Home & Garden

Say bye to monthly alarm monitoring fee

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 6th, 2021 9:45 am
51 replies
Oct 16, 2007
790 posts
33 upvotes
Yes, i have it for a year. So far, so good.

Easy to install and i control it using my phone.
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
4704 posts
1386 upvotes
0 downvotes
Was looking to get the Safe by Hub6 but my alarm was NOT on the list of compatible alarm systems
Hi
Feb 22, 2008
130 posts
20 upvotes
Just pick this up 2 weeks ago. What I like over the EnvisaLink is that it has it's own build in wifi, no need for an additional ethernet or external wifi connector. It also has built in cellular connection if wifi is down included in the purchase price.

I picked it up at Bestbuy store on sale for $50 off.

Good article on it here from last year: https://www.digitaltrends.com/smart-hom ... b6-review/
Last edited by maasai on Dec 16th, 2020 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
8906 posts
695 upvotes
Agree. Not sure when did they start selling HUB6. If I knew, I wouldn't even install the GSM unit by alarm monitoring company and paying the monthly monitoring fee......

Anyway, when my existing contract is over, I will stop the pay service and switch to this. But then, I will have an useless GSM unit (existing one) connected to my system, and I will get notification from both the Envisalink and HUB6 Face With Tears Of Joy

By the way, I remember my GSM is only a 3G when they installed it several years ago. I wonder what network is HUB6 is using ? 4G ? Don't think it is 5G
maasai wrote: Just pick this up recently. What I like over the EnvisaLink is that it has it's own build in wifi, no need for an additional ethernet or external wifi connector. It also has built in cellular connection if wifi is down included in the purchase price.

I picked it up at Bestbuy store on sale for $50 off.

Good article on it here from last year: https://www.digitaltrends.com/smart-hom ... b6-review/
Feb 22, 2008
130 posts
20 upvotes
Company is local too, head office in Scarborough.
Aug 16, 2007
813 posts
67 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Wondering if I would still get a home insurance discount with this. Currently with TMC paying around $10/month.

This would be good to make my unit "smart" though..

edit - looking at at old thread and a response from someone from hub6

"Yes, you will still qualify for home insurance discount as we can provide alarm certificates for monitoring"

safe-hub6-sponsored-100-off-smart-home- ... 2236434/2/
Last edited by Askari on Dec 16th, 2020 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 13, 2019
193 posts
49 upvotes
Toronto
@OP I happened to scoop 1 up when it had a discount during Black Friday so if you're looking for 1 I'm sure they'll have something similar for Boxing Day hehe
boumbo wrote: Yes, i have it for a year. So far, so good.

Easy to install and i control it using my phone.
maasai wrote: Company is local too, head office in Scarborough.
Did you guys use the T clips? Or sneak the cables under the small screws?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
8906 posts
695 upvotes
Askari wrote: Wondering if I would still get a home insurance discount with this. Currently with TMC paying around $10/month.

I have the same question, I am keeping TMC monitoring system because the insurance discount was kind of offsetting it. I don't remember how much it is though, and I think it was only a few buck a month. However, since I had to drop the landline, and I had to install the GSM unit, paid $200 for the unit and additional monthly fee as well........ With this HUB6 GSM unit, I think I will drop the TMC when my prepay period over. TMC tricked me, I was prepaying a year to get a better discount. And when the prepay year finished, they didn't even notify me but just auto renewed one year !!! You know what all these alarm monitoring companies are trying to stay alive in this sunset business when more and more people are going to self monitoring.
Aug 16, 2007
813 posts
67 upvotes
Richmond Hill
rdx wrote: I have the same question, I am keeping TMC monitoring system because the insurance discount was kind of offsetting it. I don't remember how much it is though, and I think it was only a few buck a month. However, since I had to drop the landline, and I had to install the GSM unit, paid $200 for the unit and additional monthly fee as well........ With this HUB6 GSM unit, I think I will drop the TMC when my prepay period over. TMC tricked me, I was prepaying a year to get a better discount. And when the prepay year finished, they didn't even notify me but just auto renewed one year !!! You know what all these alarm monitoring companies are trying to stay alive in this sunset business when more and more people are going to self monitoring.
I switched my landline to Ooma in 2014 and haven't loooked back. TMC - $10 + Ooma $5, so $15/month. Has been prettly reliable, whenever the alarm goes off either smoke or door, TMC calls me within a minute.

I edited my above post referencing an old thread about insurance certificates. looks like its possible. But someone mentioned the discount might not be what you think it is. To be honest i havent looked at the discount recently. But i assumed if I paid TMC around $10/month I would save $10/month on insurnace might not be the case anymore..
Feb 22, 2008
130 posts
20 upvotes
timofeewho wrote: @OP I happened to scoop 1 up when it had a discount during Black Friday so if you're looking for 1 I'm sure they'll have something similar for Boxing Day hehe

Did you guys use the T clips? Or sneak the cables under the small screws?
I used the T clips (secured with pliers) and installed it by the alarm control panel in the basement. Worked well and out of sight.

The company does home monitoring of 10/mth (no long term contract if you just want it for a month while on vacation or something) https://www.hub6.io/hub6-safe-faq#what-is-on-demand
Nov 13, 2019
193 posts
49 upvotes
Toronto
maasai wrote: I used the T clips (secured with pliers) and installed it by the alarm control panel in the basement. Worked well and out of sight.

The company does home monitoring of 10/mth (no long term contract if you just want it for a month while on vacation or something) https://www.hub6.io/hub6-safe-faq#what-is-on-demand
I see, do you know if the T clips are removable? Say if I decide not to use it sometime down the road?
Feb 22, 2008
130 posts
20 upvotes
timofeewho wrote: I see, do you know if the T clips are removable? Say if I decide not to use it sometime down the road?

Yes I would think so, they are just clips that would "bite" through the wire coating. Unsnap them and put some electrical tape if you don't want the unit any longer. Or you can use the option connector wires and screw in with the existing wiring on the control panel if you have doubts about keeping it long term.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33517 posts
7147 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I wouldn’t consider WiFi a great feature. For an alarm, I much prefer ethernet for reliability.

I use Envisalink mainly because I can integrate it with my home automation.
Dec 29, 2004
396 posts
500 upvotes
We've had EnvisaLink for years, and are quite happy with it.

But including free LTE with this is a big, big differentiator.

What happens to my HUB6 Safe if my power or internet goes out?
Your HUB6 Safe comes with a built-in, no-fee LTE SIM card that kicks in if your power or internet goes down.
Note: The LTE SIM card is meant for backup emergency notifications and not for regular use. Units running on cellular will have limited functionality.
Oct 16, 2007
790 posts
33 upvotes
Askari wrote: Wondering if I would still get a home insurance discount with this. Currently with TMC paying around $10/month.

edit - looking at at old thread and a response from someone from hub6

"Yes, you will still qualify for home insurance discount as we can provide alarm certificates for monitoring"

safe-hub6-sponsored-100-off-smart-home- ... 2236434/2/
I am with TD MM and they gave me insurance discount. Self monitoring is eligible for the discount. (the discount is small though, it does not make a big difference :)
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33517 posts
7147 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
da_123 wrote: We've had EnvisaLink for years, and are quite happy with it.

But including free LTE with this is a big, big differentiator.
I just read through and watched some of the videos on the site. LTE is a big differentiation and also the ability to add your neighbours to the monitoring list

I still prefer the Envisalink, it is half the price and if I can add multiple users to to monitor. LTE is nice to have, but not necessary for me.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4286 posts
3716 upvotes
Toronto
I looked into this a bit when I first saw it in a Best Buy flyer earlier this year. IMHO, free LTE service won't be sustainable over the long term. I wouldn't be surprised if it's dropped or they start charging a monthly fee for LTE.
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
4704 posts
1386 upvotes
0 downvotes
Gee wrote: I just read through and watched some of the videos on the site. LTE is a big differentiation and also the ability to add your neighbours to the monitoring list

I still prefer the Envisalink, it is half the price and if I can add multiple users to to monitor. LTE is nice to have, but not necessary for me.
then use wifi
Hi
Aug 16, 2007
813 posts
67 upvotes
Richmond Hill
boumbo wrote: I am with TD MM and they gave me insurance discount. Self monitoring is eligible for the discount. (the discount is small though, it does not make a big difference :)
thanks. I've messaged allstate to see if they will allow it. Although, It looks like they've partnered up with Liberty security and offer 10% off.