Home & Garden

SCAM ALERT! Free nest thermostat

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 23rd, 2020 9:35 am
Nov 12, 2019
8 posts
I live in Whitby. The sales person name was Moe. His phone number is 6138696309. Both the guys had Google Nest jacket or Jersey. They had ID card with names Google Nest.
I got a doubt only when they were going back I saw thru my balcony door , that they didn't go to any other home in my street and there were no vehicle with them. They walked till the end of the street and turned. I was googling a lot of nest thermostat deals and RFD forums for past couple of days. I downloaded a home Depot instant rebate coupon from Enbridge site. May be because of that download, they got to know that I'm looking for a smart thermostat and came to my home. Don't know.
Whatever be the reason, I will not open or answer unknown ppl at the door. New home owner, was not aware of door to door scams like these.
Nov 12, 2019
8 posts
kganesan wrote: I got scammed on September 24th, luckily this thread helped me in realising my mistake on the same day. Looks like they are targeting new homeowners in Durham region.

This salesperson did not provided me with the agreement, I was thinking I am signing an application form which will be reviewed for the eligibility.

The company name from his ID card which said 'Ontario EcoSmart'.

Called up Ministry of Government and Consumer services and got their address to send a cancellation letter via registered mail. I sent the cancellation on September 26th. They advised me to not allow the business to install thermostat in my home. These guys tried to send a 'so-called service technician' on September 25th evening, luckily I was not home.

I think I have done my part to escape from this scam, don't know what happens next.

I am more furious on Enbridge as I asked for those scammers address they told they don't have it on their file - WTH. Looks like they get a fair share.

One signature and you are locked-in for 10 years is kind of slavery. Government should do better in increasing the cooling-off period to couple of billing cycle even with a small penalty.

Any advise would be helpful.
Hi Ganesan, exactly same thing happened yesterday as your experience. I live in Whitby. I immediately realized my mistake reading this thread.. I've done exactly what you have mentioned. Called the Ministry of Government and Consumer services and they instructed the same like they told you. I've alerted my bank, Enbridge. I am not going to allow any install by them at my home.
Has this company charged for you anything in your Enbridge bill? Bcoz we've given our Enbridge account number and signed a form with them, I'm worried if they'll charge us for 10 years. The T& C on the backside of the form says if we give Enbridge account number means we have signed up for Enbridge billing every month. I'm worried.
Nov 12, 2019
8 posts
Today I called the Canadian Anti-Fraud Call Centre at 1-888-495-8501 and reported this as a scam. They said it's legal to do door to sales and sign up a contract for whatever years they want. Those companies are legally registered and they cannot take my reporting as a fraud or a scam.
How funny!
Sep 26, 2019
10 posts
2 upvotes
BalaMeenakshiK68528 wrote: Hi Ganesan, exactly same thing happened yesterday as your experience. I live in Whitby. I immediately realized my mistake reading this thread.. I've done exactly what you have mentioned. Called the Ministry of Government and Consumer services and they instructed the same like they told you. I've alerted my bank, Enbridge. I am not going to allow any install by them at my home.
Has this company charged for you anything in your Enbridge bill? Bcoz we've given our Enbridge account number and signed a form with them, I'm worried if they'll charge us for 10 years. The T& C on the backside of the form says if we give Enbridge account number means we have signed up for Enbridge billing every month. I'm worried.
I am so sorry to hear this, but I did not receive any additional charges in my Enbridge bill. For me, the incident happened on Sep-25th. I am worried too. When I was talking to a Enbridge customer rep, they told that if nothing was installed in our house then they cannot charge us. But you never know, these guys are worse. Did you send them a written cancellation letter (via registered post)? If not, do that ASAP for your own safety and records. You must do this before 10 days from signing the agreement. Did you share your banking info with them?
Nov 12, 2019
8 posts
kganesan wrote: I am so sorry to hear this, but I did not receive any additional charges in my Enbridge bill. For me, the incident happened on Sep-25th. I am worried too. When I was talking to a Enbridge customer rep, they told that if nothing was installed in our house then they cannot charge us. But you never know, these guys are worse. Did you send them a written cancellation letter (via registered post)? If not, do that ASAP for your own safety and records. You must do this before 10 days from signing the agreement. Did you share your banking info with them?
Thank you for your reply Ganesan. I didn't share my bank account or credit card info with them. But they have my Enbridge account number. And the T& C in the form says if we give the Enbridge account details , we automatically consent and give permission for them to charge us as part of Enbridge bill. But as you said, they cannot charge us for a product / service that was never installed. This incident happened yesterday. So I have to watch my Enbridge bill closely for next few months. I am going to send a cancellation letter by registered mail tomorrow. Additionally, I'm thinking of calling Skymark (who's the billing company of these Ecosmart guys as per T& C) and ensure that there's no contract on my name. Skymark financial services is a registered third party company with Enbridge as per their website.Your text to link here...
Sep 26, 2019
10 posts
2 upvotes
BalaMeenakshiK68528 wrote: Thank you for your reply Ganesan. I didn't share my bank account or credit card info with them. But they have my Enbridge account number. And the T& C in the form says if we give the Enbridge account details , we automatically consent and give permission for them to charge us as part of Enbridge bill. But as you said, they cannot charge us for a product / service that was never installed. This incident happened yesterday. So I have to watch my Enbridge bill closely for next few months. I am going to send a cancellation letter by registered mail tomorrow. Additionally, I'm thinking of calling Skymark (who's the billing company of these Ecosmart guys as per T& C) and ensure that there's no contract on my name. Skymark financial services is a registered third party company with Enbridge as per their website.Your text to link here...
That's good.
In my case, they didn't even leave me with the agreement.
Keep us posted on this thread on how things go with Skymark.
Can you please upload the terms and conditions pages here?
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3819 posts
935 upvotes
Toronto
They are going around central Toronto now. Had one of their "salesmen" knock on the door the other day - the screen door was locked and I saw the Nest logo on his jacket. I just shook my head and closed the main door.

I also had a call from a person wanting to check our water mains (the part that Toronto owns) - so I told her that I had heard nothing about such work and if she would leave me her number I would call her back after I checked with the City. Not surprisingly she hung up on me. They of course were doing work "in our neighbourhood".
Nov 21, 2019
1 posts
Hey Guys, i just met one of these scammers. Here is copy of the contract, he wanted me to sign:
He should be a good salesman =))
Images
  • IMG_20191122_181300.jpg
  • IMG_20191122_181316.jpg
  • IMG_20191122_181322.jpg
Nov 23, 2019
1 posts
DONT BE A FOOL !!!They will ask to enter your home to see if your thermostat is compatible, in reality all they want is your bill so they can grab your account number and make it seem like they're going to save you some money. They're all trained to lie and create bullshit, the guys that come are all nice , but the company is a scam. They will not upgrade your nest one a new one comes out . And there's no maintenance on anything!!! Your furnace and AC will nottt be converted for shitt .GOOGLE DONT HIRE DOOR TO DOOR. You could do it all by your self. They will make you sign a contract for 10 years and if you dont pay they put a Lean on your house.. my son worked for this company and got tricked into somthing he didn't know . Please be awaree
Images
  • 20191124_152545.jpg
  • 20191124_152603.jpg
Dec 1, 2019
1 posts
Hi,

My dad got scammed too. The salesperson’s name who came to our house is Moe Osman. We never answer our calls anymore. We’ve been trying to cut the contract since they gave us a “month to month contract” because they failed to install the equipment on time. They’ve been giving us a hard time. I don’t know what to do anymore. They were supposed to install a carbon filter, hepa filter, and reverse osmosis back in September/October. Until now they still haven’t installed the reverse osmosis and we’ve been paying for it. We always try to call them but no one was helping us. They only tried to help us when my dad started to get aggressive. Please send me an email at [email protected] so we can talk about this. I really need to help my dad. He’s so stressed about it.
Dec 11, 2013
6 posts
3 upvotes
Scam alert:

Cancel the contract. You can cancel.

Call consumer protection for advice.

Remember no such thing as free lunch,

Dispute and/or Cancel credit card charge if any. Reason: Misrepresentation and fraud charges.

Call police for scam advice.

Don't panic.

This is in the news for scam trends, you are not alone, you can solve this.

Watch Google YouTube videos on furnace scams, you will see this is common. Just takes time to solve.

No one can scare you if you are informed.

Don't ask what the scammer can do for you.
Get your consumer rights and solve it.

Good luck!
Dec 11, 2013
6 posts
3 upvotes
Scam alert:

Reliance Home Comfort is also giving away fake nest thermostat to get into your door and dismantle your working furnace /boiler. Don't let them I the door, this is a scam.
Website advertises fake free gifts to get into your house,

No such thing as free gift. They just want entry to your house.

Sell you a new $10,000 boiler/ furnace .

Fake tell you that your equipment is spewing carbon monoxide and is a silent killer. Yes'm you do have a working carbon monoxide.

Don't be fooled,

Don't sign anything, don't be fooled that they need to see your furnace, this is a red flag.
Good luck,

Be armed with info and stay blessed.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
7544 posts
2458 upvotes
0 downvotes
reliance home comfort is trying to auto sign me up for their protection plan, i told them where to go, i told them i have brand spanking new furnace and it has free maintenance for a period and if anyone other than their guys tinker with it it voids warranty and if they dare sign me up i will come after them and sue them
Say NO to the WAR!
PEACE is the answer!
Mar 26, 2020
1 posts
How did you go by cancelling with them? Can you guide me steps by steps please? I’m a victim already installed too. Thank you a million in advance.
Dec 20, 2020
1 posts
This same thing happened today. Frankly i am bit scared. They dint check bill or anything but kept asking when they can come next. They did not have card or anything when asked.
Penalty Box
Nov 21, 2013
8128 posts
9301 upvotes
Montréal
koffey wrote: Too bad selling jesus/alibaba/insertyourgodhere door to door isn't illegal.

Had an older white man bring a black child to my door a few weeks ago trying to sell me on jehovas thinking I wouldn't be a complete jerk around a child... Poor kid.

Thanks OP.
Las time I had Jehovah's Witness'es at my door I cranked up my sound system playing Motley Crue's Shout at the Devil . Can't imagine that they, in 2020, still bring kids with them to recruit new members.... Like you said, poor kid....

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)