Scientific Calculator

[OP]
Nov 15, 2004
32 posts
120 upvotes
Red Deer

Scientific Calculator

Where can you get a good deal?

I need two I have 2 teenagers in High school.
34 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
4988 posts
6 upvotes
when I was in HS, i got a basic scientific calculator. I was always a proponent of not getting a fancy expensive calculator that has all the bells and whistles. It trains your mind to think through the problem instead of relying too much on the calculator to do the work for you.

hst, a basic 24.99 calculator at walmart will far surpass anything I ever owned and will do just about anything hs math will throw at them.
Jun 6, 2005
525 posts
1 upvote
24.99?

Way too much.

The University of Victoria Department of Mathematics and Statistics only allows one calculator to be used. And the thing costs like 6 or 7 bucks.

Sharp EL-510R

http://sharp-world.com/products/calcula ... /510r.html

You don't need anything better than that for high school or university. Anything that costs more than ten bucks is a royal waste of money.
Sep 3, 2004
385 posts
4 upvotes
I hate sharp calculators and their DAL. The button order seems all wrong to me and that model doesn't even a 2nd line to display the operations! That function is a must imho and is definitely not a waste of money.

My favourite calculator has to be the Casios. I've had two so far and I love my current fx-991 (or something like that). I think I got it for $20 in FS.

To me, a good scientific calcution should be have multi-line display, does fractions, has formula memory, memory of last few operations, unit conversions, a solver, easy to use stats functions, and does row reductions :) .
Jun 6, 2005
525 posts
1 upvote
I too prefer Casio. I used two different Casio models in high school.

To me two line display isn't really important. As long as the screen scrolls it's fine.

None of that stuff you list is really important. The only gripe I have with the sharp is the labelling of the buttons. x^2 should not be on 2nd function and the EXP button should be closer to the = button like on the casio. Also log, ln and e^x should not be 2nd functions.

Just pulled out my high school calculator which fell apart a couple years ago. Casio fx-991MS. Good calculator but too big and heavy. Good buttons though. I love the EXP button next to the equals button. And it has the constants preprogrammed. Saves time with ugly numbers like [MUo] (that is the permeability of free space) of 4piE-7 Tm/A.
Deal Fanatic
May 19, 2003
5033 posts
548 upvotes
Ancaster
Casios make great calculators! The fx-4500P is the best calculator I've had. A HS teacher gave it to me after finding it in her room a few years ago. I borrowed it from her and since I liked it so much I wanted buy it off of her. She told me to just keep it instead.

I love it so much I bought another one in HK (the one from the teacher was kind of banged up). Unfortunately the new one was stolen, but nonetheless I still have the old one! :cheesygri

It's programmable, which was useful when I did my physics lab homework, because there was a lot of repetitive calculations and having the ability to program it meant I can do them that much quicker. It doesn't do graphing though, which was alright with me. Never used it on tests either -- I didn't trust the programming function because I could've entered the wrong numbers into the program, whereas if I did the question from scratch I can just review the last entry to see if I made a mistake.
Jun 29, 2005
906 posts
25 upvotes
The FX-991MS is a really good calculator, though a tad on the pricy side. If all else fails, buy 'em two TI-83s. =P
xIcewind
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2003
2864 posts
291 upvotes
GTA
graphing calcs all the way

i've got a TI-83+
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2005
1297 posts
3 upvotes
i'm in highschool and u do need a scientific calculator in highschool for sure...

i have a texas intrsument something, i paid 43.99 i think, kinda high
Nov 21, 2003
848 posts
2 upvotes
I've used the Casio FX-991 since high school. It's also the only calculator allowed at Mac.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2005
1693 posts
102 upvotes
Yes, the Casio FX-991 MS is by far the best scientific calculator around. You really dont need a graphing calculator when you've got a FX-991 MS.
Jun 29, 2005
716 posts
8 upvotes
woot! for casio calcs!
I love mine, although i don't have it right here to tell you the model, but it does everything I need it to do. I've only really learned what it can really do during Uni since i never used any of it in HS
"He who laughs last, thinks slowest"
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2002
1359 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto
I have the Sharp EL-510R calculator right now - have been using them since Grade 7 (I think I've had 3), and they are great. The only thing is, now that I'm going into University, mine wants me to use a Sharp EL-520. They say they'll take my EL-510 away if they see it on the exam. The 520 model is bigger, better, and has 2 lines on display. It's $18.99 at Staples last time I checked.
Jun 14, 2003
394 posts
7 upvotes
f00kie wrote:I have the Sharp EL-510R calculator right now - have been using them since Grade 7 (I think I've had 3), and they are great. The only thing is, now that I'm going into University, mine wants me to use a Sharp EL-520. They say they'll take my EL-510 away if they see it on the exam. The 520 model is bigger, better, and has 2 lines on display. It's $18.99 at Staples last time I checked.
I hate the Sharp EL-520 because the button's poor tactile feedback/speed

I used to have the 991 but I lost it when I left HS, so I've been using my little brother's casio fx-270w, really good tactile feedback and it's allowed used in engineering at uoft

Depending on what you are going into, you don't use most of the functions in the calculator anyways. afterall you are not going to unversity to learn how to use your calculator...

I think none of the math courses will let you use calculator (nor should you need one) so my calculator always ended up doing really basic math.
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2003
11504 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
If you aren't picky, Wal-Mart sometimes has specials on scientific calculators.

Unless you're getting a graphing one, should be about $15 apiece.
Heatware | eBay | (Last updated 12-28-2008)
Jun 4, 2005
19 posts
I must admit, for the price, the casio calculators are much better than the sharp ones.
That being said, I still love TI most, I have a TI-89ti. (not Even biased).
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2005
1198 posts
361 upvotes
I also advice you to get the Casio FX-991 MS calculator, they're great and it will be all you need for highschool
Banned
Feb 15, 2004
10735 posts
6 upvotes
Graphing if teacher insisits.
Otherwise scientific, the brand doesn' matter much to me. Make sure it has pi, inverse, sin/cos/tan, binary-hex-etc is optional (good if they take comp eng in 10-12) and all the other features of calculators.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)