• Last Updated:
  • Jul 26th, 2020 4:41 am
[OP]
Jan 24, 2008
817 posts
68 upvotes

Saving landline #

My parents have had a Rogers landline/internet/TV bundle with Rogers in Toronto for the past... almost 2 decades, I think! But they're now moving. We want to keep their landline # though, cancel the Rogers service, and maybe sign up for a cheaper internet option out there (for the person moving in).

I heard about some people porting their landlien number to Google voice. Not sure it works in Canada though.

Anyone knows what my options are to save the phone #? And any recommendations on a reliable ISP (might only be needed for 2-3 months though).

Thanks
25 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
18830 posts
6022 upvotes
Toronto
Don't cancel the landline, just port it out to a new carrier.

You can port to VoIP.ms, Speak out, or a another cell company.

It's not possible to port a Canadian number up Google.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 5, 2006
8085 posts
5077 upvotes
Global Village
I have and recommend Surf cable 5 Internet and Ooma home phone, $25 per month for both and they work great. Like audit13 said do not cancel the Rogers home phone service until after you have both internet and phone service installed and the phone # is ported.
All day I dream about sports

My Banks: Tangerine, Meridian, EQ Bank, Simplii
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2014
1183 posts
2097 upvotes
0 downvotes (Maple,O…
I too would recommend porting to www.voip.ms. You have a ton of options with them and is cheap as hell. Been with them for 10+ years and have nothing to complain about.
[OP]
Jan 24, 2008
817 posts
68 upvotes
Gee wrote: Does anyone use the landline? Don’t your parents have cell phones?
That wasn't the issue/question :)

But, now that we're here... can you port a landline # to a cell phone? Just curious.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2003
2000 posts
342 upvotes
COU
I'm subscribing to this thread. I have an old landline that I am paying $50 or whatever for a month that I have pretty well depreciated.

I like the number though, and there are still a few old clients and businesses that have it.

I think there was an offer to get a second line on Freedom mobile for $10 or something and I was going to see if I could port it to that.

Regardless, more pressing concerns as I downsize after retirement but I see a few options here already that could do.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
12915 posts
4521 upvotes
Ontario
My parents used to pay bell $50+/month for a landline a few years ago I switched them to Teksavvy Home Phone which is a regular POTS landline like bell provides but for $30/month. Now on their website Teksavvy no longer provides regular home phone because of some limitations and bell crying as usual. But I know in the past they were able to transfer some lines over (they are limited to how many) So you could email them and ask, they may be able to do it for you.
Riffer wrote: I'm subscribing to this thread. I have an old landline that I am paying $50 or whatever for a month that I have pretty well depreciated.

I like the number though, and there are still a few old clients and businesses that have it.

I think there was an offer to get a second line on Freedom mobile for $10 or something and I was going to see if I could port it to that.

Regardless, more pressing concerns as I downsize after retirement but I see a few options here already that could do.
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2005
1650 posts
1674 upvotes
Markham, ON
eednapes wrote: My parents have had a Rogers landline/internet/TV bundle with Rogers in Toronto for the past... almost 2 decades, I think! But they're now moving. We want to keep their landline # though, cancel the Rogers service, and maybe sign up for a cheaper internet option out there (for the person moving in).

I heard about some people porting their landlien number to Google voice. Not sure it works in Canada though.

Anyone knows what my options are to save the phone #? And any recommendations on a reliable ISP (might only be needed for 2-3 months though).

Thanks
Download the FONGO app, port your # over to FONGO;
Forward the number to a cell phone, or you can use the FONGO app to receive calls.
No monthly fees, just the initial port-in fees ($25 + tax)
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28883 posts
14418 upvotes
Gee wrote: Yes you can port almost any number to a cell phone.
Side question: Has anyone tried porting a toll free number to a cell phone?
I kind of want to try it now....
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Jun 9, 2012
470 posts
318 upvotes
Vancouver
I suggest going for freephoneline.ca. It gives you SIP credentials and free calling to most areas.
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2012
3204 posts
985 upvotes
Toronto
Freephoneline.ca
Just buy the device, service and port your number. There are no payments after, unless you want to call internationally.
¯\_(・_・)_/¯
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2004
1085 posts
1924 upvotes
Ontario
Do you plan on having much use of this number, or just hanging onto it for now?

You can port into Signalwire for free and it's $0.08USD/month to keep the number active. By far the cheapest option. Even if you do want to casually call or text from it but not enough to justify a monthly VoIP plan, it's still one of the cheapest.
[OP]
Jan 24, 2008
817 posts
68 upvotes
mindabsence wrote: Do you plan on having much use of this number, or just hanging onto it for now?

You can port into Signalwire for free and it's $0.08USD/month to keep the number active. By far the cheapest option. Even if you do want to casually call or text from it but not enough to justify a monthly VoIP plan, it's still one of the cheapest.
After some thinking, we would like to keep this landline #, maybe port it to a cell phone or something, but it should be active for a cheap price and the only think we want, for now, is voicemail. We'll occassionally call in to check the voicemail inbox. That's all. Next year, we might start using it again, but not for the next 12 months.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2004
1085 posts
1924 upvotes
Ontario
eednapes wrote: After some thinking, we would like to keep this landline #, maybe port it to a cell phone or something, but it should be active for a cheap price and the only think we want, for now, is voicemail. We'll occassionally call in to check the voicemail inbox. That's all. Next year, we might start using it again, but not for the next 12 months.
I would definitely say to check out signalwire then - you could just set the number to call forward to another number rather than remembering to check voicemail all the time too (I do this for an old number I'm holding onto for future use). There isn't a cheaper way based on my own research (as someone doing exactly what you wanted to do with a number of my own). You only pay for the minutes you use, so if no one calls it that month, you won't pay a dime for forwarding and only the $0.08 to keep the number active. Per minute calls are fractions of pennies. I have a thread about signalwire here, some others have shared some setup ideas too. I'm not affiliated with them - just someone who is obsessed with low communication costs for myself haha
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
9006 posts
2973 upvotes
Toronto
eednapes wrote: ...
But, now that we're here... can you port a landline # to a cell phone? Just curious.
Yes. I have stored numbers on voip.ms and then ported them to cellphones. I have also ported cellphone numbers to voip.ms and later to landlines.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
12753 posts
2841 upvotes
Toronto
My parents just did it. With one of those alternative providers.

You need to just contact the new company and they'll tell you when the earliest they can set you up. Then call rogers and cancel. Remember, they're going to try to dissuade you. You need to get a transaction number and effective date. Then contact back the new company with that information. They'll take care of the number porting. There might be a day or so where the number is down as you'll need the new VOIP service to kick in with the new internet if it's the same provider and using that modem/router.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
35797 posts
9141 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
death_hawk wrote: Side question: Has anyone tried porting a toll free number to a cell phone?
I kind of want to try it now....
Can’t port toll free numbers. Toll free numbers are not terminated. They are virtual numbers that typically get forwarded to a local number.

You usually pay per minute for toll free because it is reverse long distance.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28883 posts
14418 upvotes
Gee wrote: Can’t port toll free numbers. Toll free numbers are not terminated. They are virtual numbers that typically get forwarded to a local number.

You usually pay per minute for toll free because it is reverse long distance.
For some reason I vaguely remember asking Telus for a Toll Free years ago and they said they could do it natively (on mobile obviously)
Obviously you can forward your way in which is what I typically did when I wasn't on VoIP.

And yeah I have a bunch of toll frees. It's not cheap, but it was nice giving out a toll free back in the day.
Oddly enough I never thought you could SMS to a toll free, but Home Depot (for some reason) has unique toll frees at each location for curbside pickup.

Even Twilio couldn't do SMS via Toll Free back in the day but a quick look says they are able to now.

EDIT: Hmm.
Now that voip.ms is charging for SMS, I should move to Twilio and get a toll free. $0.0075/message in and out.
And for some reason short codes are cheaper per message but obviously MUCH more per month.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)