotes
Victoria
This is a pretty decent valuation, however value is still slightly higher if you do the car & driver BC Ferries voucher cash & points option.
For cash & points, 7500 points is worth approx $28.50, whereas for this offer 7500 points is worth $25.
If you never take ferries, this is about as high as a valuation that you can get.
Never redeem for the one off free products for x points. Those have horrible valuation. The BC Ferries voucher by redeeming all points also has a much lower points valuation then cash & points.
Sep 5, 2005
946 posts
1622 upvotes
Victoria
SamuraiPizzaCat wrote: This is pretty good deal. I usually redeem 30k points for free car and driver voucher for bcferries.
The 7500 points plus $45 is way better value.
Sep 5, 2005
946 posts
1622 upvotes
Victoria
raskal wrote: I've never thought too much of Save-on's points. I've shopped there exclusively for years and have maybe 3000 points (I did redeem for milk once)

Use the app and collect bonus points. Each week there is spend x get y bonuses that must be activated in the app. Collecting points without that is extremely slow.
As of this week, you can get double points if you use a CIBC card for payment, too. Unsure if the bonus points are doubled too, probably just the base amount.
Jan 18, 2012
828 posts
145 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks OP for the post, can you add Western Canada only?
Deal Addict
May 7, 2006
1756 posts
1903 upvotes
invinci wrote: Thanks OP for the post, can you add Western Canada only?
While this deal may be WC only, SOM is a nationwide program with partners across Canada
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2015
1416 posts
1280 upvotes
definitely. I wrote a post about this before.
The best way to redeem more rewards points is to use the 7500pts + $45 voucher, and travel to Salt Spring Island from Vancouver. During peak hours it'll cost you $84.5 so 7500 points almost gives you $40 off.
The other good one is to redeem sea to sky gondola tickets but probably because of the vandalism this option is no more on the more rewards catalogue.
tofinoguy wrote: Use the app and collect bonus points. Each week there is spend x get y bonuses that must be activated in the app. Collecting points without that is extremely slow.
As of this week, you can get double points if you use a CIBC card for payment, too. Unsure if the bonus points are doubled too, probably just the base amount.
Aug 30, 2020
508 posts
768 upvotes
YEG/YYZ
Save on foods = scam on foods. Most overpriced grocery store ever. What's the point is getting a one time $50 voucher when you end up paying $50 a month more than if you shopped at RCSS/Walmart/No Frills.
Feb 23, 2014
967 posts
469 upvotes
I don't have access to a car (can't pass the vision test) and always feel left out with these bulk buying offers. This one's not bad, but those friggen case lot sales and spend $250 get 250 Airmiles and some other shit are dumb. all the spending needs to be in one trip. I can't carry that much. At least with $50 I can put a bunch of meat in my cart and I'm good. Just need the freezer space.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2006
2569 posts
3506 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Save on sucks for its loyalty point program which is why I'm not loyal to them.
I stick with superstore...redeemed hundreds of dollars with them.

I've collected points with save on for over 5 years and all I've gotten was a jug of milk.
Sep 5, 2005
946 posts
1622 upvotes
Victoria
CanadianConsumerYEG wrote: Save on foods = scam on foods. Most overpriced grocery store ever. What's the point is getting a one time $50 voucher when you end up paying $50 a month more than if you shopped at RCSS/Walmart/No Frills.
Are you kidding?
Save on Foods is decidedly cheaper than Sobeys/Thrifty/Safeway. Many of the items I get are up to $2 less at SOF.
Plus they have better sales.
Are prices higher than Walmart? Probably, but the atmosphere is better too. That doesn't make it a scam. And there are some of us that value shopping at a Canadian company vs. international mega firm that is known for mistreating employees & vendors.
And don't get me started about produce quality at my nearest RCSS.
Are airlines that charge a little more but provide better amenities & service a "scam" too?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)