• Jul 5th, 2006 10:13 am
Tags:
None
Apr 12, 2006
163 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Savy Buffet

I have just found this deal in http://www.redtoronto.com. No connection with the restaurant and/or owner. Here is its ad:

Savy Buffet, located at 1468 Victoria Park Avenue, Unit 1-3 at Rear in North York is the newest Buffet location with over 60 items available for lunch and dinner. Our food is affordable ($6.99 for lunch and $8.99 for dinner) and the atmosphere is unbelievable, you have to see it to believe it! Grand opening May 26th, 2006.

1468 Victoria Park Avenue, Unit 1-3 at Rear (South of Eglinton),
North York, ON M4A 2M2
647-836-7831 (it's voice mail)

Grand Opening: 6:00pm, Friday, May 26th, 2006
Grand Opening Special $4.99 Dinner Buffet

The restaurant's website is still under construction. Can't get hold of a real person by phone. Not too sure if the grand opening is still on. Looking for comments please!
19 replies
Banned
Jan 12, 2004
1465 posts
2 upvotes
mayfly wrote: Grand Opening: 6:00pm, Friday, May 26th, 2006
Grand Opening Special $4.99 Dinner Buffet
As far as deals go, thats pretty nutso..
☆The GTA's Finest All You Can Eat Sushi Reviews☆

☆美味しい☆美味しい☆
Deal Addict
May 10, 2005
1440 posts
1 upvote
That's basicly under $10 for buffet lunch with tax and tip...Too good to be true?
Mar 23, 2006
418 posts
5 upvotes
Certainly worth a try, and not too far from where I live either. I'll try to go to the grand opening before work tmr. Hopefully I can get a table.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2005
1299 posts
2 upvotes
Richmond Hill
if someone can verify this it would be great... i definately wnat to try it today
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2005
1299 posts
2 upvotes
Richmond Hill
ah ok called the number and someone actually answered...

the buffet is delayed till next friday due to construction, the lady told me that they serve western and chinese foods ..
Mar 23, 2006
418 posts
5 upvotes
Well, luckily I checked the forums. I was planning on calling them before going for dinner today but probably wasn't gonna to.
Apr 12, 2006
163 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Managed to speak to a gentleman, whom I believe is the owner, on the phone. He confirmed that the grand opening is now rescheduled to next Friday, June 2, 2006 at 6:00 p.m., rain or shine. The restaurant will have its website ready in a day or two: http://www.savybuffet.com. According to the gentleman, the food it is going to serve is rather assorted: some Chinese, some Western, some Indian and there will be something unique, i.e. different from other buffets. (Wait and see what you could have for under $10!)

I am going to keep it under the radar! :cool:
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2005
1299 posts
2 upvotes
Richmond Hill
anyone going this friday? i wonder if its going to be packed..
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2005
1299 posts
2 upvotes
Richmond Hill
well i called and confirmed that its grand opening will be 2morrow. the man answering was really nice, i asked i should come earlier and if there was going to be a lineup, he said "i hope so". heh.
Apr 12, 2006
163 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Just returned from the "Grand Opening". It's $4.99! Just for tonight. It is more out of curiousity than anything else. It is a rather small restaurant, probably seats 60-80. The cuisine (so are the waitpersons) is mostly East Indian/S. Asian, very few selections, okay quality and domestic cooking. Although the coupon (which was handed out at the restaurant for re-visiting discounts) says "60 real items", there are only about 30 items altogether and not replenishing fast enough, including:

Caesars salad, lamb curry, curry beef, curry baby shrimp, spicy crabs (frozen and very salty), grilled eggplant & tomato (which is delicious), a spinch & meat dish, stir-fry mixed vegetables, curry chicken, hot-dog sausage, deep-fried chicken wings, chicken nuggets, chow mien, a pasta dish, steamed rice, fried rice, roti, french fries, deep-fried fish, a few home made desserts and deep-fried items, jello, 4 flavours of ice cream, orange, catalope and water melon. Perhpas I have missed a few items that do not interest me at all but that's about it.

I have never been in and out of a AYCE place within 45 minutes. This is my first! The turnover is noticably quick as there are so few selections.

The renovation is definitely a DIY job. Fresh coat of paint (you can still smell it), new floor tiles, cheap furniture covered with white table clothes and chair covers (at least they are fabrics) and napkins, cheap cutlery, decent plates and wine glasses. It gives me a feeling of a dollar store banquet hall/restaurant. Friendly and amateur service, very small and crowded tables, uncomfortable seating. Also, watch for the steps!

If anyone is interested in trying it out, it is located on the west side of Victoria Park and south of Eglinton in a very old small retail complex, at the back of a Pizza Hut and across the street from the Bay. The entrance is at the back of the complex. You'll look for the sign at the front.

You just can't compare this one with any AYCE. For less than $10, if you expect fast food or food court quality, this may be a pleasant surprise, at least quantity wise!
Apr 12, 2006
163 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Iron Chef Ajax wrote:For $4.99 sounds like it is well worth it.
It will be $8.99 after tonight!
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2005
1299 posts
2 upvotes
Richmond Hill
yeah definately the fastest AYCE .. but i was in a hurry cause i had to be somewhere fast, and the place opened about half an hour late. i think i took 15 minutes .. i was the first one to pay the bill and leave. i didn't even get to try all the food because it was slowly coming out.

but from what i tried there is nothing special about the food, it mostly tastes homecooked. but it was worth 5 bucks.

i can't judge the place yet because as the person above said, it wasn't finished. the renovations were not close to being complete and we weren't able to taste all the foods. ill write a review later .. but for now, id wait a week or so till they get everything done.

... oh and the service was excellent.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2005
1299 posts
2 upvotes
Richmond Hill
has anyone been to this place since the opening? is all the construction done?

if you check their website dinner is now only $7.99 and lunch is $6.99, and if you mention to the server that you saw their online site you get 15% off.
Jun 13, 2006
1 posts
I went to the opening, it was good, i went around 8:30 place packed and food was good (come on, better than food court :) ).

going there on thursday, will report back
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2005
1299 posts
2 upvotes
Richmond Hill
i really really hate bringing this thread back from the dead but has anyone gone recently? has it improved? cause last time they still had renovations going and promised more food..

id check but i dont live that close..
Jan 11, 2006
53 posts
I second the motion for additional reviews.

I went for lunch a week after they opened. It had promise but was a fairly amateur job that early on - the place was almost empty, the food had been sitting out for awhile, and many dishes were too salty. They had crab, which was nice, but it also seemed like frozen crab and was very salty. The service was almost too attentive - I felt like I was having dinner at a relative's house.

More recent reviews would be appreciated.

Thanks!