Careers

Schulich MBA - Real Estate & Infrastructure Specialization

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 26th, 2013 10:40 am
Jul 28, 2012
206 posts
42 upvotes

Schulich MBA - Real Estate & Infrastructure Specialization

I'm heading back to school for an MBA at Schulich and was looking into their Real Estate & Infrastructure MBA specialization program. Does anyone have any insight into it ex. what type of job opportunities it would likely lead to afterwards, what the job market is looking like + potential salary post MBA, whether the program is worth while? I just recently obtained my CA designation so if anyone can speak to how this specialization may work in conjunction with my CA for career options that would be awesome too.
8 replies
May 5, 2010
971 posts
119 upvotes
real estate analyst? could be on the accounting side, valuation side, or investments side. You could work for REITs, REOCs, Infrastructure managers etc, but I wouldn't expect much of a salary difference from your typical established CA.
Jul 8, 2009
282 posts
17 upvotes
You could work on the development/acquisition side for a developer. I wouldn't expect a salary increase initially, however the sky's the limit in real estate development

You could also work in financing reporting for a developer or REIT, but you're likely already qualified to do that.
Mar 5, 2008
250 posts
20 upvotes
Real estate is hot right now but not sure if will still be the case when you graduate. With a CA you might be able to network your mba to RE I banking or equity research if you play your cards right. It'll be even worse than PA hours though..
Deal Addict
May 16, 2005
3283 posts
869 upvotes
You can go work for Riocan. They seem to hire a lot of Schulich MBA's.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2006
1435 posts
127 upvotes
Midtown Toronto
There's a lot of infrastructure expertise in Toronto as well, certainly one of the top five centres globally for this type of expertise. Can't comment on the value of the Schulich degree however.
Jul 28, 2012
206 posts
42 upvotes
Sorry can you speak more on what a person's role in an infrastructure related job would be? To be perfectly honest I'm pretty familiar with the real estate/valuations job opportunities but not so much with the infrastructure related opportunities out there.
May 5, 2010
971 posts
119 upvotes
more or less valuation and forecasting.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2006
1435 posts
127 upvotes
Midtown Toronto
aspen300 wrote: Sorry can you speak more on what a person's role in an infrastructure related job would be? To be perfectly honest I'm pretty familiar with the real estate/valuations job opportunities but not so much with the infrastructure related opportunities out there.
They are similar in the fact that you are both looking to value a long-term stream of cash flows. There's less appetite for variability in returns for infrastructure investors so a much higher degree of the value tends to be underpinned by a long-term contract or granted monopoly (rather than facing renewal risk, competitive pricing, etc...). In a RE deal you tend to have a to make a leap of faith that your location plus host of other factors creates a very high barrier to entry such that you get to the same place. More development opportunities in RE vs. infrastructure (depends on the subsector).

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)