• May 13th, 2019 7:27 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3840 upvotes

savings and TFSA

Just to confirm, would a savings account and TFSA savings account be considered separate under CDIC 100k's if they are at the same financial institution and under the same name? So do I have 100k insured or up to 200k?

I know about joint accounts being considered different at the same institution but not sure about registered/non registered
9 replies
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
14081 posts
11731 upvotes
Not Leask
TFSA can't be joint. My limited understanding is one user/debit card/login to many accounts, and the balances of those accounts under a single login would pool under one CDIC coverage.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Feb 9, 2018
420 posts
305 upvotes
Messerschmitt wrote: Just to confirm, would a savings account and TFSA savings account be considered separate under CDIC 100k's if they are at the same financial institution and under the same name? So do I have 100k insured or up to 200k?

I know about joint accounts being considered different at the same institution but not sure about registered/non registered
Technically an individual has up to 500K covered with same institution as long as you have a max of 100K in chequing/saving/any unregistered saving (this is one account category so combined across these accounts 100K max covered) and another 100K covered in your TFSA savings/gic account + another 100K covered in your RRSP saving/gic account + another 100K covered in non-reg joint savings account with spouse + another 100K in RRIF. So yes, you are right. Reg and non-reg are different categories of deposits so you have separate coverage.

Here is a deposit insurance estimator from CDIC website to play with:
https://www.cdic.ca/about-deposit-insur ... estimator/
Feb 9, 2018
420 posts
305 upvotes
Forgot to mention that max term should be less than 5 years for a term deposit like GIC to be eligible.
[OP]
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3840 upvotes
sunbat wrote: Technically an individual has up to 500K covered with same institution as long as you have a max of 100K in chequing/saving/any unregistered saving (this is one account category so combined across these accounts 100K max covered) and another 100K covered in your TFSA savings/gic account + another 100K covered in your RRSP saving/gic account + another 100K covered in non-reg joint savings account with spouse + another 100K in RRIF. So yes, you are right. Reg and non-reg are different categories of deposits so you have separate coverage.

Here is a deposit insurance estimator from CDIC website to play with:
https://www.cdic.ca/about-deposit-insur ... estimator/
Ok thanks, so non registered account (ex. Savings) is separate to registered account (ex. TFSA HISA, GIC, etc) right? Therefore I should have 100k insured for each non registered HISA (100k) and TFSA HISA (100k) with the same institution under my name for a total of 200k?
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2007
3976 posts
1638 upvotes
Quebec
With the recent manulife promo, i have read alot of people concern about that insurance up to 100k...but did anybody ever see someone actually claim it or use it? I understand its an insurance and everything but, like any insurance they goal is too make money and not pay(or pay less as possible) when there is any claim.

Why this insurance make you all think its safer? I mean, unless you put your money in somekind of weird or sketchy bank, i don't think there is anything to worrie, even more than 100k. Maybe i am wrong, is someone care to explain?
Feb 9, 2018
420 posts
305 upvotes
Messerschmitt wrote: Ok thanks, so non registered account (ex. Savings) is separate to registered account (ex. TFSA HISA, GIC, etc) right? Therefore I should have 100k insured for each non registered HISA (100k) and TFSA HISA (100k) with the same institution under my name for a total of 200k?
Yes, that's correct.
Feb 9, 2018
420 posts
305 upvotes
HyperTech wrote: With the recent manulife promo, i have read alot of people concern about that insurance up to 100k...but did anybody ever see someone actually claim it or use it? I understand its an insurance and everything but, like any insurance they goal is too make money and not pay(or pay less as possible) when there is any claim.

Why this insurance make you all think its safer? I mean, unless you put your money in somekind of weird or sketchy bank, i don't think there is anything to worrie, even more than 100k. Maybe i am wrong, is someone care to explain?
CDIC is a federal crown corporation so a part of government of Canada similar to CMHC. You dont have to apply for this insurance and you dont need to file a claim in case institution goes under. As long as you have eligible deposits and upto the limit of coverage, you will be made whole. There have been 43 failures since CDIC was created by parliament act in 1967. Last institution failure was in 1996. So you are right. Banks dont go under every day but it has happened in past.

https://www.cdic.ca/about-us/our-histor ... -failures/
Deal Addict
May 16, 2017
1561 posts
1964 upvotes
HyperTech wrote:

Insurance is just one aspect of government regulation of banks that makes the creation of a "weird or sketchy bank" highly improbable in Canada. There are other than "bank" deposit-taking financial institutions that are very slightly less solid (Credit Unions, etc) but unless you have a vast fortune, the chances of any Canadian-based financial institution going under and NOT having insurance cover the deposits are extremely slim and historically beyond rare.

Both banks and credit unions have insurance schemes, neither of which are profit-making.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2006
1677 posts
1227 upvotes
Toronto
sunbat wrote: Forgot to mention that max term should be less than 5 years for a term deposit like GIC to be eligible.
I think with the upcoming changes in April 30,2020 there will be 8 categories or 800,000 possible coverage in one FI:

1) Deposits held in one name (individual)
2) Deposits held in more than one name
(co-owned deposits1, previously
referred to as “joint” deposits)
3) Deposits held in trust for another
person (trust deposits)
4) Deposits held in Registered Retirement
Savings Plans (RRSPs)
5) Deposits held in Registered Retirement
Income Funds (RRIFs)
6) Deposits held in Tax-free Savings
Accounts (TFSAs)
7) Deposits held in Registered Education
Savings Plans (RESPs) [New]
8) Deposits held in Registered Disability
Saving Plans (RDSPs) [New]

Also, in April 2020 there will be CDIC coverage for foreign currency deposits and the 5 yr GIC limit will be eliminated/