• Nov 17th, 2021 2:19 pm
[OP]
Sep 3, 2006
551 posts
154 upvotes
GTA Ontario

Saving pictures from .jpeg degradation, while saving again

Hi,

having thousands of pics in .jpeg I am a bit of worry of their quality, after moving them between different folders and saving them too many times, till I read of a fact, pictures saved in .jpeg lose a bit of quality every time we save them again.

Q: Is there a program that one can transfer all pics into a new format that will not diminish pics quality?
Any program that will do it automatically?

Any article about that problem would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
5 replies
Deal Addict
May 5, 2010
1530 posts
880 upvotes
When you said “after moving them between different folders and saving them too many times”, do you mean moving the jpeg from say the Desktop Folder to another location?

If so, you don't have to worry, moving files around does not affect the files in any way.

Jpeg compresses files only at the moment of saving from an editing software (Photoshop, Lightroom, etc) or a camera/phone. If you want to retain loseless files during savings, try Tiff or EPS. Both are much heavier.

FYI, if all you have is jpeg, the compression is already done, there's no need to convert them into a loseless format, because it won't improve anything. It is like if you add water to your whisky, there's no going back to the way it was.
[OP]
Sep 3, 2006
551 posts
154 upvotes
GTA Ontario
Sorry for late respond.
Yes I was moving them from one folder to another, or to different portable disc drive (trying to organize them).
So, you saying it one is moving them around, then the file size/quality will remain the same?
Yes, sometimes I "edited" them, later I just kept the original in a separate folder.

Thanks for responding.
Deal Addict
May 5, 2010
1530 posts
880 upvotes
Yes, moving the files around will keep the file size and quality the same.

To keep it simple, anything your OS does will not affect your jpg files or any other kinds of files in any way. Meaning: moving, copying, renaming, adding tag, etc

The only way to affect it is to open it with a software and saving it.
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2005
1140 posts
163 upvotes
The only concern you could have is corruption of data during the copy process. Rare, but it happens.

I use Teracopy to deal with my OCD when it comes to this.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 16, 2006
5053 posts
2043 upvotes
Vancouver
Oddly enough, I have found during the process of incremental backups that files often do change, though they have been untouched by direct editing.

I use the software "Beyond Compare 4" to make backups to removable drives. It first compares files in folders on my PC drive to the same backed up files on removable hard drives. There are several different parameters that BC4 can use to check for changes and for some reason, even with most of the parameters not enabled, files get listed by BC4 as having a change.

I suspect that I've viewed some of these and maybe started an image edit but cancelled. Others, such as Word documents that have been opened and closed after not viewing them for several years, may get saved to the latest encoding Microsoft implements in their Word documents changing their size. BC4 has the function of being able to open and compare visually your images by highlighting the changed area. I don't often use this function but on the occasion that I have, I typically find is that I have cropped an image and saved it with the same name.

BC4 has a fully functional 30 day trial which gives you 30 separate days that you can open and close the app so you might actually end up using it for a year or more before the trial is expired.

If anything, you can test it's functionality for detecting changes to a file.

https://scootersoftware.com/download.php

Rules Tab: