Schengen visa as a Permanent Resident of Canada

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 4th, 2019 4:48 pm
[OP]
Jul 17, 2012
8 posts
Ottawa

Schengen visa as a Permanent Resident of Canada

I am a Canadian Permanent Resident (not a citizen yet), so for travelling to Europe I need to apply for the Schengen Visa. One thing that is confusing me is for applying for the visa I need to show a "Flight Itinerary or booking". Does anyone know how to get a "itinerary or booking" without purchasing the actual ticket? It doesn't make sense that someone purchases the ticket just to show it at the visa office and then if his visa is rejected he loses the price of the ticket. My itinerary might be a little complex since I plan to travel to multiple countries. I plan to stay the most in Italy, so it makes sense that I apply for the visa at the Italian Embassy. So far, my planned itinerary looks like this, entry to Rome and exit from Paris.
Canada - Rome
Rome - Venice
Venice - Santorini
Santorini - Paris
Paris - Canada

Any ideas how I can proceed with the visa application?
15 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
4981 posts
875 upvotes
Toronto
I have applied to lots of visa for my gf before so i know the process pretty well. if you provide all the information they required and you are working, living here and don't have financial issues i don't see an issue with getting the visa. But anyways you should check if your credit card covers Visa denial. I know the TD first class travel visa does so i always purchase the tickets anyways. i think some travel agency can help you "reserve" the tickets first but it might cost more.
HEATWARE 18-0-0 since 2006
EBAY 38-0-0 Since 2003

IG: mkdrone_
[OP]
Jul 17, 2012
8 posts
Ottawa
Thanks for your response. So far, I can see two options:

1. Buy refundable ticket (lot more expensive, and might charge cancellation fees). Apply for visa. If visa is either accepted or rejected, cancel ticket. If visa is accepted, buy new cheaper tickets.
2. Buy one-way ticket from Canada - Rome and Paris - Canada (cheaper than refundable tickets but no way to cancel). Apply for visa and hope for the best.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
4981 posts
875 upvotes
Toronto
antonbarua wrote: Thanks for your response. So far, I can see two options:

1. Buy refundable ticket (lot more expensive, and might charge cancellation fees). Apply for visa. If visa is either accepted or rejected, cancel ticket. If visa is accepted, buy new cheaper tickets.
2. Buy one-way ticket from Canada - Rome and Paris - Canada (cheaper than refundable tickets but no way to cancel). Apply for visa and hope for the best.
Which credit card are you using to buy? check if it covers visa denial. that's the best way in my opinion.

2. you can't buy 1 way ticket. you will get deny for sure. they need your full itinerary not just flying there but going back to Canada as well.
EBAY 38-0-0 Since 2003

[OP]
Jul 17, 2012
8 posts
Ottawa
Yes, I am buying 2 1-way tickets. I will be flying into one city and flying out of another. Is this not a good idea?

Canada - Rome
Paris - Canada

And yes, I have TD first class travel visa credit card.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
4981 posts
875 upvotes
Toronto
antonbarua wrote: Yes, I am buying 2 1-way tickets. I will be flying into one city and flying out of another. Is this not a good idea?

Canada - Rome
Paris - Canada

And yes, I have TD first class travel visa credit card.

then it's ok. you need to have a departing ticket as well. doesn't matter if it is 1 way then as long as it shows you are leaving EU. TD first class covers Visa issues. I suggest you buy your ticket through that. Make you are purchase your ticket on time and have enough time for visa application. In the Certificate of Insurance page 7 is the policy reegarding Visa.
Images
  • Capture.JPG
EBAY 38-0-0 Since 2003

Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
1902 posts
633 upvotes
Buy a ticket directly from aircanada.com, get the print out, refund right away. AC has a free 24 hours refund policy. Apply with the print out.

Similar procedure with all hotel bookings showing where you will be staying.
Mar 30, 2018
773 posts
714 upvotes
I got a travel itinerary from a travel agent, didn't pay for it. It wasn't a ticket, hotel bookings are normally refundable. You dont have to show all the bookings, just show the itinerary from/to Canada and local hotel stays in Italy. I did the same and got the visa a month ago
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
3128 posts
2039 upvotes
fyi make sure to apply well ahead, I applied for my wife and they said it would be 30 days, it ended up being over 80 days and we got the visa 3 days before we were departing, I almost cancelled our hotels ect.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
7010 posts
1362 upvotes
Scarborough
Book the visa appointment asap as those slots go fast as summer approaches. Just show itinerary no need for buying ticket before visa issuance. Good luck
Mar 30, 2018
773 posts
714 upvotes
Italy's appointment was booked for whole month so i ended up applying for Visa for France, you can check if VFS has an earlier appointment available
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
4981 posts
875 upvotes
Toronto
srz5095 wrote: Italy's appointment was booked for whole month so i ended up applying for Visa for France, you can check if VFS has an earlier appointment available
you can't just apply anywhere you want. if OP is staying more time in Italy, he/she has to apply at the Italian embassy.
EBAY 38-0-0 Since 2003

Mar 30, 2018
773 posts
714 upvotes
Correct, if you get visa to let's say Austria, you can still go anywhere you want. To apply for Austrian visa you will have to show that you plan to stay in Austria for most of your trip, your plan can obviously change after getting the visa
marktang wrote: you can't just apply anywhere you want. if OP is staying more time in Italy, he/she has to apply at the Italian embassy.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
4981 posts
875 upvotes
Toronto
srz5095 wrote: Correct, if you get visa to let's say Austria, you can still go anywhere you want. To apply for Austrian visa you will have to show that you plan to stay in Austria for most of your trip, your plan can obviously change after getting the visa
yes of course you can do that. But they still have the right to reject you at customs if they see that your itinerary is not the same as your visa if you apply to let's say Austria but end up not going there at all.
EBAY 38-0-0 Since 2003

Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
4981 posts
875 upvotes
Toronto
Keep checking their appointment page. I remembered when we were applying 2 yrs ago in April, there were no appointments until end of May but we wanted to go beginning of June. So i kept checking and i guess someone cancelled their appointment and i got a spot on a monday in April. Submitted everything and got my gf's visa back on Wednesday.
EBAY 38-0-0 Since 2003

Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2006
3695 posts
210 upvotes
Mississauga
If you book the highest cost flex ticket from Air Canada or Air Transat, you can get a full refund with no penalty. I did just that with an Air Transat flight. The refund was posted back to my credit card within 2 business days.

Many European airlines do charge a cancellation fee even with their highest flex ticket, so you should check carefully if you book with one of those.