Expired Hot Deals

Save On Foods

Wild, fresh, pink salmon $8.90 per kg (head removed)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 9th, 2021 1:23 am
[OP]
Aug 13, 2015
641 posts
1145 upvotes
Vancouver, BC

[Save On Foods] Wild, fresh, pink salmon $8.90 per kg (head removed)

Save On Foods has this deal at least a couple times a year, but normally the salmon is frozen.
This week (till Aug 11, 2021) they have fresh, wild pink salmon for $8.90 per kg.
Lots in stock when I visited a Save On this morning.
They are smaller in size, less than 1 kg each.
Images
  • Save On Pink Salmon.PNG
20 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2012
4701 posts
4187 upvotes
Fyi. Superstore had fresh headless pink salmon on sale for $1.99/lbs ($4.14/kg)

Can't comment on quality vs SOF.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2009
1320 posts
5293 upvotes
Van Isle
OP not trying to be a dick but this is an absolutely horrific price/deal for the catfood salmon of the seafood world. .39/100g is about what you should be paying for humpies fresh or frozen and then straight into the smoker or canner from there.
Militant Atheist....There's no goddamn god goddamn it
Dec 2, 2003
954 posts
123 upvotes
Toronto
Could you both might be comparing FARMED vs WILD salmon pricing? FARMED should be by far much cheaper. I think I saw WILD for $19.99/lb so 8.90/kg seems to be a deal unless I am mistaken…
Jul 24, 2006
116 posts
97 upvotes
Vancouver
This is pretty good for gutted, fresh, and wild salmon. I brought a few just yesterday. I have seen similar prices in superstore, but they are not wild and were previously frozen here on the west coast.
Aug 29, 2012
279 posts
208 upvotes
SURREY
Elusive wrote: Could you both might be comparing FARMED vs WILD salmon pricing? FARMED should be by far much cheaper. I think I saw WILD for $19.99/lb so 8.90/kg seems to be a deal unless I am mistaken…
There's more to salmon than farmed or wild. This is for pink salmon which to some people is a less desirable salmon when compared to Chinook, sockeye and coho. I've never seen or heard of anyone farming pink salmon.
Apr 9, 2008
544 posts
240 upvotes
Bby
Fresh Pink salmon is great on the BBQ, especially at this price
Oct 31, 2017
245 posts
363 upvotes
here, there, and eve…
the head is the best part of the salmon
Let's go Canucks
$35 Shaw unlimited talk and text plan between Canada, US and Mexico
25 gbs of data in Shaw network 2 gbs nationwide, in US and Mexico
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2002
2690 posts
637 upvotes
Burlington
$6.59/kg @ Fortinos (GTA). Asked the guy behind the counter, he told me wild caught Alaskan.
I butchered the fileting, but was still decent. Probably worked out to about $9/kg for filets. Going to buy some more, to bbq whole.
Not your standard VoIP. Different and novel options & advice for my RFD friends.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2009
1163 posts
405 upvotes
Vancouver
Elusive wrote: Could you both might be comparing FARMED vs WILD salmon pricing? FARMED should be by far much cheaper. I think I saw WILD for $19.99/lb so 8.90/kg seems to be a deal unless I am mistaken…
Do they bother to farm pink salmon? It's a relatively tiny and much cheaper priced fish. I'd be shocked if they did farm pinks.
Last edited by blankall on Aug 8th, 2021 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jul 3, 2021
121 posts
83 upvotes
blankall wrote: Do they bother to farm pink salmon? It's a relatively tiny and much cheaper priced fish. I'd be shocked if they did farm pinks.

Also, $8.90/kg is $19.58.... Not a deal.
What? Your math is backwards $8.90kg is $4/lbs
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2009
1163 posts
405 upvotes
Vancouver
liquidnails wrote: Fresh Pink salmon is great on the BBQ, especially at this price
I agree. Goes great with a bit of lemon. It's a different kind of fish though. Very white, difficult to get bones out of, and very light flavor. Anyone expecting a rich salmon flavor will be disappointed.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2009
1163 posts
405 upvotes
Vancouver
Rfdinyyc wrote: What? Your math is backwards $8.90kg is $4/lbs
You're right....I need more sleep. Yeah this price is good then. Typical is about $8-10/fish for me. A full salmon is probably 1.5 lbs?
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2005
2583 posts
2721 upvotes
blankall wrote: Do they bother to farm pink salmon? It's a relatively tiny and much cheaper priced fish. I'd be shocked if they did farm pinks.
Not reading the post four lines above yours?. The link says they plan to farm pink salmon in Argentina. Strictly for local consumption, I guess. As a less afluent country that is very far from Alaska or BC, it may be their only affordable source of salmon.
Deal Addict
May 10, 2008
1282 posts
1311 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Does anyone know what the quality is like? I’ve never tried fish from Save on Foods.

I’ve sworn off buying fish from Superstore because my purchases there have always ranged from “a little smelly” to “so rotten that I have to air out my kitchen after taking the Saran Wrap off”. I think Marine Dr x Main doesn’t keep their fish display cold enough.

Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2015
2358 posts
2653 upvotes
Angel Girl wrote: Does anyone know what the quality is like? I’ve never tried fish from Save on Foods.

I’ve sworn off buying fish from Superstore because my purchases there have always ranged from “a little smelly” to “so rotten that I have to air out my kitchen after taking the Saran Wrap off”. I think Marine Dr x Main doesn’t keep their fish display cold enough.

their quality is heads above stupidstore.
Sep 14, 2020
191 posts
203 upvotes
Fortinos has it for about 2.99/lb for 2nd week now. It's barely pink, good for BBQ. No yield if you planning to fillet it. It's an okayish product from Alaska. It's wild though, if that counts. But I wouldn't buy it at this price
Oct 7, 2020
251 posts
192 upvotes
For people looking for good uses for pink salmon, I've used it for salmon cakes and chowders, where the other flavour/texture elements compensate for the relative blandness of the pinks. For pan frying / grilling, I generally pay the extra for sockeye, but there is very little of that around this year.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2007
13752 posts
4114 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
Angel Girl wrote: Does anyone know what the quality is like? I’ve never tried fish from Save on Foods.

My experience on the Island is like yours. I have bought fish at RCSS in Duncan, brought it home, unwrapped it, and thrown it out.
Global warming will be exceeded during the 21st century unless deep reductions in carbon dioxide (CO2) and other greenhouse gas emissions occur (United Nations IPCC Report 2021)

Every disaster film starts with scientists being ignored