Careers

Which school has the best undergraduate accounting course to become a CPA?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 15th, 2019 7:25 pm
[OP]
Aug 24, 2014
261 posts
31 upvotes
North York

Which school has the best undergraduate accounting course to become a CPA?

reputation and opportunity-wise?

Waterloo? U of T? York? Western? or Ryerson?
9 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35620 posts
21676 upvotes
Center of Universe
None...
There's really no correlation between the two, as you need real world work experience.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2011
1898 posts
418 upvotes
In terms of quality all the schools are the same. The courses are basically prescribed by the CPA bodies and at the undergrad level your instructors don't matter. You're not looking for a specific prof to study under like you would in most grad school situations. That said you may get a crappy prof or a great one for some courses.

That said reputation is different, Waterloo has one of the best reputations in industry. If my kid wanted to go into accounting I'd probably push Waterloo over U of T. I'd also try to dissuade them from being a CPA. Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Feb 15, 2018
342 posts
409 upvotes
Pretty much all Canadian universities offer accounting courses accredited by the CPA bodies. Best focus on getting the highest GPA.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2011
1898 posts
418 upvotes
canuckstorm wrote: Pretty much all Canadian universities offer accounting courses accredited by the CPA bodies. Best focus on getting the highest GPA.
Yup, accountants like numbers and GPA is king.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
2332 posts
704 upvotes
New Brunswick
Sum_guy wrote: Yup, accountants like numbers and GPA is king.
I never had an employer ask me for my GPA. They ask for degree and designation.

CPA will ask for GPA.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2007
5061 posts
1158 upvotes
Reputation has little to do with your personal experience and competence. I'd argue that the school you attend makes very little difference in the grand scheme of things. The key thing should be to look for a co-op program so you can get some real work experience on your resume. Or look for a program lighter on hours, so you can spend the time getting work experience.

Frankly half the stuff you learn you won't have the chance to ever practice. It's good to understand the fundamentals though. If you think from this standpoint, learning accounting and tax is never the bottleneck. The information is readily available online with a simple google search. You are paying for the degree, not the knowledge. CPA doesn't care where you fulfilled the requirements, as long as you have fulfilled them. And outside of a few young, egotistical hiring managers with "elitist" school mindsets, nobody cares what school you went to.

Becoming a CPA requires work experience. So again, there are people who complete all the course work, but missing the needed experience level. Employers also value experience above all else. It is simply the best indicator of your expected performance. GPA doesn't mean much.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2011
1898 posts
418 upvotes
raichu1 wrote: I never had an employer ask me for my GPA. They ask for degree and designation.

CPA will ask for GPA.
When I was in school the public firms wanted to know your GPA and it mattered for hiring.
Of course you need to get minimum grades for CPA acceptance, that's basic.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2011
1898 posts
418 upvotes
I'd agree with almost everything that BananaHunter said. No point in being miserable during four years of your life.

That said reputation is important in getting that first job. Networking matters and some co-op programs don't get included by all forms.