Tags:
[OP]
May 27, 2013
38 posts
328 upvotes
Burnaby

Scallion growing at home

Hey fellas!

Green hand here trying to grow scallions at home. My scallions have been growing in water (in a tofu box lol) and I think it's ready to be moved into a pot.

Then I realized, I have no fking clue what kind of soil or pot I need! Do I just buy a pot and dig up some dirt on a moonless night? All the soil I see are BIG BAGs. Way too thicc for my liking.

Any recommendations on stores where I can find pot with soil prefilled to the amount I need for a couple of scallions? Canadian Tire ain't the best. I heard Home Depot is good, but want to get folks opinions here.

Thanks ya'll!
7 replies
Jul 13, 2008
61 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto
Normally you would have to buy empty pots and fill it up with soil. You could probably buy a small bag of dirt something like this from Home depot.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2003
2113 posts
1155 upvotes
GTA
We grow them in a planter box in the backyard with any regular potting soil. They grow so fast we can't eat them all and we love eating them.
Feb 11, 2009
337 posts
115 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
If you want to grow them without soil, you can try to do it as hydroponics. But you will need hydroponics fertizier. And it will likely cost more than a simple bag of soil.

I just started to grow microgreens at home. Been fun so far.
Feb 11, 2009
337 posts
115 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
exrcoupe wrote: We grow them in a planter box in the backyard with any regular potting soil. They grow so fast we can't eat them all and we love eating them.
Mine are still doing good. Though I only have a small bunch left since they were over-shaded and crowded by the pepper plants around them in the summer. I hope they grow and spread in the winter since the plot is mostly empty with other summer veggies clear out.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
20856 posts
19108 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
One stop shopping …
Cdn Tire or a Big Box Store like Home Depot, Lowe’s, or Rona

You can check store locations online
As well as what stock they have …
Start a dummy order for pick up

You are looking for Potting Soil
Ideally one made specifically for Veggies & Flowers
Like the one that @MarlowT linked to
Our favourite brand is ProMix
But Miracle-Gro is pretty good too

I wouldn’t hesitate using either brand
Miracle-Gro tends to be easier to find in smaller bags
While ProMix has many more products for special applications … House Plants, African Violets, Cacti & Succulents etc

TIPS…
Get a pot at least 3 inches deep
One with drainage holes, and a saucer
Before you put dirt in the pot … place a cut up coffee filter in the bottom to cover the drainage holes
This will still allow the water to flow thru freely … but will minimize soil being washed out of the pot
Fill the pot with some soil
Poke holes for the scallions you wish to transplant
Plant them … and water
Then put in a Sunny window
And watch them grow
Smiling Face With Sunglasses

PS … leftover soil ?
Seal up the bag and either toss it in your garage
Or outdoors … say you live in in apt … it’ll be fine on your balcony
If you are going to get into indoor gardening … or houseplants
Then instead put the sealed soil bag (or its contents) into an appropriately sized Rubbermaid container with a snap lock lid
This is what we do … as we garden year round … indoors & out
So I always want some soil on hand to transplant plants or move seedlings from my AeroGarden to pots come late Winter / Spring as I get ready to move outdoors for Spring / Summer gardening
Oct 14, 2012
789 posts
526 upvotes
Woodstock
Smaller bags of indoor potting soil are often available at dollar stores, grocery stores, Walmart, etc. Might be less common now with covid; I haven't looked recently.

I just searched the Walmart website for "potting soil for indoor plants" and chose the grocery shopping search, it found small 9L and 5L bags for under $5. You might want to check for the store nearest you in case it's out of stock.
[OP]
May 27, 2013
38 posts
328 upvotes
Burnaby
Thanks everyone!! Very good tips :)