[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2004
7608 posts
1034 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Scam calls today

Hi,

Has anybody noticed a weird pattern of scam calls today? My Fido phone got like 10 calls, I probably answered 6, they were all the legal department of Service Canada informing me about some enforcement action. Same recording each time. 10 in one day is... way way way way more than usual.

(Meanwhile, two other phones didn't get any scam calls. It seems like they are targeting some numbers and not others)
6 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2009
2491 posts
1705 upvotes
North Vancouver
I used to get these all the time. I'm with Fido as well and all the displayed call numbers were very similar to mine. Thankfully these have died down and I haven't been bothered for a while.
Basil: Well, may I ask what you were expecting to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House, perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically -?
May 26, 2020
215 posts
109 upvotes
I get them in spirts. I'm with Koodo and I'll get 10 in a day then none for a month.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2005
5371 posts
3063 upvotes
GTA
PaulJ156 wrote: I get them in spirts. I'm with Koodo and I'll get 10 in a day then none for a month.
If you're with Koodo then you have a feature available to you called Call Control. This has solved the calls for me completely.

https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/call-control

As for the scam calls, this has been a thing for years.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21042 posts
10552 upvotes
Oakville
Also with Fido, no burst in scam calls lately. I think the scammers will target blocks of numbers at a given time, rather than doing a broad range. Whenever I get a call from an unknown number now, though, I just use my Pixel's call screening function (honestly my favourite feature, now) and the scammers hang up and don't leave a message, which is nice as it saves me from having to go into my voicemail to delete it.
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
20790 posts
6261 upvotes
GTA
wearysky wrote: Also with Fido, no burst in scam calls lately. I think the scammers will target blocks of numbers at a given time, rather than doing a broad range. Whenever I get a call from an unknown number now, though, I just use my Pixel's call screening function (honestly my favourite feature, now) and the scammers hang up and don't leave a message, which is nice as it saves me from having to go into my voicemail to delete it.
+1 Pixel call screening is amazing. I actually used it on a government employee (I was being interviewed) and we spent 5 minutes talking about spam calls and he was surprised about call screening, and was like, I am going to watch reviews on Youtube about it.

My Pixel 2 XL is getting older and I've been looking at new phones, Pixels are average but the software.....is it worth the tradeoff? I am leaning towards yes....
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21042 posts
10552 upvotes
Oakville
coriolis wrote: My Pixel 2 XL is getting older and I've been looking at new phones, Pixels are average but the software.....is it worth the tradeoff? I am leaning towards yes....
I felt the same way... Picked up the Pixel 4a 5g at Christmas time (got a solid deal on it) and I have no complaints. I haven't noticed any performance issues despite it being a mid-range processor, but then I'm also not doing any hardcore gaming on it or anything, so I wouldn't expect to notice any performance issues, really.