• Last Updated:
  • Sep 28th, 2021 10:18 am
Tags:
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2008
1490 posts
765 upvotes
BDSL wrote: You are so right.

I have ordered a dozen of these insect killers.
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/flowtr ... lsrc=aw.ds

I am going to completely saturate my property with pesticide and put down a dozens of poison and spring traps.

And when an animal, bird, squirrel, rabbit, skunk, racoon, wild cat (they are all pest) comes onto my property, I will eliminate them all. None of them should exist. I am doing the world a favor. There is no impact to ecosystem at all.
Skunks are not pests - they eat mice. Rabbits are cute and they poop fertilizer (even though they carry rabbit fever). Birds are very very beneficial and wild cats too - they eat mice (but they also eat birds, so maybe a break even score). Wasps which you didn't mention and most people consider pests, are beneficial too. Squirrels ARE pests - Versace rats. But you see how absolutism makes you sound dumb. There are differences, you should understand and embrace them, instead of pretending everything is the same. That's just ignorant.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world... Those who understand binary and those who don't 💡
Mar 14, 2018
561 posts
576 upvotes
BDSL thinks all animals are equal but not all killing is equal. If you have a good reason and the killing is "humane", based on his standards of course, then it's ok. So he is not an absolutist after all, he just picks his own relativism to justify his actions.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
2901 posts
1619 upvotes
Markham
junkmail2002 wrote: Skunks are not pests - they eat mice. Rabbits are cute and they poop fertilizer (even though they carry rabbit fever). Birds are very very beneficial and wild cats too - they eat mice (but they also eat birds, so maybe a break even score). Wasps which you didn't mention and most people consider pests, are beneficial too. Squirrels ARE pests - Versace rats. But you see how absolutism makes you sound dumb. There are differences, you should understand and embrace them, instead of pretending everything is the same. That's just ignorant.
Skunk can have rabies. And they can damage your property. They can also spray your dogs/cats.
Birds can build nest in your exhaust plumbing or attic.
So ignorant.....
Dec 11, 2013
411 posts
321 upvotes
OK enough with the arguing! I'm here for Palidino's Catch of the Day. OP where are you?!? Smiling Face With Open Mouth
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2012
1618 posts
439 upvotes
ORLEANS
Here’s today’s update september 17. Had something very urgent to attend to. No mice today. But i set up my camera yesterday night at 11pm. And kept going in and out of the house until 2am yesterday night so maybe that affects the mice from coming out because of human smell? Idk. Last Thursday night/Friday morning was also no kills.

The orange circles indicate 3 more traps but can’t be seen on camera which are farther away from the weep hole. But those always have no kills. It’s only the 3 traps you can see on the picture that gets kills. Most being the 2 traps beside the weep hole.
Images
  • 143BE37A-EC17-4A34-85D9-DFC4CDA92807.jpeg
Mar 14, 2018
561 posts
576 upvotes
Didn't you have the farthest trap kill one before?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2012
1618 posts
439 upvotes
ORLEANS
clutch31 wrote: Didn't you have the farthest trap kill one before?
Yea it’s the trap beside the black bait station box. Not the farthest but second farthest. That was before I got the bait station box set up.

Seems like tonight, second night, no activity. It’s 7:50pm here now. Camera didn’t pick up any motion. But won’t know until this night is over. If second night no mice, I’m going to put the traps and bait station back into garage. But keep video recording for additional 4-5 days before I close up all the weep holes.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2012
1618 posts
439 upvotes
ORLEANS
September 18 update. Second day no mice activity/kills.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2012
1618 posts
439 upvotes
ORLEANS
September 18 update, said I would remove traps but I won’t be home Saturday night. Will be returning Sunday night. Traps will be removed Monday morning. So I put fresh peanut butter on the traps this morning.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
6020 posts
3576 upvotes
Ottawa
Rockymountain wrote: Would you mind showing with a photo about your "a clear plastic lidded container into which I drill a 3/4" hole on one side" ? Many thanks.

Dollar store box. 3/4" or 7/8" hole as close to the container's floor as possible.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2011
1179 posts
255 upvotes
OTTAWA
Thanks CaptSmethwick for photo showing how the trap is set. Thanked.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2012
1618 posts
439 upvotes
ORLEANS
September 19, seems like all the mice are dead. This is the 3rd night with no kills or sightings of mice. I will be home later tonight. Won’t be changing the peanut butter but will keep the traps there until Monday morning. Which will be removed. After Sunday night would be 4th night no kills/sightings. How much longer should I keep surveillance? Should plug up the weep holes soon.
Mar 14, 2018
561 posts
576 upvotes
Palidino wrote: September 19, seems like all the mice are dead. This is the 3rd night with no kills or sightings of mice. I will be home later tonight. Won’t be changing the peanut butter but will keep the traps there until Monday morning. Which will be removed. After Sunday night would be 4th night no kills/sightings. How much longer should I keep surveillance? Should plug up the weep holes soon.
I'd plug them and forget about it now. Sometimes I feel like this battle with mice is more of a mental game. Maybe one or two comes and goes but as long as there is no infestation and they don't enter your living area, it is what it is... And it's very HARD to seal every entry point.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
6020 posts
3576 upvotes
Ottawa
I'm trapping one or two each and every day and expect that rate to continue for the next couple of months. I don't down tools on my "perimeter defence" until I go two weeks without a kill.
Mar 14, 2018
561 posts
576 upvotes
So I spent quite a bit of time sealing all the entry points at least on the ground level. Today I saw a very small mouse in my side yard... a cute little guy lol. When I approached it, it tried to find a hole/crack along my house wall but couldn't get in anywhere. It ended up running across the side yard and under my neighbors deck... oh well haha
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15036 posts
9437 upvotes
Toronto
Well done OP. You are doing gods work. I've been snapping rats even without bait.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯