Savings analysis of Ductless vs Baseboard

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 8th, 2019 5:07 am
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
kryton619 wrote: It ended up costing me about $2,500 - $2,600 by the time I purchased a breaker for the panel, a disconnect to install near the outdoor unit, wire, plus the items that I listed above.

Are you planning on installing a dual zone unit? (Two indoor units connected to one outdoor unit)
I meant how much was the vacuum and gauges? I am not sure if I’m doing 2 to 1 or just two single units as those seem to be cheaper.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
7407 posts
2998 upvotes
Whitby
Did you look at mini splits with pre charged lines Jerico? If you can get the required minimum 10' line runs to work, no loops, might save some cash/time. I know LG has pre-charged units but wouldn't be my choice, check reviews of Mitsubishi and Daikin.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
Zamboni wrote: Did you look at mini splits with pre charged lines Jerico? If you can get the required minimum 10' line runs to work, no loops, might save some cash/time. I know LG has pre-charged units but wouldn't be my choice, check reviews of Mitsubishi and Daikin.
My buddies uncle (old school Hvac) said even the pre-charged have oil in them and not vacuuming them could reduce compressor life.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2008
2249 posts
858 upvotes
Minden
All mini splits are pre charged with the refrigerant stored in the outdoor unit and when everything is all hooked up you release it into the lines. All those types have to be vacuumed to remove moisture from inside the lines. The only units that I know of that you don't have to vacuum are Mr. Cool units. For some of their DIY mini splits the lines are actually pre-charged, so they were vacuumed and charged in the factory.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
kryton619 wrote: All mini splits are pre charged with the refrigerant stored in the outdoor unit and when everything is all hooked up you release it into the lines. All those types have to be vacuumed to remove moisture from inside the lines. The only units that I know of that you don't have to vacuum are Mr. Cool units. For some of their DIY mini splits the lines are actually pre-charged, so they were vacuumed and charged in the factory.
For $230 that is totally worth it. Too bad that pump you linked is out of stock. I would prefer to not have to do both rooms at once at the cottage, and if I can vacuum myself I wont have too. The smaller 12k BTU units that run on 120v are more than enough for our purposes, and easier to wire as both rooms have a single dedicated plug we use for the portable AC units that I would wire into and make them dedicated lines. Its a chalet style cottage and on the 2nd floor, but its old and has been added onto so the indoor units ideal locations are 48 feet apart. It would be quite the PITA to run copper and communications wire from opposite ends back to a central unit. Plus in the one room quite honestly (my brothers room, screw him :) I want to swap the window for something better first.

How far can you run the coolant lines inside? I’ve never done it that isnt a direct connection to outside but I could solve some of the double unit thing.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2008
2249 posts
858 upvotes
Minden
Jerico wrote: For $230 that is totally worth it. Too bad that pump you linked is out of stock. I would prefer to not have to do both rooms at once at the cottage, and if I can vacuum myself I wont have too. The smaller 12k BTU units that run on 120v are more than enough for our purposes, and easier to wire as both rooms have a single dedicated plug we use for the portable AC units that I would wire into and make them dedicated lines. Its a chalet style cottage and on the 2nd floor, but its old and has been added onto so the indoor units ideal locations are 48 feet apart. It would be quite the PITA to run copper and communications wire from opposite ends back to a central unit. Plus in the one room quite honestly (my brothers room, screw him :) I want to swap the window for something better first.

How far can you run the coolant lines inside? I’ve never done it that isnt a direct connection to outside but I could solve some of the double unit thing.
I think that all these things are made in the same Chinese factory. Just pick another one like this https://www.amazon.ca/Flexzion-Electric ... 41&sr=8-14
I would never purchase something like this if it was my full time job, you would obviously want something that was going to last, but for doing a few mini splits, this will work perfectly fine.

The Senville units come charged with enough refrigerant for a 25 foot lineset. The power is connected to the outdoor unit, not the indoor, so the inside plug won't work. You also have to install a disconnect switch, to meet code requirements and that has to be installed beside the outdoor unit. I picked one up at the Home Hardware up north...but you can order from Amazon. https://www.amazon.ca/Siemens-WN2060U-N ... 162&sr=8-2

I installed the outdoor unit beneath a raised deck and put the disconnect up high away from the rain.

Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
kryton619 wrote: I think that all these things are made in the same Chinese factory. Just pick another one like this https://www.amazon.ca/Flexzion-Electric ... 41&sr=8-14
I would never purchase something like this if it was my full time job, you would obviously want something that was going to last, but for doing a few mini splits, this will work perfectly fine.

The Senville units come charged with enough refrigerant for a 25 foot lineset. The power is connected to the outdoor unit, not the indoor, so the inside plug won't work. You also have to install a disconnect switch, to meet code requirements and that has to be installed beside the outdoor unit. I picked one up at the Home Hardware up north...but you can order from Amazon. https://www.amazon.ca/Siemens-WN2060U-N ... 162&sr=8-2

I installed the outdoor unit beneath a raised deck and put the disconnect up high away from the rain.
I have a small deck to nowhere with a 4 foot overhand outside my bedroom facing the lake and I was going to place the outdoor unit right there. For my brothers room, I was also going to put the outdoor unit up high under the eaves so the plugs would be reversed to be outside and power the outdoor units.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
7407 posts
2998 upvotes
Whitby
kryton619 wrote: All mini splits are pre charged with the refrigerant stored in the outdoor unit and when everything is all hooked up you release it into the lines. All those types have to be vacuumed to remove moisture from inside the lines. The only units that I know of that you don't have to vacuum are Mr. Cool units. For some of their DIY mini splits the lines are actually pre-charged, so they were vacuumed and charged in the factory.
Yeah I mentioned pre-charged lines. LG also has some.

I guess buying equipment to install units could pay off with one install for a neighbours cottage.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
7407 posts
2998 upvotes
Whitby
I recall you're also a woodworker Jerico....once you install the mini splits that vacuum pump might be strong enough for a glue up bag.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2008
2249 posts
858 upvotes
Minden
Zamboni wrote: Yeah I mentioned pre-charged lines. LG also has some.

I guess buying equipment to install units could pay off with one install for a neighbours cottage.
Send me a link showing a LG mini split with pre charged lines please.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
Zamboni wrote: Yeah I mentioned pre-charged lines. LG also has some.

There is a zero percent chance I could get an HVAC guy out at the cottage for under $250 to do this. Was $150 in Paris and this town is CHEAP.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
Zamboni wrote: I recall you're also a woodworker Jerico....once you install the mini splits that vacuum pump might be strong enough for a glue up bag.
It would be less expensive than running either dust collector...
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
7407 posts
2998 upvotes
Whitby
Jerico wrote: There is a zero percent chance I could get an HVAC guy out at the cottage for under $250 to do this. Was $150 in Paris and this town is CHEAP.
I meant you could recoup the equipment cost if a neighbour was installing a mini split.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
Zamboni wrote: I meant you could recoup the equipment cost if a neighbour was installing a mini split.
I would have gotten my money out of it doing my buddies and eventually mine. I swear all I saw were $500 pumps though. We paid $150 for his, i will need to do mine at the cottage which will be nearly impossible (all contractors up there are tied up with building huge cottages) plus I have a fancy ice maker up there that I could vacuum and recharge myself with gauges, a Vac, and then could borrow a bottle from my licensed buddy.

I’m glad we spoke @kryton619
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2008
2249 posts
858 upvotes
Minden
I watched this video prior to installing mine. You may want to make note of it and watch prior to installing your mini split.

Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2008
2945 posts
3014 upvotes
Montréal
So is the payback obvious for these units vs baseboard?
Mar 25, 2015
360 posts
132 upvotes
where fire and disco…
thesubmitter wrote: So is the payback obvious for these units vs baseboard?
here is a study from the pacific northwest:
sfh savings of 3978kwh/year (say you pay ~$0.10/kwh, that equals a savings of $397.80/year)
the sample size was small for the study, but it at least gives you some numbers
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.
Thomas Jefferson
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2017
10216 posts
5529 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
rainingdiscountedfire wrote: here is a study from the pacific northwest:
Probably a lot milder there than in even most of SW BC however. ~ 46N there vs 49N for almost all of BC.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)