• Jul 19th, 2020 4:26 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Oct 30, 2017
593 posts
461 upvotes
Toronto

Scarborough

What's everyone's opinion on real estate in Scarborough? I know it's a huge area with many different neighborhoods with some being better than others.

My impression is that often Scarborough is looked down upon and is not on many people's radar when it comes to purchasing real estate. Why do you think that is? Is it because of the demographics?

Interested to hear your thoughts. I am wondering why it is under-priced compared to other parts of the GTA.
52 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 27, 2004
7410 posts
5356 upvotes
Toronto
MetalGear wrote: What's everyone's opinion on real estate in Scarborough? I know it's a huge area with many different neighborhoods with some being better than others.

My impression is that often Scarborough is looked down upon and is not on many people's radar when it comes to purchasing real estate. Why do you think that is? Is it because of the demographics?

Interested to hear your thoughts. I am wondering why it is under-priced compared to other parts of the GTA.
many good areas in Scarborough .

huntingwood and warden is a great area
Full-time Realtor
Banned
Nov 14, 2017
112 posts
74 upvotes
A lot of people grow up in Scarborough, move out to other "better" areas, then shit on it to make themselves feel better. :)
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2019
1707 posts
2617 upvotes
Stouffville ON
Scarborough has come along way in the last 10 or 15 years or so, in the pas you could get a deal but really not anymore, it is priced high, as the prices are increasing so is the quality of the neighbourhoods, you just need to avoid certain pockets. Even Malvern has gotten better due to new projects in certain areas.
The stigma Scarborough may still have, doesn’t prevent from having 30 offers on an old bungalow Winking Face, I would move into certain areas in a heartbeat (Rouge, Guildwood, Scarborough Village, Cliffcrest, Birchcliffe-Cliffside etc)
Full Time and Full Service Realtor
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
18755 posts
16993 upvotes
Tarrana & The Ri…
Really depends on which part of Scarborough we're talking about. Some areas I dislike, some areas I like. I will say, people from Scarborough tend to be really cool.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2007
4036 posts
4519 upvotes
Toronto
MetalGear wrote: What's everyone's opinion on real estate in Scarborough? I know it's a huge area with many different neighborhoods with some being better than others.

I grew up with Scarborough friends, although I was from north york, lots of great pockets in scarborough, prices are going up steadily every year....

I would take scarborough over the west end any day of the week.....

way more shootings, etc in etobicoke , jane / finch , rexdale, etc.

look at midland to bellamy pocket bordered by lawrence and ellesmere .... $800k - $900k roughly
[OP]
Oct 30, 2017
593 posts
461 upvotes
Toronto
senasena wrote: Scarborough has come along way in the last 10 or 15 years or so, in the pas you could get a deal but really not anymore, it is priced high, as the prices are increasing so is the quality of the neighbourhoods, you just need to avoid certain pockets. Even Malvern has gotten better due to new projects in certain areas.
The stigma Scarborough may still have, doesn’t prevent from having 30 offers on an old bungalow Winking Face, I would move into certain areas in a heartbeat (Rouge, Guildwood, Scarborough Village, Cliffcrest, Birchcliffe-Cliffside etc)
For full disclosure, I currently reside in Scarborough in the Port Union/West Rouge area. To me it seemed under-priced given the size of the house that you could get and other benefits such as being close to the GO as well as nature and trails. The same house somewhere in better part of Etobicoke would have cost me a lot more - probably at least 1.5 times what I paid.

What do you think will be the price growth in Scarborough compared to other parts of Toronto such as High Park/Midtown/Beaches? I am wondering if it makes sense to move to more in demand areas since long term price appreciation may be higher.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2019
1707 posts
2617 upvotes
Stouffville ON
MetalGear wrote: For full disclosure, I currently reside in Scarborough in the Port Union/West Rouge area. To me it seemed under-priced given the size of the house that you could get and other benefits such as being close to the GO as well as nature and trails. The same house somewhere in better part of Etobicoke would have cost me a lot more - probably at least 1.5 times what I paid.

What do you think will be the price growth in Scarborough compared to other parts of Toronto such as High Park/Midtown/Beaches? I am wondering if it makes sense to move to more in demand areas since long term price appreciation may be higher.
High Park and Beaches are two of my favourite areas, Scarborough IMO will never get there from the price perspective, hard to predict which area will have a better price appreciation, my theory with everything else being equal the closer you are to DT or best areas in Toronto, the better the real estate.
Beaches and High Park will always be in more demand than Scarborough. Just my 2 cents.
Feb 7, 2009
228 posts
106 upvotes
oasis100 wrote: many good areas in Scarborough .

huntingwood and warden is a great area
Agreed, there are some really good pockets in Scarborough. I guess Scarborough and Brampton will always have a bad rep, as I can share my experience buying in Brampton. I bought my first home in Brampton (Brampton West); a pre con town home. My budget was low and that was only what I could afford 5 years ago and many questioned why i did.
Just last month i sold it for almost double what I bought it for and being an undervalued area couple years back cause its "Brampton" it's now comparable to prices of a townhouse in Markham or Vaughan. I enjoyed the 4 years living there it turned out to be a great neighborhood. I may be moving out of the area and north not because its Brampton but want to be closer to in-laws. I used to be one that smashed talked Brampton but I kicked my self in the mouth, learnt my lesson and have a much different perspective.
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2017
3130 posts
5997 upvotes
Toronto/Markham
MetalGear wrote: For full disclosure, I currently reside in Scarborough in the Port Union/West Rouge area. To me it seemed under-priced given the size of the house that you could get and other benefits such as being close to the GO as well as nature and trails. The same house somewhere in better part of Etobicoke would have cost me a lot more - probably at least 1.5 times what I paid.

Price growth in Scarborough will be pocket dependent, it's too big to generalize. That said on average it's not a great place because lower household incomes, social housing, and everything that comes with that. Unfortunately the concentration of the bad far outnumbers the "good".

That said I definitely think there are a few pockets that will gentrify over the next decade and will get a bump in appreciation relative to the rest of Scarborough. The port union/huntingwood/wexford/guildwood/midland bluffs are nice, but I don't see much than average/below average appreciation there personally.
Realtor®
Jan 27, 2018
531 posts
519 upvotes
Some pockets are very good in Scarborough as few have mentioned... Just got a general bad rep... People are changing attitude towards Scarbourough now when trying to find affordable places and I personally know few who have bought there and are happy with their purchase.
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2017
3130 posts
5997 upvotes
Toronto/Markham
Unknownname wrote: People are changing attitude towards Scarbourough now when trying to find affordable places.
The problem with Scarborough is that this exact thing has been VERY slow. People have been changing attitudes towards it since forever and in some cases real estate there stays stagnant or barely grows. It's also the first place to start dropping like a rock when the market turns (08-09) relative to the rest of the GTA.

I am not knocking it, I am personally a fan of Scarborough and agree it doesn't get the credit it deserves, but it's not a preferred place for most to buy and the numbers and slow migration show it.
Realtor®
Oct 31, 2019
432 posts
559 upvotes

Look, with GTA prices as high as they are, "ordinary" families no longer pay obscene prices because they WANT to. They pay them because they HAVE to. If a couple wants to raise a family but doesn't have a giant bank of mom and pop and don't have a combined income of $250k+, then Scarborough begins to look pretty good because of the SPACE that you can buy, even if it isn't very pretty. The result? It becomes gentrified, becomes thought of as "desirable" and a "good neighbourhood". We're at a weird point in history where prices actually seem to reflect a fully gentrified, amazing neighbourhood with few deals, but still seems to have a stigma attached because of people who grew up there 20 years ago. I suspect that the stigma will disappear in 10-20 years.

The caveat is that it's not quite there yet vs. other established rich areas; so if the economy or immigration ever slows for an extended period of time then I'd expect Scarborough to be less resilient than other areas.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2015
1550 posts
671 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
Scarborough has been looked down up since the beginning of time. When my parents were looking for their first home in 1960, they decided against Scarborough because it was "rough". Of course things change, but I still wouldn't buy there.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
2215 posts
1540 upvotes
GTA
When I first moved to Toronto, I was warned not to live in Scarborough. As I got more familiar with the city, I came to realize that the negative aspects of Scarborough were exaggerated. I now live here and love it.

The only negative is that dining options are limited in the East end of the city.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 27, 2004
7410 posts
5356 upvotes
Toronto
its stigmatized because of racism and prejudices people have. thats the truth.

there's nothing wrong with Scarborough
people still buy there because they want to be close to transit or certain communities.
Full-time Realtor
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2017
3130 posts
5997 upvotes
Toronto/Markham
oasis100 wrote: its stigmatized because of racism and prejudices people have. thats the truth.

there's nothing wrong with Scarborough
people still buy there because they want to be close to transit or certain communities.
I guess people who live in Scarborough are also racist and prejudice when they leave it? Scarborough is like a starter home. Not many want to live there forever and it's just a springboard into home ownership. When people who live there can afford to move out they immediately go to the 905. This has been a trend since the 90's.

The racism/prejudice comment has legs though, good luck with it.
Realtor®
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2019
1707 posts
2617 upvotes
Stouffville ON
RichmondCA wrote: Not many want to live there forever and it's just a springboard into home ownership. When people who live there can afford to move out they immediately go to the 905. This has been a trend since the 90's.
Not anymore, driving around Scarborough's older neighbourhoods you see many properties torn down and rebuilt into high end homes such as these, people who buy these maybe would have preferred to be in the Beaches, High Park etc, but will be just fine settling on these:
https://www.bungol.ca/map/43.774534&-79 ... 34-4026751
https://www.bungol.ca/map/43.774534&-79 ... 34-4029359
https://www.bungol.ca/map/43.774534&-79 ... 27-4116724
https://www.bungol.ca/map/43.774534&-79 ... 21-4168227

Many entry level purchasers go to Scarborough because it has more urban feel than suburbs such as Pickering etc,
Areas full of run down apartment buildings and shady characters will always be a temporary solution and people will leave, regardless if it's Scarborough or not, Scarborough has plenty of those but also just as many areas with new custom homes or well maintained neighbourhoods.
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2017
3130 posts
5997 upvotes
Toronto/Markham
There is plenty of potential in Scarborough and like I mentioned earlier, I am a fan.

That said in the aggregate Scarborough isn't attractive, on the micro level there are a handful of beautiful areas.
Realtor®