None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2016
8418 posts
9079 upvotes
The Prairies

Scam text message RE: Capital One credit card

So I recall reading many posts in the past about people getting their Capital One cards copied, and other fraudulent things happening with their Capital One accounts.
I haven't carried a Capital One card in about 20 years, and just last month applied for the Aspire Platinum card, which I received a week later.
Just the other day I received a text message from 613-252-9437, stating they've detected some unexpected issues with my Costco Capital One account. And of course there's a supplied link that gullible people are suppose to click on and give the crooks access to your Capital One account, card number, expiry, CVV etc....
I know these kinds of things pop up now and again, but I can't help but be suspicious of the timing of this text message, seeing I'm a new customer and have never received anything like this before getting this card. I also signed up for the text message alerts inside my Capital One online banking.
My card # starts with 5491 39XX XXXX XXXX, and I wonder if the Costco Platinum card have the same prefix or not.
Anyone else that has a Capital One card, or not, received this same text message?
The timing could be coincidence, but I'm not fully convinced of that.
5 replies
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2016
8418 posts
9079 upvotes
The Prairies
Wow 130+ views of this post, and nobody has anything?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35742 posts
21839 upvotes
Center of Universe
I ignore everything with a link from all FIs.
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2004
2511 posts
62 upvotes
Ontario
Don't have a Capital One card but got this text as well.
Heatware: 60-0-0
Feb 9, 2018
1 posts
this is the truth what Capital One did to me.
I received approval for a card for 300 dollars. It was the secured credit card so I had to put up the funds. I did this to help build my credit.
I had the card for 6 months. paid it on time every time, and after 7 months I noticed my credit score was the same. This card was not helping me in any way. So....I decided it was in my best interest to get rid of the card and try some other avenues.
So, I called Capital One.....asked them to cancel my card. PLEASE NOTE. I have a ZERO balance, NO PENDING TRANSACTIONS and they have 300 dollars of my deposit. The lady I spoke to assured me that it would be cancelled on the phone. I ASSUMED that this was finished and that my security would be returned to me (300 dollars)
This is where it gets interesting. (BTW, I had shredded my card and got rid of this card when I called in asking them to delete my account) A month - a month and a half later, My card is still (OPEN) according to my credit report. NO TRANSACTIONS but still OPEN. I AGAIN called them and they said they would close it AGAIN!!!......GUESS WHAT.....YES.....STILL NOT CLOSED!!! I was away out of the country for 6 months, when I returned STILL OPEN . They did NOT close the account. so if you are reading this, yes this is approx 9 MONTHS after I asked them to close the account. There was NO TRANSACTIONS, no fees incurred over this 9 MONTHS. These bastards would NOT send me my lousy 300 dollars back. So I took the 300 dollars out as a (CASH ADVANCE) on the ATM. Only way I thought I could get my money back, after it it was pushing a year since I asked them numerous times to close the account. I received a bill from them approx 30 days after I pulled the money (300 dollars) and they sent me a bill for 322 dollars. I called them and told them where to go and how to get there. 3 months later I have a collection on my credit file for 322 dollars from CAPITAL ONE indicating that it was a bad/account write off. AND to top it off they put it in the credit bureau stating it was a balance of 322 dollars with a credit limit of 500 dollars. How can this company do this? How can companies report false information and get away with it. My credit went from a 722 to like 400 and something because of this. These bastards ruined me. Maybe I should not have pulled the 300 out almost a year later My mortgage came up for renewal and I had to pay HIGHER interest rates. Long story short, this company **** me and cost me thousands. DO NOT BE NEXT! This happened to me over 5 years ago and is about to fall off my bureau in the next 8 months at some point. I refused to pay it but it just blows my mind they are able to ruin people like this. I have since built my credit up and am hoping my mortgage rates will go down soon. I will NEVER get a card again from them. I am so scared to get a credit card period from any company. Nothing NICE to say about these clowns. CONSUMERS BEWARE