Students

School/training for people who want to work internationally?

[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2012
1444 posts
320 upvotes
Vancouver

School/training for people who want to work internationally?

Hello, I'm currently going to college at Langara College in BC. My original plan was to go into computer science, but then I quickly found out it wasn't for me, so now my plan is to get a diploma for something in humanities or sociology to work with people with developmental disabilities because it seems to be the requirement to get those positions.

My true passion is travelling to different countries and experiencing different cultures though, i've done some searching at two colleges Langara and Kwantlen University, there's nothing that really helps someone to get an international job. And i've tried talking to counselors about career advising and they had no idea either about how I could get a career to work internationally.

I was wondering if anyone would have any ideas or know schools that focus on getting a career internationally? I'm not quite sure yet about what career, but I love travelling and I love airports. I was thinking about getting a job at the airport but they seem to mostly pay literally minimum wage.
15 replies
Mar 26, 2012
360 posts
214 upvotes
The following career will let u travel internationally:
- Travel guide (bringing a group of Vancouver tourists to Asia or Europe)
- Teaching English in Asia
- Child care worker in Europe
But, the above jobs dont pay well.

If u score high marks in school, study marketing at a top ranked university (e.g,, Harvard or Stanford) and then get a marketing job in an international company that sells outside north america. The job should pay well.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2012
1444 posts
320 upvotes
Vancouver
fkungery wrote: The following career will let u travel internationally:
- Travel guide (bringing a group of Vancouver tourists to Asia or Europe)
- Teaching English in Asia
- Child care worker in Europe
But, the above jobs dont pay well.

If u score high marks in school, study marketing at a top ranked university (e.g,, Harvard or Stanford) and then get a marketing job in an international company that sells outside north america. The job should pay well.
thanks, those are good starting points. child care worker sounds interesting...
May 28, 2012
396 posts
341 upvotes
ONT
Having another language or two would probably help............
Dec 17, 2020
4 posts
1 upvote
Wow.. It's exciting knowing that this piece is quite applicable to me. Thank you for sharing
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2008
2990 posts
901 upvotes
GTA
SquirreI wrote: Hello, I'm currently going to college at Langara College in BC. My original plan was to go into computer science, but then I quickly found out it wasn't for me, so now my plan is to get a diploma for something in humanities or sociology to work with people with developmental disabilities because it seems to be the requirement to get those positions.

My true passion is travelling to different countries and experiencing different cultures though, i've done some searching at two colleges Langara and Kwantlen University, there's nothing that really helps someone to get an international job. And i've tried talking to counselors about career advising and they had no idea either about how I could get a career to work internationally.

I was wondering if anyone would have any ideas or know schools that focus on getting a career internationally? I'm not quite sure yet about what career, but I love travelling and I love airports. I was thinking about getting a job at the airport but they seem to mostly pay literally minimum wage.
Some schools have work experience or semesters where you can go abroad and do something, with a very good education though you can move from country to country on your own or internally with a firm that has locations all over the world.
Aug 14, 2015
946 posts
579 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
I've lived in several countries before.
Most people work in other countries predominately via company transfers - those are the core people I used to associate with.

The other group is the English teachers.

Which means just work for an international company and see if there are any company transfer opportunities.

I have barely ever come into contact with people in humanities. Seen some missionaries here and there, but those aren't really jobs.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2012
1444 posts
320 upvotes
Vancouver
spiritsBB wrote: I've lived in several countries before.
Most people work in other countries predominately via company transfers - those are the core people I used to associate with.

The other group is the English teachers.

Which means just work for an international company and see if there are any company transfer opportunities.

I have barely ever come into contact with people in humanities. Seen some missionaries here and there, but those aren't really jobs.
what sort of jobs do they hire for
Aug 14, 2015
946 posts
579 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
SquirreI wrote: what sort of jobs do they hire for
Not in humanities.

Bank of America, Adidas, Blackstone, University, Air Canada, Bosch to name a few.

With the exception of Adidas and Bosch who seem like your normal employees, they are professionals who have skill set locals don't have.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2012
1444 posts
320 upvotes
Vancouver
spiritsBB wrote: Not in humanities.

Bank of America, Adidas, Blackstone, University, Air Canada, Bosch to name a few.

With the exception of Adidas and Bosch who seem like your normal employees, they are professionals who have skill set locals don't have.
Heard that about Air Canada but can't seem to find any jobs with them aside from the cleaning jobs.
Dec 17, 2020
4 posts
1 upvote
I was searching if anyone can give me an advise about London Jobs agency. I got in touch with them and as far as i read on their website, they are offering a great help in finding jobs. I don't know should i proceed with contacting them. Are they a good company? It's difficult for us when trying to find a job, we don't want to lose our time.
Oct 25, 2020
4 posts
2 upvotes
That is a job we all pray for. Salary is good but there is a lot of work and one must try hard.
Oct 25, 2020
4 posts
2 upvotes
London Jobs did a great service for my father, he is in Ireland now. Process took a longer time than expected , but ok, it paid off. Now, everyone has different experience. I remember they were contacting with him daily, sometimes they were boring, but at the end, everything went through very well.
Dec 17, 2020
4 posts
1 upvote
Yes, that is true. They are always available and sometimes boring :) I surprised because they don't ask for money, but i guess they are already paid. Hoping for the best. Thank you!
Oct 25, 2020
4 posts
2 upvotes
I am connected with Olivia Patrick from London Jobs, hope she will do the same for me. As this pandemic is going on...
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4402 posts
410 upvotes
spiritsBB wrote:
Not in humanities.

Atikash wrote: London Jobs did a great service for my father, he is in Ireland now. Process took a longer time than expected , but ok, it paid off. Now, everyone has different experience. I remember they were contacting with him daily, sometimes they were boring, but at the end, everything went through very well.
Sorry, what's this London Jobs?
If anyone can provide a website that would be awesome as I'd like to move abroad to Europe in the near future. (not in hospitality though)

Also, if OP is under 30 (some countries are over 30), there's the youth working holiday visa that would allow them to travel/work abroad for a year or 2.
Additionally, hospitality (at least back in normal times) was a good way to travel and work abroad. When I used to be in hospitality, some co-workers of mine were able to get transferred abroad.