Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2012
1584 posts
420 upvotes
ORLEANS

Saw some mice! What to do?

About 3 months ago, I saw my first small mice sleeping on my front door. I just took a shovel from the outside and pushed him onto the lawn. And that was it. Never noticed anymore until 2-3 days ago. I saw a mice on my front door upon coming home. It ran so fast into the weep hole. The hole left open on brick for ventilation and draining. I bought some of those stainless steel weep hole covers that will still allow drainage and ventilation. But no nice entry because holes are small small. Should I install the weep hole covers first and then start trapping mice or trap mice now with holes still open? There are no mice or droppings inside the home. But can mice access the attic through the weep holes in the brick of the front of home?
106 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2012
1584 posts
420 upvotes
ORLEANS
CaptSmethwick wrote: Trap first and then seal entry points
im afraid if i lay the trap outside, i will just trap the mouse from the outside, not the ones from inside the weep hole.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
5983 posts
3537 upvotes
Ottawa
Palidino wrote: im afraid if i lay the trap outside, i will just trap the mouse from the outside, not the ones from inside the weep hole.
Every trapped mouse is good. They are not finding food inside your exterior wall cavity so you will catch them when they come out to feed. Once your traps go a week or more without catching anything, you can seal the entry points - chances are that by then, every mouse that was inside has now been caught.

I bait traps with peanut butter and use reusable snap traps (like these). I place those inside a clear plastic lidded container into which I drill a 3/4" hole on one side, at ground level. The box keeps other animals away from the bait (I don't want to maim birds, frogs, or squirrels). I do this every year from late September to the spring.
Mar 14, 2018
466 posts
469 upvotes
I'm not an expert but maybe you could cover all the weep holes except the few near where you saw the mouse enter. Then lay a trap nearby. Hopefully the mouse hasn't made a maze inside yet so it gets out from the same hole and gets trapped.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2012
1584 posts
420 upvotes
ORLEANS
CaptSmethwick wrote: Every trapped mouse is good. They are not finding food inside your exterior wall cavity so you will catch them when they come out to feed. Once your traps go a week or more without catching anything, you can seal the entry points - chances are that by then, every mouse that was inside has now been caught.

I bait traps with peanut butter and use reusable snap traps (like these). I place those inside a clear plastic lidded container into which I drill a 3/4" hole on one side, at ground level. The box keeps other animals away from the bait (I don't want to maim birds, frogs, or squirrels). I do this every year from late September to the spring.
ok thanks, i will start trapping tonight. my weep hole covers are expected to arrive friday. is it possible for the mice to go into the attic from the weep holes in the front of the home?
clutch31 wrote: I'm not an expert but maybe you could cover all the weep holes except the few near where you saw the mouse enter. Then lay a trap nearby. Hopefully the mouse hasn't made a maze inside yet so it gets out from the same hole and gets trapped.
i would but still waiting for the weep hole covers. theres like 7 weep holes, but its just this one that wide and long. the others are a bit smaller in both width and length.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
22013 posts
8449 upvotes
Socially Distanced
Tape a plastic bag onto the weep hole and place a mouse trap in it.
You might want to do this for all weep holes and give it a few days or plug some and leave others open for mice to get into your traps.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2012
1584 posts
420 upvotes
ORLEANS
Just set 6 snap traps with peanut butter. Will see if any trigger or any catches in the morning. I tested one of the traps and it made me jump lol Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Tightly-closed Eyes. But it’s the plastic trap with dull teeth and removable bait cup. Are these strong enough to kill or keep them stuck until death? Or is the old style wooden board with metal rod that smacks them better?
May 26, 2020
30 posts
22 upvotes
I am always curious how you guys deal with the dead mice …. garbage bags?
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10615 posts
5920 upvotes
Paris
BDSL wrote: "Do not place dead animals in your Green Bin."

https://www.markham.ca/wps/portal/home/ ... age=506777
boyohboy wrote: interesting, so is beef a bit of a dead animal?
How intact does an animal have to be to be considered an animal? That’s the real question. Can I chop up my daughters goldfish when it dies? What about the Possum I caught? Intact, its an animal. In pieces put out over a few weeks, its leftovers?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
5983 posts
3537 upvotes
Ottawa
Palidino wrote: Just set 6 snap traps with peanut butter. Will see if any trigger or any catches in the morning. I tested one of the traps and it made me jump lol Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Tightly-closed Eyes. But it’s the plastic trap with dull teeth and removable bait cup. Are these strong enough to kill or keep them stuck until death? Or is the old style wooden board with metal rod that smacks them better?
The plastic snap traps are good - they are reusable (to a point) and deadly. I would often find the old wire/wood ones tripped with the bait missing whereas I never find that with the plastic snap versions. Conversely, I never found an injured but still alive mouse caught in the old fashioned traps but have had to deal with that more with the plastic variety. I've tried every type of trap on the market over the years and the ones I linked earlier have been my go-to ones for ~5 years now. I have moved on from the wire/wood traps for good.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
5983 posts
3537 upvotes
Ottawa
JC00000 wrote: I am always curious how you guys deal with the dead mice …. garbage bags?
I live in a forest so... the cadavers either decompose into the soil or are a snack for something inclined to eat carrion.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
5087 posts
4042 upvotes
Jerico wrote: How intact does an animal have to be to be considered an animal? That’s the real question. Can I chop up my daughters goldfish when it dies? What about the Possum I caught? Intact, its an animal. In pieces put out over a few weeks, its leftovers?
Why you killed a possum is the more pertinent question.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2012
1584 posts
420 upvotes
ORLEANS
Here’s the morning catch. 6 traps set around the area. Only 2 mice’s caught and killed. The other 4 traps never trigger. I remember 3 months ago the first mice I saw was dark brown/black. These ones are totally different colour. The 2 traps that triggered was right beside the weep hole/entrance. Study shows first night is the night you have the more mice caught. So does that mean I don’t have many mice in the hole?
Images
  • 7A144C7F-E1CE-4D5E-BE6F-3D8AF9CCA6C0.jpeg
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
2818 posts
1467 upvotes
Markham
Jerico wrote: How intact does an animal have to be to be considered an animal? That’s the real question. Can I chop up my daughters goldfish when it dies? What about the Possum I caught? Intact, its an animal. In pieces put out over a few weeks, its leftovers?
I didn't make the rules.
I remember looking this up when my dog killed a bunny.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
46068 posts
6560 upvotes
Richmond Hill
BDSL wrote: I didn't make the rules.
I remember looking this up when my dog killed a bunny.
Interesting, but I imagine this might be targeted more for larger animals like if your pet passed away? Can't imagine why a mouse would be any issue... :S

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)