• Jan 10th, 2018 9:47 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1382 posts
356 upvotes
Toronto

Saw blade for fine finish

I'm a bit confused which blade to buy for my 10" mitre saw. I need to cut four oak 3.5"x3.5" table legs which are stained and I need a nice fine cut that doesn't chip the wood.
I found these two but they are both fine finish and have different number of teeth. Will the cheaper blade do the job?
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.10-i ... 77972.html
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.10-i ... 77978.html
Last edited by DIrty-D on Jan 9th, 2018 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
14 replies
Sep 9, 2008
616 posts
124 upvotes
Mississauga
The D1060X which is 10". Second blade is 7 1/4".
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2016
1879 posts
899 upvotes
Err, the cheaper one is 7 inch, the more expensive one is 10 inch.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1382 posts
356 upvotes
Toronto
BlueSolstice wrote: Err, the cheaper one is 7 inch, the more expensive one is 10 inch.
Thanks fixed it
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
2345 posts
1322 upvotes
Alliston, ON
Wrap the wood in tape and it'll stop it from splintering, or put a 2x6 under the wood you are cutting so it cuts into that piece as well
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1382 posts
356 upvotes
Toronto
schade wrote: Wrap the wood in tape and it'll stop it from splintering, or put a 2x6 under the wood you are cutting so it cuts into that piece as well
Oh nice tip thanks. I will wrap it with green tape regardless but the 2x6 trick is a nice touch. This will raise the table leg though so it wont cause an issue with the cut?
Jan 11, 2017
124 posts
64 upvotes
the avanti 2 pack from depot is the best deal for 10" blades, it's almost cheaper to buy new ones rather than sharpening them too. If you don't want it to splinter use a tri square and knife the cut line all the way around the top of the leg.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
1959 posts
949 upvotes
London
schade wrote: Wrap the wood in tape and it'll stop it from splintering, or put a 2x6 under the wood you are cutting so it cuts into that piece as well
I was just about to post this, when I saw I was too late.
It does work though.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
2345 posts
1322 upvotes
Alliston, ON
DIrty-D wrote: Oh nice tip thanks. I will wrap it with green tape regardless but the 2x6 trick is a nice touch. This will raise the table leg though so it wont cause an issue with the cut?
You could use a scrap piece of plywood instead, or buy some zero clearance tape for the base of your saw. That would help a fair bit too
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
5222 posts
2600 upvotes
Ottawa
You've gotten good advice to reduce chip-out. The last piece is to move your blade slooowwwly through the wood - especially when you get to that last bottom corner facing you. If you've followed the above advice (tape, sacrificial piece of wood, scoring the line with a knife, zero-clearance tape) and you use a 60 tooth blade, you will have the end result you want.

Mitre saws are not used for ripping so a fine-toothed blade works best for the majority of projects we use them for - with the exception of deck building. And even then... My standard blade is an 80T 12" Avanti - more or less equivalent to your 60T 10". The Avanti is fine. I've had Freud before and it was quieter for sure but I wear hearing protection anyway...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1382 posts
356 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks everyone for the advice. I picked up the 2 pack of Avanti fine blades and they worked perfectly. I didn't score the wood, I only taped the legs where I made the cuts. The end result was awesome. No chips whatsoever!