Home & Garden

Saved $600+ per year on home insurance after getting Rogers Home Monitoring system :)

  • Last Updated:
  • Jun 3rd, 2016 11:05 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 23, 2014
1927 posts
561 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Saved $600+ per year on home insurance after getting Rogers Home Monitoring system :)

Long story short, I was paying $2000+ annually on my home insurance and after installing Rogers Home monitoring I was able to negotiate the rate down by $600/year. Very pleased with the alarm install as the rogers kit basically utilize my existing DSC system, hardwired sensors and control pad. Included with the package is their own touchscreen which is much easier to use than the DSC pad and can be positioned anywhere in the house. The install cost is free as my house is pre-wired and the monthly fee is $19.99 for broadband and GSM wireless monitoring. From my understanding, this is a very good rate for centrally monitoring dual network system, whereby other vendors charges much more for GSM connection.

Not bad of a deal considering the annual premium saved far exceeds the monitoring cost! If you guys have any question feel free to ask!

For my install, the following was provided with no additional cost:

- Rogers Touchscreen control with GSM SIM
- Netgear router for broadband monitoring
- LG Smart Connected LED Light bulb
- Free replacement lead acid battery for the DSC panel box
Mining & Workstation EPYC 7702 64 Core & Dual 3950x Rigs | ASUS STRIX RTX 3090 OC | 3X NEC PA301W | 64GB DDR4 ECC |5 TB Samsung NVMe Storage
25 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16599 posts
2314 upvotes
$19.99 is a fair price - in line with The Monitoring Center w/ GSM. The fact you got a new touchscreen makes it a good deal.

However, it is surprising you got a $600 a year discount for home monitoring - that is unusual. But your home insurance is very expensive; how much is your property worth?
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jun 9, 2003
24797 posts
1910 upvotes
Markham, ON
...wow $2k home insurance...where do you live? how big is the place?


very very unusual that there is such a large premium for an unalarmed home...
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 23, 2014
1927 posts
561 upvotes
Toronto, ON
coolspot wrote: $19.99 is a fair price - in line with The Monitoring Center w/ GSM. The fact you got a new touchscreen makes it a good deal.

However, it is surprising you got a $600 a year discount for home monitoring - that is unusual. But your home insurance is very expensive; how much is your property worth?
Long story short, when I first got the place in 2014, we had to take on a mortgage that is close to 10X our annual income and by using the first house (now a rental) as a collateral, the lender was able to approve our mortgage on the condition that the replacement cost on the insurance coverage is higher than what we purchased the property for, even higher than the appraised value. This is fair for the lender since they are taking a risk giving us the loan :)

Fast forward 16 months, we were able to pay off quite a bit of the original mortgage and the lender agreed to allow us to lower the coverage amount and in addition to the security system we were able to renegotiate the rate down the about $1500/month.
thelefteyeguy wrote: ...wow $2k home insurance...where do you live? how big is the place?


very very unusual that there is such a large premium for an unalarmed home...
The house is in the Markham area and is about 4000 square feet (custom built) + but the lot is almost 2.5X the size of the house footage. As for the price of the place, lets just say I pulled the trigger on the right place at the right time (like stock trading) in a low season (late fall 2014) and has appreciated by about $40K to $50K on a month to month basis since purchase :)
Mining & Workstation EPYC 7702 64 Core & Dual 3950x Rigs | ASUS STRIX RTX 3090 OC | 3X NEC PA301W | 64GB DDR4 ECC |5 TB Samsung NVMe Storage
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 30, 2007
29189 posts
14947 upvotes
Toronto
Mine is $2,224 a year. added with sewage backup coverage. North Toronto.

Shopped around online & thru brokerage.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 23, 2014
1927 posts
561 upvotes
Toronto, ON
booblehead wrote: Mine is $2,224 a year. added with sewage backup coverage. North Toronto.

Shopped around online & thru brokerage.
Is it level 2 sewage backup coverage? Maybe you can knock down the price a bit more? Do you have an central monitored alarm system and water sensors?
Mining & Workstation EPYC 7702 64 Core & Dual 3950x Rigs | ASUS STRIX RTX 3090 OC | 3X NEC PA301W | 64GB DDR4 ECC |5 TB Samsung NVMe Storage
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 30, 2007
29189 posts
14947 upvotes
Toronto
don't remember my coverage in details (renewed back in March 2016). Brokerage told me in my area, many insurers have now capped their coverage liability (not sure if they prefer to take lesser risks on this kind of coverage).

I only have local alarm system.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
2836 posts
1308 upvotes
Mississauga
What insurance company is giving the discount?
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 23, 2014
1927 posts
561 upvotes
Toronto, ON
bubuski wrote: What insurance company is giving the discount?
The Co-operators
Mining & Workstation EPYC 7702 64 Core & Dual 3950x Rigs | ASUS STRIX RTX 3090 OC | 3X NEC PA301W | 64GB DDR4 ECC |5 TB Samsung NVMe Storage
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
2397 posts
1370 upvotes
Alliston, ON
So in reality you don't know the actual savings for just the security system. A large part if the savings is the reduced value, and it could only be 10-20$/month savings for the security
Member
May 1, 2007
327 posts
134 upvotes
Toronto
schade wrote: So in reality you don't know the actual savings for just the security system. A large part if the savings is the reduced value, and it could only be 10-20$/month savings for the security
This.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 23, 2014
1927 posts
561 upvotes
Toronto, ON
schade wrote: So in reality you don't know the actual savings for just the security system. A large part if the savings is the reduced value, and it could only be 10-20$/month savings for the security
I will say it is 50/50 and many home insurance offers at least 20% discount for residences that have a centrally monitored system. The water leak sensors also offers additional discount since other than natural disasters, water damage through leaks is another most common claim against home insurance.
Mining & Workstation EPYC 7702 64 Core & Dual 3950x Rigs | ASUS STRIX RTX 3090 OC | 3X NEC PA301W | 64GB DDR4 ECC |5 TB Samsung NVMe Storage
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jun 9, 2003
24797 posts
1910 upvotes
Markham, ON
traderjay wrote: Long story short, when I first got the place in 2014, we had to take on a mortgage that is close to 10X our annual income and by using the first house (now a rental) as a collateral, the lender was able to approve our mortgage on the condition that the replacement cost on the insurance coverage is higher than what we purchased the property for, even higher than the appraised value. This is fair for the lender since they are taking a risk giving us the loan :)

Fast forward 16 months, we were able to pay off quite a bit of the original mortgage and the lender agreed to allow us to lower the coverage amount and in addition to the security system we were able to renegotiate the rate down the about $1500/month.



The house is in the Markham area and is about 4000 square feet (custom built) + but the lot is almost 2.5X the size of the house footage. As for the price of the place, lets just say I pulled the trigger on the right place at the right time (like stock trading) in a low season (late fall 2014) and has appreciated by about $40K to $50K on a month to month basis since purchase :)
not sure the insurance company cares about lot size...more importantly the sqft on the home. I pay $532 (Gold Package) for 2000sqft...so im not sure why you're paying 1400$...and still think it's a deal.

Im also in markham...and with TDMM



(btw...im not sure anywhere in markham is consider high risk for floods either)


I hope you're not a rogers sales person :lol:
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 23, 2014
1927 posts
561 upvotes
Toronto, ON
thelefteyeguy wrote: not sure the insurance company cares about lot size...more importantly the sqft on the home. I pay $532 (Gold Package) for 2000sqft...so im not sure why you're paying 1400$...and still think it's a deal.

Im also in markham...and with TDMM



(btw...im not sure anywhere in markham is consider high risk for floods either)


I hope you're not a rogers sales person :lol:
I am in no way related to Rogers in any shape or form lol. I feel that if the service is good, they are worth mentioning and spreading. As for the insurance price, it is directly correlated to the value of the property so that will explain the discrepancy in price. Since my current place is a custom built therefore the premium is higher.

As for the water sensor, it is not meant for flood, but rather damages caused by your typical unnoticed leaks such as dishwasher and washing machine or burst pipe here and there. Lets say you are on vacation and the second floor springs a leak, if unchecked your first floor and finished basement will be completely ruined. The last thing I am adding to the home system is an auto shutoff to the main water valve should any of the sensors be triggered.
Mining & Workstation EPYC 7702 64 Core & Dual 3950x Rigs | ASUS STRIX RTX 3090 OC | 3X NEC PA301W | 64GB DDR4 ECC |5 TB Samsung NVMe Storage
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jun 9, 2003
24797 posts
1910 upvotes
Markham, ON
traderjay wrote: I am in no way related to Rogers in any shape or form lol. I feel that if the service is good, they are worth mentioning and spreading. As for the insurance price, it is directly correlated to the value of the property so that will explain the discrepancy in price. Since my current place is a custom built therefore the premium is higher.

As for the water sensor, it is not meant for flood, but rather damages caused by your typical unnoticed leaks such as dishwasher and washing machine or burst pipe here and there. Lets say you are on vacation and the second floor springs a leak, if unchecked your first floor and finished basement will be completely ruined. The last thing I am adding to the home system is an auto shutoff to the main water valve should any of the sensors be triggered.
if you think the insurance policy is connected to the value of the property...then you're just personally justifying the price of the insurance to make you feel better :D
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 23, 2014
1927 posts
561 upvotes
Toronto, ON
thelefteyeguy wrote: if you think the insurance policy is connected to the value of the property...then you're just personally justifying the price of the insurance to make you feel better :D
Not the value to the specific since it includes the land as that does need replacement but rather the replacement cost of the house itself. If there are ways I can save more do share because I would love to negotiate a better deal!
Mining & Workstation EPYC 7702 64 Core & Dual 3950x Rigs | ASUS STRIX RTX 3090 OC | 3X NEC PA301W | 64GB DDR4 ECC |5 TB Samsung NVMe Storage
Member
Sep 19, 2014
457 posts
234 upvotes
Markham, ON
wtf $2K for insurance?

I am paying full $600 for full coverage for a 3000sf house in Richmond Hill....
And I don't even have an alarm system...

I guess insurance is significantly more in flood prone area...?
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jun 9, 2003
24797 posts
1910 upvotes
Markham, ON
traderjay wrote: Not the value to the specific since it includes the land as that does need replacement but rather the replacement cost of the house itself. If there are ways I can save more do share because I would love to negotiate a better deal!
I don't want to burst your bubble as you seem perfectly happy paying $1400 for home insurance in Markham...

as I said...i quoted who I deal with..TDMM...i have 1 car for a combo discount and also with my membership CPA but was told that the discount is the same for being a UofT alumni. Just call them and get a quote...
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jun 9, 2003
24797 posts
1910 upvotes
Markham, ON
blackn54 wrote: wtf $2K for insurance?

I am paying full $600 for full coverage for a 3000sf house in Richmond Hill....
And I don't even have an alarm system...

I guess insurance is significantly more in flood prone area...?
there is no flood prone area in Markham....it's has once of the best rain water infrastructure in all of the GTA.
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2015
2860 posts
778 upvotes
Toronto, ON
traderjay wrote: Long story short, I was paying $2000+ annually on my home insurance and after installing Rogers Home monitoring I was able to negotiate the rate down by $600/year. Very pleased with the alarm install as the rogers kit basically utilize my existing DSC system, hardwired sensors and control pad. Included with the package is their own touchscreen which is much easier to use than the DSC pad and can be positioned anywhere in the house. The install cost is free as my house is pre-wired and the monthly fee is $19.99 for broadband and GSM wireless monitoring. From my understanding, this is a very good rate for centrally monitoring dual network system, whereby other vendors charges much more for GSM connection.

Not bad of a deal considering the annual premium saved far exceeds the monitoring cost! If you guys have any question feel free to ask!

For my install, the following was provided with no additional cost:

- Rogers Touchscreen control with GSM SIM
- Netgear router for broadband monitoring
- LG Smart Connected LED Light bulb
- Free replacement lead acid battery for the DSC panel box
LOL that's so wrong. This guy doesn't know what he's talking about.

My home insurance only went $20 cheaper with home security alarm. I'm with TD Meloche Monnex. Same as my other family members.

$2000 on home insurance? Do you have gold bars in there? IS your home 20,000 sq ft with tennis court and bowling alley? Your car insurance is probably combined with your home insurance LOL. If you're pay $2000 and your home is 2000 sq ft, than youre getting scammed.

Top