• Sep 14th, 2021 2:48 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2006
2568 posts
6587 upvotes
Canada

Scene Rewards is becoming Scene+ on November 22, 2021

Starting November 22, 2021†, SCENE® will become Scene+ TM, an evolved program that brings you new partners, better rewards, simpler ways to earn points and more flexible ways to redeem them.

Earn points on hotels and car rentals
Redeem points on flights, hotels, and car rentals
Redeem points through the Apple or Best Buy catalogues or for digital and physical gift cards from 60+ brands

Your SCENE points balance and account number aren’t changing. If you currently have a Scotiabank credit or debit card that earns Scotia Rewards® points, your Scotia Rewards points balance will be automatically transferred to your Scene+ account on November 22 at the same value1. If you are a current Scotia Rewards program member who does not have a SCENE account, you will be sent your new Scene+ account details closer to November 22.

22 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2013
1709 posts
2467 upvotes
West
Any word on how redemption for travel will work? I'm guessing the rates will be awful...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2006
2568 posts
6587 upvotes
Canada
Phonophoresis wrote: Any word on how redemption for travel will work? I'm guessing the rates will be awful...
From the FAQ:
You can earn and redeem when you book your next trip with Scene+ Travel – our third-party service travel centre that is part of the new Scene+ program. Earn 3 points for every $1 you spend on your hotel and car rental when booked through Scene+ Travel. Redeem in increments of 100 points for $1 toward your next flight, hotel, or car rental when you book with Scene+ Travel.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 26, 2014
5312 posts
5309 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
That's actually legit goofy that the earn rate is different (worse) than the base rate (of 5 pts/$) but the redeem rate is still the same.

E: Also you can't earn on flights but you can redeem on flights? Errrrrrrr okay.

EE: Also I'm curious if when they say "Apple and Best Buy catalogues" they mean there's an actual "catalogue" of stuff you can buy in pre-set amounts (like an iPad is 35,000 points) or if you can legit buy anything. I'm assuming the redeem rate will be worse than 100 pts = $1 off but hopefully it's better than the current rate for getting Best Buy GCs (it's like 135 pts = $1 off so you lose 35% of your point value).
Deal Fanatic
Dec 26, 2014
5312 posts
5309 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
Hold up I think they gave it away in the Quebec section Face With Tears Of Joy I didn't realize this Apple/Best Buy catalogue thing was actually from the Scotia Rewards program, I thought it was legit a totally new thing.

145 points!? That's losing almost 50% of its value!
May 7, 2015
431 posts
632 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Seems like a desperate ploy to remain relavent. I may be wrong, other than teenagers do people still go to theatres?
I guess you can redeem rewards anywhere now a days with Scotiabanks visa but still
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
17762 posts
15225 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
moeymoeymoeymoe wrote: Seems like a desperate ploy to remain relavent. I may be wrong, other than teenagers do people still go to theatres?
I guess you can redeem rewards anywhere now a days with Scotiabanks visa but still
Because Scene began with the Movie Theatres … I can see where everyone assumes that’s all there is / there core audience

However, I am 60+ … and been a Scene Member (Card only … NO CC or Scotiabank Accounts) since Day # 1 of the program

Sure we use the points for the occasional movie … esp VIP Cinema Experiences … but for us right from the get go it’s been our “Entertainment Card” to collect points and redeem at Cdn Restaurants in the OLD Cara Food Group = NOW Recipe Unlimited Group. At the likes of Harvey’s, Swiss Chalet, East Side Mario’s, Montana’s, Kelsey’s, Milestones, and Bier Market. In the last 14 or so years, we’ve enjoyed a lot of good casual meals c/o this Loyalty Program.

So I am hoping that the NEW Scene+ Program offers more of the same, or even more opportunities for better things that perhaps some of my other Cdn Loyalty Programs do not
Aug 28, 2019
78 posts
174 upvotes
Winnipeg
Much ado about nothing with this one by the looks of it. They took a swing in the direction of PC Optimum, only to then hit themselves instead.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do" -Oscar Gamble (1949-2018)
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
17762 posts
15225 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
ConnorsCompShow wrote: Much ado about nothing with this one by the looks of it. They took a swing in the direction of PC Optimum, only to then hit themselves instead.
Honestly … not seeing the correlation between Scene & PCO

If anything … I’d say they are moving in on Airmiles territory with their interest in the travel sector

Or … just trying to be more like RBC Rewards
That would make the most sense … as more than anything else Scene is really primarily a Banking Product run by ScotiaBank

Personally, wouldn’t be surprised if that’s the big change coming
Folks like me … will now NEED to be a ScotiaBank customer to play the points game
May 7, 2015
431 posts
632 upvotes
Toronto, ON
PointsHubby wrote: Because Scene began with the Movie Theatres … I can see where everyone assumes that’s all there is / there core audience

However, I am 60+ … and been a Scene Member (Card only … NO CC or Scotiabank Accounts) since Day # 1 of the program

Sure we use the points for the occasional movie … esp VIP Cinema Experiences … but for us right from the get go it’s been our “Entertainment Card” to collect points and redeem at Cdn Restaurants in the OLD Cara Food Group = NOW Recipe Unlimited Group. At the likes of Harvey’s, Swiss Chalet, East Side Mario’s, Montana’s, Kelsey’s, Milestones, and Bier Market. In the last 14 or so years, we’ve enjoyed a lot of good casual meals c/o this Loyalty Program.

So I am hoping that the NEW Scene+ Program offers more of the same, or even more opportunities for better things that perhaps some of my other Cdn Loyalty Programs do not
I think you’d be better served with other credit cards. But to each their own. The cache only appeals to high schoolers imo

Lets be honest bier market is the only good restaurant on that list
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
17762 posts
15225 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
moeymoeymoeymoe wrote: I think you’d be better served with other credit cards. But to each their own. The cache only appeals to high schoolers imo

Lets be honest bier market is the only good restaurant on that list
Ya missed the point

Lol, got plenty of other Credit Cards
And earning points on them too … even at the same time = STACKING

Cuz again, as I said … WE DONT HAVE THE SCENE CREDIT CARD
Just the points card
So earning points on places we were going to eat at anyways

Not been to a Bier Market … none in my area

Casual eats / take out … nothing wrong with any of the others on the list
May 7, 2015
431 posts
632 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I see. Well if your stacking it makes sense. I don’t recall ever being asked for a scene card outside of a theatre and like I said the only restaurant on that list worth going to is bier market. Never been asked there maybe it’s new

Never been asked at Harvey’s either…
How are you stacking outside of the theatre?
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
17762 posts
15225 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
moeymoeymoeymoe wrote: I see. Well if your stacking it makes sense. I don’t recall ever being asked for a scene card outside of a theatre and like I said the only restaurant on that list worth going to is bier market. Never been asked there maybe it’s new

Never been asked at Harvey’s either…
How are you stacking outside of the theatre?
No one asks necessarily for the Scene Card … it’s like many other Loyalty Programs
It’s up to you the Consumer / Collector to know where it works

Cara Foods / Recipes Unlimited has been a FULL PARTNER in the program since forever
You can BOTH earn & redeem there
https://www.scene.ca/en-ca/

STACKING … as in earning on various products at the same time
I earn a minimum of 1 Scene Point / $ 3 Spent *
And pay with a CC that gives me other perks … be it Cash Back, or Points in another Program
(Like MC or AMEX )

* NOTE … I never just earn the Base Points for using Scene
I always get waaay more cuz I subscribe to emails and LOAD my bonus offers … just click on the link in the email to load
Typical Bonus Deals are multipliers … 10x, 15x, 20x, 25x, 30x, 40x, or even 50x the points for a limited time
Get such offers a few times a month at the various restaurant chains
Then it’s just a case of lining up my craving for take out with what offers I have on hand
May 7, 2015
431 posts
632 upvotes
Toronto, ON
PointsHubby wrote: No one asks necessarily for the Scene Card … it’s like many other Loyalty Programs
It’s up to you the Consumer / Collector to know where it works
That’s rarely the case. Go to a theatre they ask, go to a gas station they ask for a loyalty card, go to loblaws they ask.

Heck I’ve been asked if I have spc more than the scene card

But I believe you if you say they offer it. They apatently don’t ask that’s for sure
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
4072 posts
1387 upvotes
Durham Region
So basically they're just merging Scotia Rewards and SCENE into a single program.

Makes sense I guess. Truth be told I gave up on the program years ago when they devalued the rewards, and now that I live near a Landmark Cinemas location I never have to deal with Cineplex again anyways.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2012
1455 posts
1562 upvotes
Vancouver
If you have a Scotiabank credit card or chequing account, seems the "redeem points for travel" will continue to be the best redemption option, where point = $0.01 (i.e. 100 points is $1) applied as statement credit to any travel-related purchases made on your card
Deal Fanatic
Jan 30, 2012
8785 posts
2552 upvotes
multi city dweller
how will scotia amex affected by this change ..?
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2012
1455 posts
1562 upvotes
Vancouver
LOL808 wrote: how will scotia amex affected by this change ..?
Your points will be called "SCENE+" points and there will be a slightly different portal - the number of points earned, categories, and redemptions for travel/credit seem to be the same as before
Deal Fanatic
Jan 30, 2012
8785 posts
2552 upvotes
multi city dweller
sunnysidesolutions wrote: Your points will be called "SCENE+" points and there will be a slightly different portal - the number of points earned, categories, and redemptions for travel/credit seem to be the same as before
thnx ...

so effectively amount to no change ... Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Deal Fanatic
Dec 26, 2014
5312 posts
5309 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
So I redeemed some points last night for a Best Buy eGift Card (just for a quick purchase, just in case the points are in fact becoming further devalued). I definitely checked out and got right to the end when it said "We're experiencing more redemptions than normal, it might take longer".

But...

Signed in this morning, no points have been deducted from my account, and the eGift Card is still sitting in my Cart as if I never completed the transaction.

So now I'm trying to get through to someone and the wait time is just atrocious. The worst part with the live chat is that it doesn't actually give you an estimated wait time, it just says "Routing you to a live agent..." and sits there :/