Shopping Discussion

On a scale of 1 to 10... how bad is hoarding?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 20th, 2020 1:49 pm
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2011
5857 posts
1366 upvotes
GTA
moebius2 wrote: With an attitude like that it is no wonder stores are running out of items. And it is all quite unnecessary as all the scarcity is imaginary (in the hoarders' heads). No, no one is giving you browny points for being nice and leaving out some stuff so other families can get a particular item/product, but you know it's just a nice thing to do (and it makes you feel good). Thankfully, you are in minority from what I am seeing. I hope if you get seriously sick and doctors/nurses are busy treating other minor things, you don't expect treatment - after all, in your own words: first come, first served.

Hoarders are scum and are creating unnecessary supply chain problems. And there is absolutely no reason - we are not running out of food. I hope all stores implement strict limits on products, to prevent hoarding of food and to allow everyone access in these difficult times.
I buy for 1.5 weeks. If a particular product is not available, there is always something else I can use. I don't overbuy for some imaginary time - I'll be back in 1.5-2 weeks and will buy it then.
Limits only confirm problems exist and induce more people to join hoarding. Also, people may hoard just due to future price expectations or uncertainties.

It's in everyone's nature to self-preserve. It works against human nature to tell people not to hoard. That itself is signal to hoard and only make more people hoard invisibly.

Govts can enforce ATM limit to $200 per day, or $50 fuel per week. Guess what people will do next moment.
Deal Addict
May 27, 2007
3413 posts
797 upvotes
I don't agree. Your ideals is your own.
You agree that you dont get browny points one moment, then you say you want to do otherwise, to feel good, in which it is a reward to yourself... (browny points much?)
Quite the contradiction you have there.

I buy what I want with the money I earned. Who's anyone to say what I can or can't buy? (bar limitations imposed by stores)
Hypothetically speaking: If I get there before anyone and hoard all the tissue papers to build a fort @ A WAREHOUSE where they are to WHOLESALE items, what you going to do about it? Get into a fist fight with me?
I am not planning to resell it, so think twice before you have anything on me to report me to the authorities, which in places could be around a $2000 fine.

What about the stores like the convenience stores etc buying wholesale who stock up 1-10 carts full at once. Are you going to whine to them that they're doing your ideal pseudo-pandemic-system-ideals injustice and feel proud of yourself for not doing what they're doing by purchasing less then they are?

If you aren't from Canada, my tax dollars go into health care and it's very likely universal within Canada.
Whether me being a minority or not what does that have to do with anything. As well, that will prohibit me from access to healthcare?
You have a twisted mind biased to your false ideals akin to confirmation bias.

The type of emergency you have and how life threatening it is determines your position in Q.
Due to the fact that you cant exactly bribe your spot like you can in a US hospital, whether you pay more in income taxes or property taxes etc or not, priority is given to those who need it. Almost all Canadians contribute to paying our taxes into healthcare. You find joy and excitement by comparing hoarding supplies which is of their right vs wishing ILL and have a negative outlook on a human life when it's within their rights to receive health care? (Confirmational bias much?)

You're full of contradictions and twisted ideals and to be blunt, racial bias or even borderline racist or reverse-racist (depending on how you view it) having to bring in the minority card, which has nothing to do with anything about what I said or the topic? You have a lot to be thankful for if you're Canadian, so unlike our southern neighbours, lets leave the stirring of this racist "Nationality" virus thing to them.

I could go on and on about this topic but at the end of the day, you do you. It's within my right to do what I want, anyone else can cry themselves a river.
moebius2 wrote: With an attitude like that it is no wonder stores are running out of items. And it is all quite unnecessary as all the scarcity is imaginary (in the hoarders' heads). No, no one is giving you browny points for being nice and leaving out some stuff so other families can get a particular item/product, but you know it's just a nice thing to do (and it makes you feel good). Thankfully, you are in minority from what I am seeing. I hope if you get seriously sick and doctors/nurses are busy treating other minor things, you don't expect treatment - after all, in your own words: first come, first served.

Hoarders are scum and are creating unnecessary supply chain problems. And there is absolutely no reason - we are not running out of food. I hope all stores implement strict limits on products, to prevent hoarding of food and to allow everyone access in these difficult times.
I buy for 1.5 weeks. If a particular product is not available, there is always something else I can use. I don't overbuy for some imaginary time - I'll be back in 1.5-2 weeks and will buy it then.
RFD iTrader:76|||0
HEATWARE:15|||0
EBAY:220|||0
Jan 23, 2017
59 posts
63 upvotes
You are not living on an island! I am not going to bother replying to the rest of your post as it just doesn't make any sense at all (where did racism come from?). Just remember that the person driving the truck that is delivering the food you are hoarding is also buying food in a grocery store, as well as the person who you may need something from or potentially a future customer of yours (whatever is that you do). Just keep that in mind, the world is small and I keep crossing paths with various ******* from my life and I may decide to give them not so good service or help they ask for or need. Thankfully those are in minority.
But keep doing what makes you happy even if you have to stomp on other people. I disagree. I think it is possible to live with other people without that kind of mentality.
Triad wrote: I don't agree. Your ideals is your own.
You agree that you dont get browny points one moment, then you say you want to do otherwise, to feel good, in which it is a reward to yourself... (browny points much?) Quite the contradiction you have there.

I buy what I want with the money I earned. Who's anyones to say what I can or can't buy? (bar limitations imposed by stores)
Hypothetically speaking: If I get there before anyone does and hoard all the tissue papers to build a fort @ A WAREHOUSE where they are to WHOLESALE items, what you going to do about it? Get into a fist fight with me?
I am not planning to resell it, so think twice before you have anything on me to report me to the authorities, which in places is around a $2000 fine.

What about the minority stores like the convenience stores etc buying wholesale who stock up 1-10 carts full at once. Are you going to whine to them that they're doing your pseudo system of injustice and feel proud of yourself for not doing what they're doing?

If you aren't from Canada, my tax dollars go into health care and it's very likely universal within Canada.
Whether me being a minority or not, that will prohibit me from access to healthcare?
You have a twisted mind biased to your false ideals akin to confirmation bias.

The type of emergency you have and how life threatening it is determines your position in Q.
Due to the fact that you cant exactly bribe your spot like you can in a US hospital, whether you pay more in income taxes or property taxes and what not, and almost all canadians contribute to paying our taxes into healthcare, you find joy and excitement by comparing hoarding survival supplies vs that of a human life? (Confirmational bias much?)

You're full of contradictions and twisted ideals and to be blunt, racial bias or even borderline racist or reverse-racist (depending on how you view it) having to bring in the minority card, which has nothing to do with anything about what I said or the topic? You have a lot to be thankful for if you're Canadian, so unlike our southern neighbours don't try to stir up this racist "Nationality" virus thing.

I could go on and on about this topic but at the end of the day, you do you. It's within my right to do what I want, anyone else can cry themselves a river.
Jan 23, 2017
59 posts
63 upvotes
Sure, with current lineups at most grocery stores, I don't mind people buying an item and then immediately lining up again to buy. Nothing is foolproof. If someone wants to spend an afternoon and potentially expose themselves to unnecessary risk so be it.
There is already a limit on your daily ATM withdrawal: $500 with most institutions. You can get override by calling or going to the bank directly. If the situation escalated the government may decide to do whatever they need to do to preserve the system including $50 for gas or more drastic measures like coupons you can exchange for basic necessities (sugar, eggs, milk and TP). We are not there yet and hopefully, we never get there. But the option is there. It can even go to the extreme: if ticketing people in the park proves to be insufficient the government may decide to impose a curfew. I lived in a system like that, it was not fun, but it was necessary because of people like the other poster.
LongLiveRFD wrote: Limits only confirm problems exist and induce more people to join hoarding. Also, people may hoard just due to future price expectations or uncertainties.

It's in everyone's nature to self-preserve. It works against human nature to tell people not to hoard. That itself is signal to hoard and only make more people hoard invisibly.

Govts can enforce ATM limit to $200 per day, or $50 fuel per week. Guess what people will do next moment.
Deal Addict
May 27, 2007
3413 posts
797 upvotes
So you're not going to say from the way things look here that it was racist?
Thankfully you're a minority?
Youre full of contradictions and straight out pretty racist by bringing, "thankfully you're a minority" minority-card in followed by "I hope you get seriously sick".
You're the one that quoted me to initiate this debate. So if you can't handle the truth then dont start it then bring out the minority card and I hope ill on your health card cause you can't seem to comprehend human nature and bias to others who don't share your views? I pretty much lost it at your pretty racist remarks and seriously? Wishing ill on someone, probably to make you feel better?
You lost all your credibility and respect to uphold further conversations and debates on this matter with me.
Don't think I can deal with someone so negative to the tune of wishing someone ill cause they dont have the same views as you and pulling the racist card.

I'll just leave it with people do what they want this isn't communism. Let them be. Don't be nosey. You do you, let everyone else worry about themselves.
moebius2 wrote: You are not living on an island! I am not going to bother replying to the rest of your post as it just doesn't make any sense at all (where did racism come from?). Just remember that the person driving the truck that is delivering the food you are hoarding is also buying food in a grocery store, as well as the person who you may need something from or potentially a future customer of yours (whatever is that you do). Just keep that in mind, the world is small and I keep crossing paths with various ******* from my life and I may decide to give them not so good service or help they ask for or need. Thankfully those are in minority.
But keep doing what makes you happy even if you have to stomp on other people. I disagree. I think it is possible to live with other people without that kind of mentality.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2011
5857 posts
1366 upvotes
GTA
moebius2 wrote: Sure, with current lineups at most grocery stores, I don't mind people buying an item and then immediately lining up again to buy. Nothing is foolproof. If someone wants to spend an afternoon and potentially expose themselves to unnecessary risk so be it.
There is already a limit on your daily ATM withdrawal: $500 with most institutions. You can get override by calling or going to the bank directly. If the situation escalated the government may decide to do whatever they need to do to preserve the system including $50 for gas or more drastic measures like coupons you can exchange for basic necessities (sugar, eggs, milk and TP). We are not there yet and hopefully, we never get there. But the option is there. It can even go to the extreme: if ticketing people in the park proves to be insufficient the government may decide to impose a curfew. I lived in a system like that, it was not fun, but it was necessary because of people like the other poster.
So do we have a widespread shortage or not? in 3-6 months. You know this question alone is enough to trigger anyone to hoard right?

ATM limits are to protect banks from bank runs. The $500 limit you were referring to was to protect customers, not the banks. When govts impose ATM limit, we'd face some serious crisis. And during a crisis, people hoard and people will hoard anything. The only way to end hoarding is to open up the banks' vault, show everyone there's $10B in cash or gold, so people see and go home. It's a confidence game.

Frankly, I much prefer a temporal Soviet rationing system and martial laws than anarchy. It's more effective than giving people money to buy anything and likely end up cheaper for future taxpayers. Wartime economy is simply more efficient in dealing with a crisis than witch-hunting and finger-pointing, which promotes even more fear thus hoarding.
Dec 8, 2009
459 posts
440 upvotes
You are misinterpreting the usage of the word minority here. There is no racism involved. They were saying that they hoped you were in the minority in terms of the people that were hoarding, not that you were a minority racially.

mi·nor·i·ty
noun
the smaller number or part, especially a number that is less than half the whole number.
"a minority party"
Triad wrote: So you're not going to say from the way things look here that it was racist?
Thankfully you're a minority?
Youre full of contradictions and straight out pretty racist by bringing, "thankfully you're a minority" minority-card in followed by "I hope you get seriously sick".
You're the one that quoted me to initiate this debate. So if you can't handle the truth then dont start it then bring out the minority card and I hope ill on your health card cause you can't seem to comprehend human nature and bias to others who don't share your views? I pretty much lost it at your pretty racist remarks and seriously? Wishing ill on someone, probably to make you feel better?
You lost all your credibility and respect to uphold further conversations and debates on this matter with me.
Don't think I can deal with someone so negative to the tune of wishing someone ill cause they dont have the same views as you and pulling the racist card.

I'll just leave it with people do what they want this isn't communism. Let them be. Don't be nosey. You do you, let everyone else worry about themselves.
Deal Addict
May 27, 2007
3413 posts
797 upvotes
Oh I should've suspected that, perhaps I had this wrong and in which case I apologize but the user never bothered to clarify.

Right now hoarding or panic buying is still the majority in my city lots of people do 2 cart shopping at my costco even when it says limit 1 per family.
Right up til the 1 per person/family of TP, never seen 1 cart were they just had 1 product of TP. Most usually 3 or 4 the time I went.
Massive line ups before even senior hours to get in the store with some grocery chains having 30+ mins line up outside.

I thought he was referencing my past posts and profiling me by calling me a minority.
Made no sense in the other way cause people would still OVER BUY if they could. It's the majority in my case.
Given the chance to have WM 1L hand sanitizers limit-free, im sure 1 person would clean that stock up.
Everyone I've seen or heard of is over buying right now especially on the scarce commodities as gloves, masks, hand sanitizers.
So that was MAJORITY in that sense to me at the time of reading that users post.

Anyways im doing fine with my tp fort. YEEHA Image
(BTW i was never hoarding or panic buying just hypothetically speaking...
I just bulk buy: I try to not leave the house, unless help parents buy their TP or for snacks and in the cases canned goods cause bodybuilding problems.
Don't have much masks left and a lot of people in my city is disgusting.
Most probably felt butt hurt and attacked when he wished me ill but oh well.)

Since I live in a smaller city and everyone's mostly chill with each other, casual chats with randos say they wish they never had these limits to 1 so that they can buy more at once and then we casually laugh it off either as a joke, or seriousness. It's not that surprising for me when I see people buy loads of 1 item. Especially pre-limits. Like the lysol wipes, I should've stocked up but was too lazy to go out and now I spend a lot of my wasted time F5 costco website or calling costco every few days (stopped now) to see when stock will be in.... Same with masks, gloves and hand sanitizers. I knew I should've loaded up pre-limits.
Living with immuno compromised people is a drag....

Then we always have the 1 snarky self-entitled person who thinks they're better than everyone else cause they either missed out or can't refill their supplies. Which I mistook that user as.
TempletonPeck wrote: You are misinterpreting the usage of the word minority here. There is no racism involved. They were saying that they hoped you were in the minority in terms of the people that were hoarding, not that you were a minority racially.

mi·nor·i·ty
noun
the smaller number or part, especially a number that is less than half the whole number.
"a minority party"
Really wished I would've stocked up on face masks when they were 50c each and N95 were under $2.
Now I have to pay double+, same with hand sanitizers we are out of stock for months...
Now we have my parents, grandparents and extended family reusing masks cause they're afraid and panicking.

Was just too lazy to hunt the above cause I helped them stock up on their rice prelimits. Now it's limit 1 and we dont have to worry about going to pick up a bag every month or whatever.
Deal Addict
May 1, 2018
1421 posts
903 upvotes
Vancouver
DaVibe wrote: I hoard all the time because I'm a sale shopper.
So if you see me with 24 cans of soup (funny you use that as an example), I eat soup 5 days a week for lunch, plus the occasional soup on off days, so 24 cans of soup is about 3-4 weeks worth of flyer sales. If it's a really good price, WHY WOULDN'T I buy that many? It goes bad in 2 years, it will be eaten in 2 months.

I don't know, stalking up in a normal environment has and always will be an RFD thing. Doesn't bother me when people do it.

Hoarding to resell is a different beast.
Why not make a whole batch at home? You could make more for cheaper AND healthier considering how much sodium is in a canned soup unless you don't have the time, hence the canned soup 5 times a week.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2002
7322 posts
734 upvotes
Toronto
My inlaws heard somewhere that the rice industry is disrupted and there will be a shortage by summer, they now have around 100kg of rice at home and set aside 40 for us apparently.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
11153 posts
6157 upvotes
Markham
Like some have said before this pandemic, ppl didn't care. But now, having to go from store to store to store to find something is just exposing oneself and others it's not "good".

You have to also factor in that some ppl cannot stockup or hoard as they live pay check to pay check and that includes seniors on fixed incomes.

There's reasonable stocking up and then there's unreasonable. If a bag of beans last you 2 months IF you cooked it on a regular basis, why buy 3 bags of each of 6 varieties? This would be unreasonable hoarding.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2011
1357 posts
1004 upvotes
British Columbia
gr8dlr wrote: There's reasonable stocking up and then there's unreasonable. If a bag of beans last you 2 months IF you cooked it on a regular basis, why buy 3 bags of each of 6 varieties? This would be unreasonable hoarding.
General speculation would be that you then have enough types of beans to make soup and they last a long time. You don't know the situation of the person buying the beans so who is to say how fast they go through them, how many family or friends they're buying for, or their own economic concerns; perhaps if prices go up they won't be able to afford food. Yes it's catch 22. But that doesn't stop it from happening the world over whenever there is any kind of natural disaster. All you can do is prepare as best you can while trying to be mindful of others.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2017
1000 posts
791 upvotes
GTA
Doing what's within your rights and doing the right thing aren't necessarily the same.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15037 posts
12135 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Jonric wrote: Doing what's within your rights and doing the right thing aren't necessarily the same.
Amen

Or as my Parents used to say to us kids in our teenage years & early 20s

JUST BECAUSE YOU CAN ... DOESN'T MEAN YOU SHOULD

More common sense advice for the ages
And good words to live your life by